RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Can a copy (xerox) of a photo be turn back into a "real" photo?

Old 01-03-2005, 10:01 AM

This is a good portrait, and the quality of the print is excellent considering it is a Xerox. I used curves to highlight the existing details, then levels to regain the blacks, then did a little cloning to repair the damaged areas. I also thought it would look good in color. I like the idea of having an oil painting made from the picture, it sounds like that is really your best bet at this point.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family-portrait.jpg (84.3 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by MBChamberlain; 01-03-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 10:18 AM

MBChamberlain,

Is very interesting that you have coloured your picture, but in reality when a family are asked to pose for a portrait, they are noramlly asked in advance to selective clothing that is neutral to each other so that not any one person stands out more than the rest (not an easy task might i add).

Not even sure if they have colours that bright back in the day.

Anyways, just a piece of mindless info
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 10:29 AM

I'm a photographer and I am fully aware of that fact. I actually had a group in mind from a wedding I shot recently, where all the guys were in tuxedos, but all the bridesmaids were in matching dresses in a variety of pastels...(by recently I mean last spring).

I see what you mean about the colors being a little bright.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 09:26 PM

OMG! MBChamberlain that is amazing!! Utterly amazing. I was initially against colorizing the pic (blame Ted Turner), but after seeing your example, I'm floored.

I'm going to save this to my C: drive and show my two great Aunts who are in that pic. They are 95 and 97 today. In the pic, they are the two girls on either end with the bows in their hair. My grandfather is the rather sober looking young man on the upper right. You rock!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 11:57 PM

Other here are far better than I at this but here is my quick and simple attempt. My main goal was to try and keep the maximum amount of detail. Needs alot more time than I have to spend tonight but with patience you could have a decent picture considering what the original was.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family2n.jpg (85.8 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2015, 12:30 AM

Re: Can a copy (xerox) of a photo be turn back int

I am very impressed with what you all were able to do to improve the photocopied picture. I am in a similar situation in that I am writing a family history book and am collecting photographs from members of a large family. One person sent me photocopies of some very old pictures. Most of them are very grainy and in poor shape. I am new to this forum and have very little experience with Photoshopping pictures let alone xerox end copies. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoo View Post
I am very impressed with what you all were able to do to improve the photocopied picture. I am in a similar situation in that I am writing a family history book and am collecting photographs from members of a large family. One person sent me photocopies of some very old pictures. Most of them are very grainy and in poor shape. I am new to this forum and have very little experience with Photoshopping pictures let alone xerox end copies. Any suggestions?
Welcome to RetouchPRO
Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
Poke around, have fun!

RetouchPRO is a place for help, with abundant offerings of knowledge, opinions, or just interesting thoughts, We are a remarkably troll-free and welcoming group.

Go to Restoration Forum, Start a New Thread, Post a copy of the Original, state the problems you are having, post your WIP (Work In Progress)

When you post your work, post how you did it. or, post stages of your work. there's nothing like a picture sequence to show how a thing progressed to the final stage.

Each post helps thousands of future users, not just you.

Just one thing to help the forum... If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described in this thread:
(Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images..)
The save for web function in the latest Photoshop is hidden under File>Export>Save for web (legacy)

This thread explains (How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads )

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also, always please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links). (link to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload)

If you become a "Patron" You can attach files up to 1MB to any post, You won't see any ads on the site, There's a private forum just for Patrons, You can display an automatic signature under your posts, Your posts will clearly identify you as a Patron, so everyone knows of your generous support.

Welcome aboard !
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2016, 12:35 PM

Here is my work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family-retouchweb.jpg (96.3 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Patron

Well The challenge is to see if you can preserve the darker side of this photo. I would imagine its a high contrast original and the shadow side was quite dark. A couple of things can help. One is Image Adjustment Shadow Highlights and the other is the exposure adjustment layer where you can lower the gamma some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family.jpg (131.5 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2017, 03:01 AM

I am new to this site. I have never posted before. I also have a photocopy of a photograph which is in very poor condition. I would love to enhance it a little more but from what I read I am not a hopeful. I will try to attach the picture.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration