RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Body Sculpting

Old 01-24-2005, 06:31 PM

Body Sculpting

Hello Michael & Phil,

Great example Michael. I like the way you finished the arm component... smooth... Very similar to what Noel seems to have done with the young lady. There just doesn't seem to be much of this stuff (tutorial or explanation) posted on the web, as examples or it isn't explained.

I was hoping a few people here would have had some experience with and would be willing to share their approach and work.

Phil, I agree with you the transform should work very well for some work. thank you for the other idea.

I really enjoy the way seasoned photoshop people seem able to come up with alternative ways to do things that sometimes seem like they can only be done one or two ways.

Sean
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2005, 06:35 PM

There's a lot of good books on the market that address this issue. One good one is The Art of Photographing Women by Kevin Ames.

Something else that works well for me on certain areas is using Distort: Pinch. Generously select the area of concern using a high feather radius.

Dave

Last edited by Duv; 01-24-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2005, 11:01 PM

Body Sculpture

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the info. I have looked briefly through the Ames and Eismann books in the book store, but they both seemed to have only one or two (at most) body sculpting pieces, usually having to do with minor imperfections and blending. Retouchpro seems like a place that keeps on finding new things and ways of approaching retouching and restoration. I have certainly learned more from the posts, Q&A and tutorials here than in any of the books i have. Mind you i have only been at this a short time

I have several books on Photoshop, including the bible and a few others, so I invest in it, but again, this area seems to be one that is not really fashionable, but it is nice to know how if it drops in the pot :-)

Thank you again for the suggestion for a distort, pinch and feather approach. Can't tell you how much I appreciate the input to date.

Sean

Sean
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2005, 03:21 PM

please help

Hi i am new to this site and ran across your post. i am looking for some whole body images that have been altered..such as the hips, muscles, butt..etc..pretty much like you did in this post...did you have any luck finding any samples? i am looking for some before and after shots...let me know how it has gone for you..thanks...julie

I'm new to this forum so hope I am not duplicating previous requests. has anyone done any tutorials or challenges on body scuplting. It is my impression that a lot has been done on the glamour and portrait side, but little on the hands on of improving a picture for someone who is self-conscious. I am referring to the alteration of: hips; double chins; lazy eye thighs, buttocks, triceps etc.

Any comments or information would be helpful. it would be nice to see a Challenge where perhaps a few body parts may be altered.

Unfortunately, I am not a professional photographer and do not have any photographs to post, but am interested in this form of retouching.

Regards,

Sean2[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 11:06 PM

Body Sculpting

hello Julie,

Sorry for not getting back earlier - computer problems. As to samples, not many unfortunately.

There are a few body alteration before and afters. This link has a bit of body alteration (ankles, belly, breasts etc...)

http://www.dennislindo.com/retouch.html

but have not had much luck finding tutorials other than the helpful advice and tutorials here. Let me know if you find this link helpful

Sean
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2005, 03:42 PM

What an amazing link. Site was a bit hard to navigate. I was looking for some bio information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2005, 05:24 PM

Body Scuplture (Long)

Hello Graphx,

Pleased you enjoyed the link. I've been looking for more sights for good examples, but they are really elusive unless one really wants to ride the edge. The work on the page is certainly fascinanting though.

The threads on the bottom of this page are a real plus as well. Good idea by the "management". I have tried a few pics with the freeze, thaw tools and liquify filter. It is quite empowering to be able to assist people with slight modifications when they request how they might look, while testing photoshops flexibility.

I don't know how body sculpture might actually apply for "restoration" piece, unless someone wanted a particularly nice before shot or scene to be manipulated so that the body in the picture could be altered to fit the "new" image one has worked for.

Really enjoying the talent and comments from this community - Great artisans -

However, would really like to see a detailed thread or tutorial on CYMK and how to really manipulate the channels to bring the best detail and color out of a badly cast (tinted) and poorly scanned photo. The guts are often pointed out, unfortunately the specific steps for manipulating the CYMK and RGB or LAB pieces seem like they should be intuitive and I am not intuiting very well. Have read many tutorials, but they don't really go into much detail about the use of different tools in CMYK restoration, although many tutorials touch briefly on things like Alpha masks. Looking for greater detail than that -

In other words, How does one manipulate the CYMK channels (blurring, pasting, copying, luminosity, sharpen invert, blur invert, remove the colorcast etc) - Is there any tutorial that does any of this as a single picture recovery, restoration and retouch tutorial ? I have looked at the tutorials here, and excellent as they are, either this is not addressed in detail or only a specific step is briefly mentioned. In other words and I am still not really sure how much real manipulation can be accomplished in the CMYK or RGB channels

Sean2,

Sorry for the length of response.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2005, 07:29 PM

Hi Sean

For color correcting I would stick with RGB, With color cast sometimes you have to make educated guesses as to what is black, grey and white, but if you can, by equalizing the numbers for each color, you'd be well on your way.

For working to a resulting CMYK, try duplicating the image. Change the dupe to RGB and do your balancing. Once satisfied, copy and paste back into your CMYK image and change to Color to compensate for luminosity variance.

In terms of skin colors, I almost always try to balance by known CMYK percentages for kids, caucasians etc.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2005, 08:56 PM

Body Sculpting- CYMK

Hello Dave,

Are those percentages located anywhere as rough numbers or do we need to figure those out by trial and error? I know we need to lean a little into the yellow rather than the red, but had never thought to keep a skin chart with a median color percentage. Good idea.

Would I do that by using the eye-dropper?

Sean2
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2005, 09:09 PM

Hi Sean

I'm a long way from a skin expert but you're right. Generally you should have more yellow than magenta, assuming caucasian. Obviously, North American Indian would be different (I think). If you don't have it, I absolutly recommend Katrin Eismann's book, Photoshop Restoration & Retouching. Virtually, everyone on this forum are aware of this great book. She has an excellent section on skin color correction, much of it by the numbers. A lot of people guesstamate. I don't have much use for it personally. Go by the numbers. If in doubt with your results, consult someone else. Often our eyes deceive us.

If you haven't already, there's some current discussion on color correction under " Flesh Tone Corrections..Help".

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration