RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skintones

Old 09-01-2005, 12:15 PM

Skintones

I'm not very good at retouching and would like to become better....i have submitted a before and after shot of a model i shot a few days ago. Any tips, suggestions or otherwise would be a great help. Thanks in advance to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (45.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (38.1 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by tmosley; 09-01-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2005, 12:46 PM

hi tmosley,

and welcome to RP!

first thing is, what effect do you want to achieve. are you looking to make this a high glamour shot, an artistic sort of image or what?

if you're going for glamour, the first thing i'd do is adjust your lighting. the picture is somewhat dark. i'd brighten it up a bit and add a bit more contrast, probably. you can do that with 'curves' or 'brightness/contast' either as an adjustment layer or directly applied to the layer.

the second thing i see is the 'pasty' look. this is mostly in your retouched face. it comes about from having cloned or smudged too much. you lose the texture and get a monotone look which gives the 'pasty' look.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2005, 01:06 PM

Here is my attemtpt. Using color correction on midtones. Before adjust saturation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attempt.jpg (81.4 KB, 126 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2005, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
hi tmosley,

and welcome to RP!

first thing is, what effect do you want to achieve. are you looking to make this a high glamour shot, an artistic sort of image or what?

if you're going for glamour, the first thing i'd do is adjust your lighting. the picture is somewhat dark. i'd brighten it up a bit and add a bit more contrast, probably. you can do that with 'curves' or 'brightness/contast' either as an adjustment layer or directly applied to the layer.

the second thing i see is the 'pasty' look. this is mostly in your retouched face. it comes about from having cloned or smudged too much. you lose the texture and get a monotone look which gives the 'pasty' look.

Craig
Yes i'm going for a more glamourous look for her......i think she has good potential and i want the pictures to give her justice. I'll try your techniques and see what i come up with. Thanks Craig. I'm Tre by the way!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrasky
Here is my attemtpt. Using color correction on midtones. Before adjust saturation
I can see the difference in the pic.....looks brighther...tones are good too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2005, 06:57 PM

Here's a 10 minute retouch ... could have made it much much better but decided to see how far I could get in 10 minutes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skintones.jpg (93.6 KB, 124 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megl
Here's a 10 minute retouch ... could have made it much much better but decided to see how far I could get in 10 minutes
now you're just showin off, lol...
Seriously that is a great job...you guys are really showing me something. question, are you using photoshop or paint shop pro? How do you add the highlights to her hair?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2005, 12:28 PM

tre,

yes, we like to show off here. it's the second best thing we do

get them to post how they did the things they did, though. we want you to learn too

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2005, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
tre,

yes, we like to show off here. it's the second best thing we do

get them to post how they did the things they did, though. we want you to learn too

Craig
that was my next post.....how did u guys do what you did? I sat in front of my photoshop last night with a blank look on my face....i tried some stuff and it sucked and i went to bed frustrated. I know a lot of people have a bad taste when it comes to tuts, i sure need a few.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2005, 03:26 PM

Never really done any of this kind of work, but I do like to play on occassion.

Started with a Curves Adjustment set to Luminosity to brighten it up a bit and to add a touch of contrast. Then I got rid of the medium frequencies using a frequency variation that I learned from Greg Apodaca. Then added the tiniest bit of saturation.

No idea how well I did, but sure it nice to try something a bit different to see if my muscles can flex that way. The only thing that really strikes me that I prolly should have done but didn't is sharpen the hair a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stroker_bikiniafter.jpg (61.3 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Stroker; 09-02-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching