RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

kids skin tone

Old 06-28-2005, 09:28 PM

kids skin tone

I was wondering what technique everyone uses to create a good skin tone? I've read a few of them but none make since to me. For example someone on here said to use curves and make each RGB color a certain % of another color. I'm not sure i didn't know how to do that, i'm not to familiar with curves. Any help i would love!

Also are you suppose to do this before or after you start the repairing? It seems that i think i'm done with the tonal part of the picture then i have to keep adjusting it.

Jen
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 05:02 AM

Hi Jen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen
I was wondering what technique everyone uses to create a good skin tone? I've read a few of them but none make since to me. For example someone on here said to use curves and make each RGB color a certain % of another color. I'm not sure i didn't know how to do that, i'm not to familiar with curves. Any help i would love!
I wrote the following on another Tread ... It is about corrections by-the-numbers ... Is this what you are referring to?

"Correcting, applying or changing skin colour is the most delicate task in colour correction and, when nothing else works, here are Katrin Eismann guidelines:

Mode CMYK

* in light skinned babies, yellow and magenta are equal,

* In adults, yellow is up to 35% greater than magenta,

* Cyan makes people look tanner and darker,

* Only people with very dark skin should have noticeable amount of black ink in their skin tones.
"

Here you can download useful skin and hair colour charts ... and here is a collection of colorizing tips.

Quote:
Also are you suppose to do this before or after you start the repairing? It seems that i think i'm done with the tonal part of the picture then i have to keep adjusting it.

Jen
I usually start colouring after most of the restoration is done, but before the final contrast and sharpness adjustments.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 10:56 PM

How do you do corrections by-the-numbers? Or could you point me in the right dirrection. I have Katrin Eismann book so maybe it shows in there.
After you have the selection of the face, what adjustment layer do you use? I used color correction, but you can't punch in the color values in there so i just messed around with it until I thought the skin looked ok. But thanks again Flora for your help.

Jen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2005, 12:47 PM

Does anyone else have any tips on skin tone? I have the charts but not sure what to do with them.

Jen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2005, 06:36 AM

Hi Jen,

Quote:
How do you do corrections by-the-numbers? Or could you point me in the right dirrection. I have Katrin Eismann book so maybe it shows in there.
Correction by the numbers is used on colour pictures where the colours aren't right, have a cast or if you have coloured a B&W picture, but are not satisfied with the result .... In KE's Restoration & Retouching first Edition, you'll find the part: Numbers don't lie starting from page 76 .... in her second Edition starting from page 112 ...

Quote:
After you have the selection of the face, what adjustment layer do you use?
If I'm correcting an existing colour, I usually go for Selective Colors .... but you could try Levels, Curves, Hue&Saturation, Color Balance .... you name it ....

If I want to colorize ... I usually follow this Tutorial, but one of the other methods is to create several blank layer (one for each different part to be coloured), set their blending to Color and, with a soft brush, low to medium Opacity, sampling colour from:
* a good part of the same picture.
* another picture of the same subject.
* a picture with a subject of similar complexion. (you can download free images from the internet and use them to create your own 'colour charts' )
* colour charts (this covers your next question)
Quote:
I have the charts but not sure what to do with them.
...gently paint over the area to be coloured.

Hope this cleared your doubts ....

Last edited by Flora; 07-02-2005 at 06:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2005, 09:00 AM

Flora,

Thaks for the advice. I keep forgetting that there are more then one way to do something. It seems like i can never get the colorng right. OR if it seems right on the screen then, when i print it out it is too light or dark. I'll look at the book and the tutorial. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching