RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Cleaning Dust from Photos/Scanner

Old 12-16-2004, 07:45 AM

Cleaning Dust from Photos/Scanner

Hello,

I have a cloth used to clean eyeglasses and wondered if this would be okay to clean my scanner glass and to even use on the photo itself to remove dust.

Thanks,

Mona
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2004, 08:30 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I'm not an expert on this, but I don't know why it wouldn't be OK. Personally, I keep my scanner covered with a sheet of plastic cut from a garbage bag when not in use. This helps keep it clean.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2004, 10:06 PM

I've been using Flents Optico opti-mist, an anti static liquid I
bought from Target stores. It's intended for optical glass.
It comes in a clear plastic container, round, about 6 inches high
and an inch or so in diameter.

I spray (fine mist) it on, then use a soft cloth
to wipe it off. I use a very old white T shirt.
Seems to help. I use it once in a while.
For very light dusting, a can of compressed air helps too.

I'm not sure if the scanner glass is actually glass or a hardened plastic.
Perhaps it's worth contacting the manufacturer for specifics.

My scanner is a 1999 Epson Expression 800.
regards,
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2004, 03:38 PM

I use one of those high density cloths on any glass but coated optics; could probably use there too but I'm just not sure. I use it on the non-emulsion side of transparecies to lift dust and fingerprints. I have accidentally scratched prints with them.
Chip
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2004, 05:12 PM

Exclamation Cleaning dust from scanner

Scanner glass should be treated like one of your lenses. i.e. like a $2,000 piece of very delicate crystal. The cloth you mentioned (silk like matierial?) is fine unless it's dirty. After a couple of uses it will have dust (or worse) embedded in the fibers. This will scratch glass. Recomend that you.....

Dust should be removed with canned air, an anti-static brush or a very light brushing with lens tissue. Use short sharp bursts with the canned air to prevent any of the propellant from getting onto the glass. Also keep the can upright for the same reason. Use only fresh/clean lens cleaning tissue or something like PEC-PAD Lint Free Photo Wipes. Don't re-use them. I would rather leave the dust/smudge than scratch the glass with a t-shirt or kleenex. (I've learned that one the hard way!)

Lens cleaning fluid is designed to remove fingerprints and other oily smudges. Not meant to be used for dust removal. Do Not spray lens cleaning fluid directly on the glass. This might remove coatings that are important for color, contrast and overall image quality. (Some scanners have it. Others don't) Spray a small amount onto the lens tissue. Allow it to soak in for a couple of seconds, then lightly clean the glass with small circular motions. Do not put pressure on the glass. It will scratch. Check for remaining smudges and repeat the procedure. Be patient. Sometimes it will seem that you're only moving the grease around. Don't let this push you into applying additional pressure. You'll only damage the lens/glass.

I may have forgotten something.Hope someone will chime in.

I'm new here. I'll try to check in this evening.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2004, 05:23 PM

Welcome aboard Dave and Ron. Telluride is certainly a beautiful place! Thanks to both of you for your input.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2004, 06:36 PM

Ed L

Thanks Ed,

Covering your scanner as you do is a great solution to the dust problem. I also take care to thoroughly clean my work area with a damp cloth regularly as well as wash the piece of cloth I use to cover the scanner(s).

Just stepped back in for a moment. Now it's time to step out for a Christmas cocktail party. WooHoo!

Looking forward to the challenges here. Hope I can be of help. Really enjoy teaching this stuff. I'm not a "guru" though I know what I know very well. My free time is varied and limited, but I will do my best to respond.

Haven't had a lot of time to check out the forum. I see that yor're an experienced member. Feel free to blast me when I step over the line. For example, this should probably be a private message to you. Correct?

Best,

Ron
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2004, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Semrod
I see that yor're an experienced member. Feel free to blast me when I step over the line. For example, this should probably be a private message to you. Correct?
If, by experienced, you mean I have a big mouth you're right. I only consider myself to be intermediate at best, even though I've been a member of the site since World War I .

Although Doug prefers us to stick to the topic in the thread, you certainly had something to say concerning that, and we appreciate it. So I doubt he'll reprimand you for the little added wording. Good to have you aboard.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration