RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How bad is this glass glare?

Old 12-24-2004, 01:53 AM

Thanks all.

Ron,

This was shot with studio strobes using a diffusion panel (my weapon of choice)

The problem is this kid has a super strong perscription so regardless of what I did, I got glare. I pulled out the beauty dish, bounced the light from umbrellas, put him on the far side of the light. Regardless of what I did, he had catch lights. The other two's glasses weren't so bad, just his cause of the "coke bottle" effect. Next time in that situation, I'm going to have them either get rimless glasses or shoot a pic with his glasses off. the one I got with his glasses off, my mother in law was in the way. These are foster kid xmas car pics so nothing fancy.

From a photographic point of view, I should have had a rim light or hair light on them or at least the guy on the right for seperation but thats a whole nother thread lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2004, 09:28 AM

Sounds like you've tried just about everything. By the way I like "floor" perspective. Is it possible to bounce off the ceiling with a fill below. I know it's a low key setting. Just a thought.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2004, 12:16 AM

If you have a fill coming from the floor up, it will create whats known as "horror" film lighting, i.e. the kind of light you get when you put the flashlight under your nose when telling ghost stories. Very unflattering lighting.

I hate bouncing off the walls. It gives a very flat photo look.

If you can explain a bit more about the floor thing, I can go into a bit more.

Thanks
jay
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2004, 01:17 AM

Hi Jay

Believe me, I'm not much of a photographer. I just thought that given a world of compromise, a bounce flash off the ceiling with a floor mounted flash to offset the " horror " look might help reduce the glare. Perhaps I'm not understanding the effects of " Coke Bottle " glasses and glare. I've not tried a low camera perspective so I'm kind of way out of my league here.
Anyhow, have a great Christmas and New Years!!!

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2004, 09:17 AM

First i pinpoined one colour and painted it with around 30% in the area where it was white. then smudged it to get a smooth transition. After that i cloned at 30 % from the areas around the eyes so it wouldn't be too smooth
I made the glasses darker in the corner but not too much and then i put some makeup. Darker lines around the eyes so it would look more like the other one. Here is my result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resample.jpg (67.1 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 03:43 AM

I selected the outer 3rd of the right eye and glasses, copied to layer, edit-> transform->flip horizontal, moved it over the left eye, then erased all that interfered with what i thought was still ok in the left eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample_a.jpg (75.3 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2005, 03:55 PM

Picasa2 is GREAT!

Hey Jay, I did the corrections with a combination of Picasa2 and Photoshop.
First in Picasa2, I did a white adjustment in the tuning, and then I did an Effect, using the Tint and made adjustments until I liked the coloring. Saved it, exported/imported it into Photoshop where I magnified the glare on the right eye to about 600% (the only object from the picture in the window was the right eye with eyeglass frame) and did cloning of the eye lid and under the eye, then blurred to smooth it out, did eyedropper from black eyeglass frame and added some of this color (sparingly) to the part of the frame which had glare, took eyedropper from the other eyes iris, and painted the glared eye (now they match), did some level adjustments to the entire pix, just to warm it up a bit and here it is...
Now let me see if I can add the attachment.... LOL

Folks I highly recommend you go to Google and download the FREE Picasa2, it's GREAT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample1 adjusted.psd.jpg (61.8 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration