RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Wedding retouch... feedback please :-)

Old 09-02-2005, 12:27 AM

You know, I read this thread yesterday and it's bothered me ever since.

How did this turn into a *slam the photographer* thread?

First off, if the image was scanned, (which it shouldn't be if it was taken by anyone other than the person who took the picture, read: copyright infringement without written permission by the creator...) it may not represent the true exposure of the image. And secondly, the claims of the posing are subjective. Anyone who knows anything about photography knows the subject should be turned at an angle because if you posed her face forward, the 3-d reality now turns into a 2-d image and adds weight to the individual, so turning her to one side WAS correct if you want to follow photography standards.

Talking trash about the photographer without her here to rebut the conversation is ridiculous.

My rant -over.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2005, 01:39 AM

Ken - nice job! I think that perspective distortion has worked well.

Sheba, I guess I think people are generally really pretty polite on this forum, far more so than many I've visited! But at the end of the day, you've got to call a spade a spade, and when a photo like this is shown it's unrealistic not to pick faults. After all what we are trying to do if fix/repair it. The fact is the overwhelming opinion expressed so far is that it is not a very successful/professional job. As to the rights etc - I personally think in this case as the photographer has not been identified, there is no risk of libel. Beyond that I believe the bride has a certain moral right to make herself look good in her own wedding photo (or sister of same).

Following photography standards only takes you so far - artistic judgement is I think what failed in this case.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2005, 02:45 AM

Sheba, as a wedding photgrapher with over 30 years experience, I agree with Caitlin.

The photographer did not do a very good job. Yes the subject should be at an angle, but NOT a side view, which this is.

Also, if the photographer were using off camera lights rather than flash on the camera, I can't really tell, the lighting could be much improved to flatter the bride.

Also, the bride is somewhat at fault. She followed the current fashion in dresses, as most brides do, either because it is the "Fashion" or because that is all that is available. This fashion looks great on professional models but often does not look good on more normal looking people. A dress with sleeves would, in my opinion, be much more flattering. Photgraphers often moan about unflattering and inappropriate styles of dresses; the extra work, headaches, and retouching it costs them. But the client is always right, so we live with it.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2005, 12:24 PM

sheba,

we're not talking trash about the photographer; we're talking about one photograph the photographer did. quite a difference there. he may well have taken hundreds of others at the wedding that were quite professional. this one was not.

and two, this is obviously not all the fault of a scan. if you look at the lighting of this image it is quite obvious that this was a photographic mistake, not a scan mistake.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching