RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Photo Retouching (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/)
-   -   Jewellery retouching methods (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/10270-jewellery-retouching-methods.html)

digipainter 04-05-2005 11:04 PM

Jewellery retouching methods

1 Attachment(s)
I often shoot jewellery & do minor retouching as required, usually cloning or apply a blured layer mask to smoothen the surface.

Recently got some rings which were too bad for shooting but had to shoot & needed a better retouching skills which I dont have.

Need some help in retouching such images. I am not sure if this is ever discussed as I could not find any thread via search.

Thanks.

MBChamberlain 04-06-2005 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I spent about half an hour on this using motion blur and median for the band. I didn't play much with the stone. If this is what you are looking for I'll type up a better decription when I have more time.

Michael

barry_uk 04-06-2005 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I did in 10 mins simply coloured it and enhanced it,

Regards Barry

digipainter 04-06-2005 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MBChamberlain
I'll type up a better decription when I have more time.
Michael

Thanks Michael, for your effort.
Please post in detail when you have time.

Our retoucher as of now use 3 different methods.

1. Airbrushing on a new layer with the colors matching & then reduce the opacity.

2. On a new layer apply G blur & then use a layer mask & paint the area where we want to retouch.

3. If the surface permitts then we clone it on a new layer & then adjust the opacity of that layer as per the requirements.

All the above methods make the jewellery look artificial due to the fact that the natural surface is no more the same.

In your effort, you too use the Motion blur (we used G blur) that reduces the blemishes but also give a "Retouched look"

Mind you that these shots are to be used as 2 feet in-shop posters, so they will be looked at close distance.
I am posting another image for you to work with.

digipainter 04-06-2005 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry_uk
This is what I did in 10 mins simply coloured it and enhanced it,

Regards Barry

Thanks Barry but that does'nt work.

MBChamberlain 04-06-2005 11:32 AM

If they will be used that large, they are usually 1-2 foot metal rings, gold or silver plated, with stones made of colored glass. Unfortunately that is the best way and it requires a good craftsman to do it. Other than that you have to choose between the "retouched look" or deal with the imperfections.

Michael

byRo 04-06-2005 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The ring is different from a "normal" one in that it has, for the most part, a matte finish. Thus GBlurs and motion blurs won't work well because they will destroy the surface texture.

Instead of trying to conserve the original texture, I did the normal clean-up work but then mixed in some new texture (soft grain, in fact) to mimmick the original surface.
Cleaned background, adjusted levels and contrast.

..nice change from fixing faces! :ditsy:

Duv 04-06-2005 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rather than mix in grain, I tried the following:

Duplicate background
Filters: Noise: Dust & Scratches: 10/1
Edit: Define Pattern: Name it ring or whatever
Undo Dust & Scatches
Healing Brush: Set to Pattern, access ring pattern. Set blend mode to Darken and paint over ring. Set blend mode to Lighten and paint over ring.
Change layer blend to Luminosity and adjust opacity to suit.

Dave

digipainter 04-06-2005 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBChamberlain
If they will be used that large, they are usually 1-2 foot metal rings, gold or silver plated, with stones made of colored glass. Unfortunately that is the best way and it requires a good craftsman to do it. Other than that you have to choose between the "retouched look" or deal with the imperfections.

Michael

You are spot on the idea, I feel the same that the images I have seen in those glossy magazines of rings, watches, liquore & perfume bottles are too perfect to be acheived with such small size products.

For now I have to live with retouched look only, so need to find out better options.

Thanks.

philbach 04-06-2005 02:41 PM

Ring

Well I removed the gum holding the ring up. Blurred using lighten some of the parts of the gold bands. I used a blue filter on the diamonds. I increased the contrast and sharpened some of the diamonds.