RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help Me Please!!

Old 01-19-2005, 09:11 AM

question on these types of images

Hi Everyone

I've been wondering about this question for awhile, and am not that deep into playing with photoshop yet.

For photos that have warps and bends (like this image) is it possible to take slices of the areas and manipulate them in a someway to change the plane to try to achieve the look of a flat surface?

I did something like this physically once ( it was a bugger, too fragile to unroll all the way) by bracing a curved print and shooting the work as I shifted it.
I then was able to manually slice the planes, mount them on a wax board and shoot another copy to do the manipulation work to hide my slice marks.
Is there a way to do this in PS at all?

I am finding many things i much prefer doing in PS, it is just taking me a lot of playing to transfer the manual skills into the new tool, so to speak.

Thanks!
Juliana
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2005, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliana Ross
Hi Everyone

( it was a bugger,

Juliana
Yep, a real tough problem. Yes you can make slices. Have fun. Your quote explains it thoroughly. There are other ways to manipulate a photo. The list is long and the techniques are almost as varied as the people who do the work. The bottom line is experiment and find what works best for you.

I know. I know. That isn't much of an answer. I'm sure there are several who can give you a better one that is more technically oriented and easy to follow. Remember, however, , I'm left handed and my brain works backward sometimes. See the recent thread about lefties. Giggle.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2005, 12:59 PM

thing is I know how to do this by hand you know the whole "back in my day we didn't have yer fancy photoshop....blah blah blah"

it is just waaaaay labour intensive along with being a huge pain.

I am trying to figure how and if it can be done in PS

Juliana
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2005, 09:42 PM

Thumbs down Thanks for This Final Version

Well folks, here is my final version of my friend's great, great grandmother! I think after using all of your suggestions and techniques (plus some that I found on the web), I came out with a pretty good likeness of her. When she was finished, I could even see my friend's features in her. Gail, my friend, loved the picture and she said it looks like her mom. I've never seen her mom! This was a real challenge and I couldn't have completed it without all of your kind help. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indian Lady.jpg (36.6 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2005, 07:18 AM

Kudos for sticking it out and triumphing over a very difficult hurdle. You did an excellent job.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2005, 09:14 AM

I like the overall soft tone of the finished image, giving a nice dream like feel. And I quite like how you handled making sense out of what she was wearing, working with what you could and creating where you could not Your airbrushing work is great.

The only thing that looks a bit off to me is the line of her cheekbone and jaw on the right hand side of the image. It appears that the shape of her face has changed from the original image.

In cases like this in the past, I've used a technique where I have laid a sheet of acetate over a copy print (never on the original) and with a rapidograph pen, free handed in the facial features.
I then used this guide as I was working on a piece, pausing and laying it over my work print as I was going.
I have managed to use this method in PS with good effect by doing the same thing on a transparent layer, and cliking off the eye when I did not need it. The nice thing about doing it in PS is that I can vary the opacity of the layer to see how I am coming along.

I have also been creating a "swipe file" of things like eyes, ears, hands, feet from other images...so if I need one, I can pull one that I can piece into the image.
Best thing my art teacher ever taught me to do.
When I get stuck, I literally "swipe" the part I need from my collection and use it directly in the image, or keep it up on the side as a guide for my work.

Good job on a real toughie!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration