Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Red hue when printing b&w scan

Old 12-31-2004, 08:12 AM
Red hue when printing b&w scan

I've scanned an old b&w into a tiff grayscale file (using Elements 2) for retouching, fixing etc but when its printed out I'm seeing a slight red hue (that's not seen on the monitor image). Color correction is not available to use (its grayed out). What are my options to correct this?

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2004, 11:31 AM
Here's 1 Way

While you are waiting for a better answer.. you can fiddle with the modes... that is make it RGB then greyscale then back to RGB if you wish.... this should make those GREYED OUT options re-appear.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2004, 12:40 PM
Don't know if this is any help. I have an epson c82 printer. On bw it prints reddish or greenish depending if the image is grayscale or rgb. I think it's a printer problem.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2004, 01:06 PM
I've had a similar problem with Epson Luster papers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Sounds like an ICM problem...

Grayscale images have no color information so the problem might lie in the ICM; depending on the way the printer and software are set up, this could be either the Software ICM that sends the information to the print queue or the way the printer interprets the grayscale information coming from the computer. Either way you need to adjust the ICM so that you are sending the printer information that will allow it to print the grey you want.

I'm no expert at creating or modifying ICMs, but I have an entire folder of them from the various printers I have worked with in the course of my job. (By printers I mean print houses that do the large print runs for the college I work for, not printers like the machine you use to print.) Every printer (meaning the hardware) really needs a compatible ICM to translate the colors so they print accurately. Start by adjusting the color management settings (I don't know if this exists in elements) to see if any of the standard ones will work well with your printer, if not I'd Google for instructions on how to set one up.

Hope this helps, and sorry for being long winded,

Last edited by MBChamberlain; 12-31-2004 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Oops, big typo...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Thank you Michael! I'll look into the advice that you've offered.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2004, 02:41 PM
You might want to read this article.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2005, 10:43 AM
B&W printing

I work in a pro lab and print on an Epson 10000 (6 ink system). Printing B&W without any hue can only be done using only black ink. I tried everything including tweaking icm's and icc's, but printing grayscale using the color cartridges will always present a hue. The hue, also, will change color depending on the type of light hitting it. Bring it into the sunlight and it turns green. Unfortunately, while you may be able to print in only black ink, many printers don't offer photo quality using just black ink. However, for the Christmas season, we made specialty watercolor bifold cards and successfully printed many B&W images using an Epson 2200 (7 ink system).

Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2005, 03:20 AM
Try this one on for size.

I've had issues also with inkjet prints where, aside from emulsion depth issues, they change color to an extreme degree depending on how much natural or artificial light there is. I've heard of TRUE BLACK printers, but they only print black and white. My hope is to someday find a miniature chemical emulsion printer that is designed for both true black and white emulsion and color as well. Say goodbye to the ink problem. All i'd need to do with THAT machine is set an auto-recalibration to perform every day or two. Nice dream, eh?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration