RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skintone from white person to black..

Old 07-12-2005, 08:50 PM

Skintone from white person to black..

How would you go about changing a person's skintone from a white person to a black person?!

Attached to this is the image of the person who we're trying to change to black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matty2.jpg (55.8 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2005, 11:52 PM

try this...

Hey Yupp...

the selection on this is piss poor but it might give you a direction to go in

I added two adjustment layers one for curves where I dropped the top diagonal two lines on the grid and brought in the lower diagonal one and a little on the grid.

I added a second adjustment layer for hue sat and dropped the Sat and lightness both by a little over 20. oops forgot to mention this is only in the red It looked a litte flat to me so I shifted the master color to the right by 3.

hth, but what would you want to do this for anyway?

Diane (the pixeltickler)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matty2 copy.jpg (39.9 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by pixeltickler; 07-13-2005 at 09:52 AM. Reason: for got to mention only in the red on the hue sat adlayer
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2005, 03:55 PM

Find a well lit face shot of a black person, one that includes both highlights and shadows. Sample a variety of tones from dark to light and store each sample as a swatch.

Mask the target face and use the mask as a layer mask for a gradient map. Open the gradient to edit mode and create your gradient from the stored swatches. Slide the tones to maximize detail. You can avoid the problems of blowing out or plugging up tones that come with curves with this tool. You retain the actual highlight/shadow profile, sort of as a map, but the original hue, saturation and luminence are totally ignored and the new colors are mapped into the profile instead. You might need a separate map for lips. Once you have something that is close, a normal curve layer above the maps will function as you would expect, allowing you to fine tune the tones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2005, 07:13 AM

I did a team of guys at work for this and informtion about this is hard to find. I recall a set done in the UK years ago of famous actor/actress's what they would look like if born in a different race, they took white to black black to white, some indian some other nationalitys as well. any way I found nothing so set about this task myself. I found there is no one fits all for this depending on skin tomes, lighting etc so here are three methods I used.

1. New layer, colored with a brown color, set type to multiply, drop opacity very low, now use a hue-sat adj layer and increase saturation, may need to play with lightness as well. Set the adj layer to multiply and lower opacity

2. color balance adj layer, adjusted highlights in my case it was red toward cyan, Green toward green (slightly) and blue towards blue. Highlihts a slight lean towards red. Reduce opacity about 70%. Second adj layer - hue and sat, set to multiply and lower aopacity about 45% and again saturation up a bit and lightness down. This came out very nice.

3. Took samples of dark skin from another picture, cloned over the full face, tried to use cheeks on cheeks etc, now this cave me good tones. Masked out the eyes and mouth and general shape. Set to multiply and lowered the opacity until the look was achieved, came out great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 05:34 AM

I dicd a quick play with this yesterday and was not happy with the result but decided I would post it anyway. This the general idea but needs more attention to detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg change.jpg (47.5 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the help. They're pretty funny. Someone asked (but why?) and to tell you the truth I have no idea LOL! My friend told me to take a pic of him with the flu and turn him black. He's in a band.

Once he told me he wanted a pic of him black I said you should get yourself with the white around your mouth like Ted Danson did that time he was dating Whoopie Goldberg.

Is there a way to make him like really black?! Like a dark skinned black person.. not like he fell asleep in mexico for a week lol.

Last edited by yuppicide; 07-15-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppicide
Thanks for the help. They're pretty funny. Someone asked (but why?) and to tell you the truth I have no idea LOL! My friend told me to take a pic of him with the flu and turn him black. He's in a band.

Once he told me he wanted a pic of him black I said you should get yourself with the white around your mouth like Ted Danson did that time he was dating Whoopie Goldberg.

Is there a way to make him like really black?! Like a dark skinned black person.. not like he fell asleep in mexico for a week lol.
I had misunderstood your purpose. I have withdrawn my contribution to this thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 08:58 PM

Good on you Panpan!

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2005, 03:42 PM

Don't get us wrong.. we're not racist.. we don't hate black people or anything. Sorry if I made you think that. Was it the Whoopie Goldberg comment?! That was a joke. It was poking fun because it was funny when Ted Danson did it because he thought it was funny and it wasn't, so that made it funny. It wasn't funny that he would make fun of someone or whatever, but it was funny that he was that stupid.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2005, 03:47 PM

What's really funny is that I think I actually understood what you just said!

cheers

Dave
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching