RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing utility poles and lines?

Old 10-20-2004, 01:14 PM

Removing utility poles and lines?

Hello everyone. I haven't been by here in quite a while and it's good to be back. My skills are slipping as I haven't done much photo editing lately. I am looking for a thread I saw several months ago here that described how to remove utility poles and lines. It said to take 4 or more pictures of the object from slightly different angles. Then it described how to remove the poles/lines by adding each picture in as a layer and removing the lines from each picture. Does anybody know which thread I'm talking about? I played golf yesterday at a beautiful course and snapped 4 pictures of this silo, so that I could practice the technique. I can't find the thread now though, so I don't know where to start
can anybody help out? Thanks!

http://img91.exs.cx/img91/9458/Perry...19-2004012.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2004, 01:34 PM

You don't need anything so fancy This is a great example of a picture that can be retouched with just the clone brush.

I've done a quick and dirty retouch of it to show what you can do. I didn't go back and clean up the artifacts I left like I would if this was a real project I was working on.

But this will give you an idea of what you can do All I did was use the cloning tool. If I wanted to clean it up more, I would then go back over the areas that have some pattern artifacts and use the healing brush to clean up those areas.

- Noel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cloning.jpg (92.8 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2004, 01:40 PM

thanks... i guess this would be the simplest way to do it huh? I was getting too bogged down in trying to do it the hard way.
and good job at removing the lines/pole. I'll try it the 'easy' way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2004, 01:44 PM

Trust me, I'm the master of doing things the hard way I can't count how many times my partner has looked over my shoulder and said "why are you doing it that way? "

I had a very similiar picture I worked on, old ford in front of a dealership in 1908. Excellent picture once I removed all the hanging ropes and dangling wires from it

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2004, 02:04 PM

Hi Lamboe, I remember the post you were asking about, but I can't find it either. However I did find a technique you could try here.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/index.php?m=show&id=52
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2004, 04:29 PM

The tutorial and thread you're thinking of (by Rexx) is here -- but I agree with Noel, for the image you're working with you don't really need to get that complicated and can just clone out the offending articles. The "X-ray brush" technique is more for cases where there are a lot of obstructions or they are covering up areas of detail so you can't rely on cloning alone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2004, 06:41 PM

Would a 'float and fill' technique be useful here?, not got PS opened so I am merely speculating.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration