RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Reference for Color looks and settings

Old 07-25-2005, 01:57 AM

Reference for Color looks and settings

I am looking for a great reference source with sample images and curve settings for various color looks. Internet sites or articles would help me as well. The ideal reference source would have the following characteristics. First, it would help me identify the color look in a quick manner (think cliff notes; not a color theory dissertation). Second, it would help me understand how to replicate the technique in Photoshop using Curves. This objective allows me the flexibility to apply the color treatment to still and video images whether in or outside Photoshop. Third, the reference should give me a guide on different film processing techniques, filter usage, film stock, and lighting conditions.

Hopefully, it does not cost like a billion dollars. A similar book for duotones existed for Photoshop several years ago. It had sample images with duotone settings for screen and print. Every page had several sample images and settings. I can no longer find this book since it is out of print. It was for Photoshop 4 (if I recall). This book gave me the inspiration to find something for curve settings. The closest book on the market is Martin Evening Photoshop for Photographer. Unfortunately, it does not fit all my needs.

My goal relates to having a reference source to decipher client's desires in the realm of color treatments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 07:13 AM

Hi Neville310,

Welcome to RP!

I did an internet search ob 'color references' .... I'm not sure it is what you are looking for but I found this site (and its links!) very interesting ...

http://www.websitetips.com/color/#othercharts

Hope this helps a bit ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 05:25 AM

Hi Neville310,

Another link that my be of interest to you. Lots of cross comparison color charts, samples, swatches and schemes.

http://www.hypermedic.com/color/index.php

If you ever find a book that encompasses all that you have listed, please let me know. It seems like a mighty big ask for one book.

If you can't find the references for curve settings anywhere why not start your own with the intention of someday publishing.

Paris
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, these sites focus solely on color theory and provide me minimal help. The following link gives you an idea what the reference could emulate. These links focus solely on the Magic Bullet software package. I need a reference for Photoshop to help me treat digital stills for presentation to my colorist.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/lookguide.html

The reference source should include the following color treatments. These techniques are often replicated with other methods in Photoshop; my interest lies primarily in Curves. So my request is a tall order, yet these discussions lead me in the right direction.

Selenium Toning, Duotones, Tritones, Sepia, Reversal Film, Cross-process, Bleach-bypass, Velvia, Astia, Holga, Tri-X Tonality, Cyanotypes, Black and White Infrared Film, Technicolor Two-Color,
Technicolor Three-Color
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching