Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

collections, family archives, how to market ?

Old 01-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Another of my quick questions:

If you do get a customer and you do all the things with old photos, documents whatever and they are all in boxes being distributed through that family, then what?

You have saved their history up to that date. But history never stops being made, so do you think that you would go back to that family on some kind of a time line and save everthing that has happened since the last time you visted?

With enough customers, one could make a career out of this

Got to get some work done.......

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Juliana, It's a great idea to share archival product ideas, as well as marketing ideas.

Along that line I purchased some archival plastic print sleeves from, like them a lot...they seem to add value and they do eliminate damage from grubby hands.

For inexpensive technological-looking archival folders and portfolios I don't think there's anything to compete with Itoya Art Profolios and Express Profolios. But they're definitely not warm/fuzzy/family-looking. I think similar things may be available expensively, with leather covers (for the carriage trade :-)

Minilabs and some custom labs are increasingly using small-quantity "convenience" chemistry kits which are too small to prevent significant chemical pollution. The goal is usability by untrained employees, minimal maintainance, and passable product. Chemical quality control seems far lower than it was five years ago.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2005, 12:41 PM

I couldn't find those albums, but a company called AlbumsInc has some comprable stuff.....the ones I am thinking of have that really nice old school family bible look, would look cool for the project if you want to get into that kind of presentation.

Your point about chemistry. Are you talking about the mix on board solutions, the cartridge based solutions or 20 gallon batches? And were you talking about erratic chemical activity or cross-contamination when you said "pollution"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2005, 09:23 PM
cd's??? Archival??? Not yet...

Cd's have been shown to start deteriorating significantly in 2 years. I do everything that I can to discourage using cd's among my customers. If they want something that they can use in the short term for promotional purposes - great - but anything over 2 years is getting risky, IMO.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2005, 06:36 AM
Impermanence of CDs is a very good concept to share with customers.

Let the CD marketers claim in response that their product will survive ...what's important is that doubt's raised. The big brands won't claim their CDs are archival.

The big brands such as Sony and Maxell don't make their own CDs, they outsource to third world countries. The packaging doesn't tell you who or where the CD was manufactured... somewhere cheaper than the US or Japan, that's for sure.

We can toss CDs into the deal if we want to shoot ourselves in the feet, but we shouldn't brag about it. If we want to provide archival services we should maintain HDs in safety deposit vaults to back up those in our facilities.

That concept is like traditional photographic practice in which the photographer retains the negative for the longterm reprint business and for the benefit of the customer in the future, since the customer won't properly care for the negatives.

We don't make any money making CDs, we make prints. We can make prints that are for sure archival (silver) or scientifically shown to be archival (some Epson inkjet, per Wilhelm). Nobody can produce evidence that CDs are archival.

Proper prints are more archival than digital media.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration