RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Body Sculpting

Old 01-23-2005, 06:46 PM

Body Sculpting

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum so hope I am not duplicating previous requests. has anyone done any tutorials or challenges on body scuplting. It is my impression that a lot has been done on the glamour and portrait side, but little on the hands on of improving a picture for someone who is self-conscious. I am referring to the alteration of: hips; double chins; lazy eye thighs, buttocks, triceps etc.

Any comments or information would be helpful. it would be nice to see a Challenge where perhaps a few body parts may be altered.

Unfortunately, I am not a professional photographer and do not have any photographs to post, but am interested in this form of retouching.

Regards,

Sean2
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2005, 08:24 PM

I don't know if this will help, but in video we have a problem called "Binocular to Monocular Conversion Distortion." In short this is the property that something may look completely normal when you look at it with both eyes, but it looks weird when seen with only one lens (i.e. a camera). In women, this usually manifests itself in the jaw line, and in men it is usually the nose that causes the problem.

This is solved on film (motion) by movement and not choosing camera angles that cause the problem. But in photography it takes a little photo editing to correct the problem. NEVER MAKE A CHANGE THAT CHANGES THE WAY SOMEONE LOOKS UNLESS THEY ASK YOU TO!! I only do this to pictures of people I know well and, therefore, know what their chin or nose looks like. People who paint or draw correct this problem automatically.

I use the liquify plugin to do it, usually on either bulge or inverse bulge. Adjust the lines as needed and then use the restore brush (in liquify) to run down either side of the new line, this will even out the mesh and give the changed area a more natural blend into the unaltered area. In this example the problem is actually caused by her head being tilted down and the sweater pressing into her chin.

I hope this helps,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chin.jpg (37.3 KB, 215 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2005, 08:50 PM

I've fooled around with such.

I've taken a little weight off of someone from a wedding pic, and fixed a double chin from someone else.

This is one I did for practice. It isn't up to "release" quality but gives you an idea of what can be done.

The shoulders were taken down a bit, the navel was reduced slightly, arms and hands had some of the veins reduced.

Did a little work on the thighs etc.

Mainly done with the liquify tool, and then normal retouching from there.

It really is fairly easy to do if you go slow, and have a little practice. And it is fun, less frustrating than some of the hard restorals

- Noel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouc.jpg (57.4 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg retouch1.jpg (55.3 KB, 294 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2005, 09:19 PM

The other way to do it is select an area, control-j, control-t to Transform - hold down the control key while changing the shape to go in any direction, then mask to clean up ....

I recently did a business portrait (suit, dress shirt and tie) where the favorite photo did not show the edge of the shirt above the suit at the side of the neck. I pulled in that section from another photo from the series that showed the shirt and resized and reshaped to match the chosen pose - took all of two minutes ...

Free transform lets you do large areas quickly without the warble you can get if you are not carefull with liquify. I usually use the free transform method and then tweak little bumps and spots with liquify if needed.

Hope this helps,
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2005, 10:23 PM

Digital Body Sculpture

Hello Michael and Noel,

Yes, those are both extremely helpful responses. They both look like excellent work as well.

I had a chance to go back through the thirty pages of posts in the last couple of hours and noted a few threads on double chins, eyelashes and a few other helpful comments and threads from may of the members.

I think you have both hit the right tone, for me, though. Are you aware of any detailed breakdown of the steps that describe how to shrink or expand various anatomical features. I have heard of facial, thigh buttock shaving (perhaps that is the wrong term?:-)), tummy and other tucks, but have never seen how they are performed with photoshop.

I have tried the liquify tool, but found it generated bunching in the skin along the line of liquification (smudging and bunching) and this didn't address the background damaged by the squeeze or expansion. as well, I have found the liquify tool to create holes in the skin if held too long, and generate rings moving outward from the contact point - like a raindrop in a puddle. Perhaps, as you say Noel, going to quickly.

Any other examples of anatomical shrinkage, expansion or simply reduction of body parts and how it is achieved would be very welcome.

Has there ever been a Challenge dedicated to this type of ps ?

Many thanks again gentlemen,

Sean2
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2005, 10:28 PM

digital Body Sculpting

Sorry Roger,

Missed your post. That sounds like a good plan of attack, I haven't tried moving body elements with transform. w

Will give it a go.

Thank you,

Sean2
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2005, 07:16 AM
Patron

Body Sculpting

Another way to sculpt besides using the liquify filter is to select the area you want to sculpt and include a portion of the background adjacent to it. Copy that selection to the layer above. Using the move tool move the top layer inward. That will move the background to cover up the flappy spot. (assuming you are thinning). The rough edges can be selectively erased. It works pretty well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2005, 08:22 AM

Body Sculpting

Thanks Phil,

Good suggestion, I could see where that would work well when you made a cut-out, but does it work as well with a patterned background?

Sean
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2005, 10:12 AM

More on the subject of using the liquify command...

Goal, take this picture of an arm and make it look more formidable. [Picture 1]

Open up the liquify command and use the pucker tool (rather than the bloat tool which is intuitively what you would do) set to a nice large brush to pull the edges of the arm out PAST where you want them to end up. [Picture 2]

If we were to accept these changes the arm would look very distorted and there will be a lot of areas where the pixels are stretched destroying detail both in the subject and background. [Picture 3]

Next switch to the reconstruct tool and run over the image in the areas both inside and outside of the "edges". Don't be afraid to let the outside of the brush run over the new edges a little, this will help smooth them as well. [Picture 4]

Click OK and our friend's bench weight just went up 100lbs. [Picture 5]

Hope that helps,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arm1.jpg (22.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg arm2.jpg (42.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg arm3.jpg (21.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg arm4.jpg (39.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg arm5.jpg (21.6 KB, 134 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2005, 02:51 PM
Patron

Using Layers to sculpt

Well it works most of the time. Not always but when it does its slick. I just wanted to point out another method of body sculpting. Now if I could sculpt myself some for real I would buy the program.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration