RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

First Colorizing...comments

Old 06-27-2005, 01:52 PM

First Colorizing...comments

What do you guys think..this is my first stab at colorizing a pic, any comments or areas to improve would be great...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mom_oldpic_color.jpg (91.1 KB, 132 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2005, 02:43 PM

Someone? Anyone?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2005, 03:44 PM

I see no one else has helped you out, so I will.

The coloring seems a little harsh and wherever the coloring is, you've lost the depth of the shadows. Also, when I select the area I wish to color, I usually blur the edges of the selection a pixel or two. How are you coloring your photo? Any one of us here can help you with more of a step-by-step approach to coloring if you need it.

Good job to start. You're well on your way. (We all started out a little rough at first, whether we want to admit it or not.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2005, 04:03 PM

Hi tb5821,

Well I hadn't replied, because I guess I was puzzling as to why you want to colourise this photo, when it was already in colour?

I agree with everything Columbus has said, but I suppose my general philosophy is to retain the original whenever possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
Hi tb5821,

Well I hadn't replied, because I guess I was puzzling as to why you want to colourise this photo, when it was already in colour?
I guess thats a good question, but I don't have the answer to it... I guess the colours were just not as vivid or stood out as much as i would of liked them to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistColumbus
I usually blur the edges of the selection a pixel or two. How are you coloring your photo?
Yes I am also planning on bluring the edges a couple of pixles... I am doing to using just hue/sat adj. layers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 01:11 AM

Hi tb5821,

Sorry, didn't see your post.

If you've done your colour on a clour layer, try varying the opacity of the layer, and also try applying a light Gaussian Blur to the layer, should help things blend a little.

Hopefully you've done each colour on a seperate layer, which will help, since each colour will need a slightly different adjustment.

Also, try not to use just one colour when colouring, try to vary a little on the central tone, selecting one lighter for the highlights, and darker for the shadow areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb5821
I guess thats a good question, but I don't have the answer to it... I guess the colours were just not as vivid or stood out as much as i would of liked them to.
Maybe rather than starting colouring from scratch you could try playing with intensity and colour settings on the original image - you can use selections, layers and channels in a similar way - but it means you wouldn't have to worry so much about getting a realistic amount of colour variation and gradation - as it is already there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 04:33 AM

Hi tb5821,

...sorry I had missed your post too ...

You are getting there .... nice, clean edges, no 'bleeding' colours but, as already said, some colours are a bit too bright, skin colour is barely visible and you left several areas completely desaturated (gray) ....

I've collected several of Vikki's excellent tips on colorizing ... whatever method you decide to use:

Quote:
The following tips are based on viewing a LOT of colorings:

Pay attention to the details. It really is that important.

Don't choose colors that are too bright, go for more muted colors for a more natural look.

Don't leave any areas gray, even if you know they probably were. That goes for black and white as well.

Nothing is one solid color, unless you dye it, (or make a selection and fill it with color).

Nothing is ever just one color

Although you would think teeth are white, they really aren't and have a tendancy to look gray unless they are given some color.

You might consider applying a light sepia tone to the image before you start coloring. It gives you a head start on the skin tones, and eliminates all the ghostly grays.

Don't leave anything gray. Even gray has color in it (often from reflected surroundings). If the job looks tedious, apply a sepia tone before you start coloring.

Desaturate some of the color in the shadows. They have a tendancy to grab the color, and it can look artificial if it's too vibrant there.

Watch out for high intensity colors. Bright blues, pinks, and such, if not handled carefully can look garish.
... and here is one of my own:

Pure or nearly pure black just as pure or nearly pure white can't be coloured..... so, before you start colouring, it is vital balancing highlights and shadows wherever necessary if you want your applied colour showing evenly throughout.

Nearly 'blown out' highlights is probably the reason why the colour you applied to the skin can't be seen ...

Hope this helps ....

Last edited by Flora; 07-26-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 05:09 AM

tb5821,
The best thing about your coloring is that you've done a lot of detail work (for example, coloring the individual stripes on the shirt). Attention to detail is so important when coloring.
Not so good: only coloring part of the image. I would say, for this type of coloring, it's all or nothing. Unless you're going for an specific "stylized' kind of look, leaving so much original gray diminishes the coloring work you've done.
Not so good: remember when you were a kid, and you got your first box of crayons? There were maybe only 6 or 8 colors. Most people, when first attempting colorizing, only use the small box of crayons. Give yourself the big box of crayons...color images contain millions of colors, and using many colors is what makes it look more realistic.
More tips...(thanks Flora, for compiling those tips of mine!).

One last thing, it would be helpful if you told us your method for coloring.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
One last thing, it would be helpful if you told us your method for coloring.
Hi Vikki, and everyone else thanks for your comments, I am using hue/sat adj. layers for the coloring

Ive gone ahead and made some changes... let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mom_oldpic_color.jpg (94.9 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching