RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin texture

Old 08-23-2005, 02:25 PM

Vernon, thks, but the problem is that Im working with 64 MB images and find skin textures with this size is ....!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2005, 02:44 PM

You can also try this:
-Fill the background with skin color (or use the face you're working with.
-Make a new layer and fill it with whever skin color you're using. (You can tweak the color later)
-Make a layer mask and add noise to it.
-Apply the mask to the layer
-set a bevel and emboss following the natural highlights of the original photo. Set your highlight mode and shadow mode to the highlight and shadow colors of the original photo.
-Tweak tweak tweak
-use liquify and free transform to fit your new texture over the photo.

Below is a very quickly done sample of this skin texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skin.jpg (99.8 KB, 463 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2005, 02:54 PM

superfrasky (ok, that's too long, so from now on it's 'frasky'),

welcome to RP.

i'm curious here... 64 Meg images and working in glamour retouching. most of the glam work i've ever seen tends to tone down skin pores and texture, so why the other way around and why such high res pics?

as for making your own textures, photoshop shld be able to do this quite easily. there's all sorts of approaches, but if you've got a particular image that you're wanting to apply your texture to, i'd start with that.

make a blank image to the size you want to work with. sample one color out of the target image and paint your new image with that. make it solid, 100% opaque.

duplicate the image to a new layer. add noise...lots! blur it, preferably with a gausian blur set to 'uniform'.

make a new blank raster layer on top of the previous ones. paint it pure white. add noise. again, lots! blur it the same way.

make a new blank raster layer. paint it solid black. add noise same way, and blur it.

adjust opacities of your various layers.

add another blank raster layer. pick a different color from your target image of the skin tone. paint it solid on this layer. add noise the same as before and blur, only this time, use motion blur set at about medium.

readjust opacities of various layers.

add an adjustment layer for contrast/brightness. set contrast somewhere in the 20 to 40 range and brightness accordingly to bring up the light on the other layers.

ok, i'm doing this from memory and i think i've forgotten a few things in there. if i recall correctly i added a pattern/texture thing to one or two of those layers before doing the blur. you want fine textures, like 'sand' or 'fine gravel' or 'cement', stuff like that.

and on reading this thread i also made a skin texture/pattern from the attachment, but it actually doesnt work very well. in fact, i made two, one sharpened highly and the other just as it is. neither was satisfactory.

also, in following any of the above stuff, play around with it. dont take what i said as a literal tutorial, cause, like i said, i was doing that from memory and i'm sure i've got some steps wrong in there. but, it could give you some ideas on how to proceed.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2005, 04:10 PM

Kraellin, waiting anxiously the process.... (if you want, of course..)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 PM

The Nagel brushes have a few sets of skin brushes - I've never used them myself so not sure what the results are like. The main thing I don't like about the Nagel brushes is they are not meaningfully named, and it's not immediately obvious which one is for what!

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshopbrushes/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching