RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Making Panorama in PS but having problem

Old 12-30-2004, 08:27 AM

Making Panorama in PS but having problem

I have taken 5 pic of a mountain range & when i merge it in the PS, i am getting a line which show the all the 5 pic are stict together to get the Panoram. I am using PS 7, but i have photomerge in photoelement too.

Looking for a aptimum solution for the same & how could i can remove this lines & should i go to any PS expert to get the job done.

Attaching the image which i am facing problem. or u can see my gallery in the below link http://rawat.fotopic.net/

best regards & happy new year.........kiran
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 series.jpg (42.7 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2004, 09:00 AM

Kiran, i have never tried photomerge before. Don't know if this is a common problem. Did you use the same camera settings, f-stop and shutter speed, for each section of the panorama?
kiska
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2004, 10:32 AM

I think your problem is where you get your meter reading for each shot. You will obviously get a different exposure if on one frame you meter the mountain and the second the sky. Many cameras have an AE (Auto Exposure) feature. Click and hold on the the same spot on one picture and recompose all other frames based on this exposure.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2004, 11:01 AM

The two keys for shooting a panorama like this are to shoot them fast, and shoot them on the same settings. (I use a mount that centers the film or chip over the pivot point to prevent distortion.) Get ready for the first shot, set your apature and shutter speed, get everything in focus. Then as fast as you can, shoot, turn, shoot, until you have all the pictures. If you leave anything on auto, you'll get the inconsistency and the panorama won't blend well.

As to the one you're working on, just try to match the images manually as well as you can.

Take care,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2004, 01:33 PM

Hi Kiran, the problem you have is quite common, as Mike said it is necessary to ensure you use the same settings, and take the shots quickly to avoid changes in exposure. What I usually do is to do a levels adjustment on each shot to even out the exposure prior to doing a photomerge. However, you will almost always get some variation across the panorama. This can be evened out with a soft light layer, and paint in light and dark using soft black and white brushes set to approx 10%. I enclose a picture of my own done using this method.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg View from Captain Cook's Monument2.jpg (84.6 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 12-30-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2004, 02:27 PM

I have had very good success using the color match feature to help match the layers in a panoramic photo. Since you can match a layer to another layer in the same file it's pretty easy and can help greatly.

Here is a panoramic I made from 4 photos using the color match method as the main means of matching the layers to each other. Of course I felt obligated to remove the telephone lines, air conditioning compressor and trash dumpster from the foreground of the photos. But then the pictures were shot from a gas station parking lot so what can you expect.

Please post your results because your photos will make great panoramic pics.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fallpanasmall.jpg (91.8 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2004, 04:14 PM

I've only done a few panaramic pictures, but had quite good success with them. I'm afraid I can't post any at the mo as my main graphics pc is down.

Having run photoshop's photomerge, tick the box that leaves the layers separate - this then gives you the ability to do all the 'tweaking' that we love. There are odd bits that I've needed to Free Transform to match properly, and run slight levels adjustments (adj layers) to each layer to get a perfect blend. I found it easier to do the levels adjustments once the panorama was done, so I could see exactly what needed doing. You can get a perfect panorama in just a few minutes doing it that way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2005, 07:35 AM

thx guys,
thx for ur support, attaching different paranoma done in PS element photomerger.
i do have taken pic in apeture mode only, that is why i got different sutter speed, well i will not do this kinda of mistake in future
Colite.....this paranoma is for u
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (75.0 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2005, 01:35 PM

Some Tips

I shoot almost only panos and mosaics and have put together hundreds, some with as many as 36 photos, avg. for a typical shot is 12.

Tip One - Lock the white balance. This is a must!!!

Tip Two - For you first 10 panos use the same exposure for all shots. This means you need to think about the total exposure for the full view and balance it. I have some shots that I have blended exposures from 8 sec. to 1/8 sec.

Tip Three - Use the best software I use PTgui. It can be found here http://www.ptgui.com/

Another software that is almost exactly the same is PTassembler it can be found here http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr.htm

Also read the forms for PTassembler they are the best bar none and all the info will work for PTgui also. http://www.tawbaware.com/forum2/

To do panos RIGHT has a bit of a learning curve but the rewards are so so big.

To see just a few of my photos check out http://www.absoluteinspiration.com/

If you email me the orginals for one of your panos I could throw it together for you. ai@absoluteinspiration.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2005, 02:23 PM

Wizzard7. Good Stuff! I have a Nikon D100 which has a number of white balance settings. What do you mean by locking?

Dave
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration