RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High-end digital retoucher in NYC

Old 10-26-2005, 09:01 AM

Hey Nancy, THANKS.
I am downloading now and will let you know.
Thanks for your effort and No hard Feelings
Did you see Loretta Luxe's site? You have any ideas How I can get similar skin tones?
I am going off to work in a little bit and will try and post an example for you.
I want to try and get those skin tones that are when you take the red/yellow out of the skin tones. I have tried but they get a little patchy the skin.
Hard to describe with out an example, So I'll search.
Thanks a lot for your time. I DO appreciate it!
Sn@@k
You have a site of your stuff you do I can check out.
Thanks again,
Sn@@k
Also 8mb is nothing, I downloaded it in less than a minute
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 09:12 AM

Nancy, A couple of questions..
The Blue (s curve) was that an s curve run on the blue channel through the channels layer?
Also can you sharpen while in the Blue channel in the Channels palette, The copy and past that into a new layer?
I thought of 2 things also.
I think he (as his example) is making the images B&W and then painting in the color after wards. Could this be. Also if you notice on the old man with the pipe picture. The skin of the old man becomes more blotchy ( showing more of his defects in the skin) Which probably won't be attractive for models But I like the Pinkish magenta skin tone he applied.
Also Someone in another forum said that by using the Eye dropper they discovered he has all kinds of "slight" colors even in his shadows. Ever so slight cyan's etc.. How would that be acheived.
If you have time to maybe figure that out.

But if not I appreciate your help and would rather pick your brain for the Loretta luxe skintones.
I am trying to get skin tones to look "white" if that makes sense. Not black and white but white.
I saw a couple of advertisements (cannot find the dang picture) that the girls was wearing a blue jeans top and bottom and she had Like Platinum colored hair (white) and her skintones were the same, Kind of White. Not grey like B&W would produce, But white!!
Sorry I am rambling maybe, And will post you a picture.
THANK YOU
Sn@@k
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 09:12 AM

I looked at her site quickly but I'm supposed to be busy right now quite a few of the pictures look to have been desaturated and recoloured. Particularly the ones that look like 1940s/1950s clothes. TBH a fair few of them look like they're head transplants but on such small images its hard to be sure.
i will try to find a picture of a child work on
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 09:29 AM

Great, Yeh get back to work before you get in trouble!!
I'll post later some references...
Thanks again, and sorry for conflicts before!

Sn@@k
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305
Nancy, A couple of questions..
The Blue (s curve) was that an s curve run on the blue channel through the channels layer?
Also can you sharpen while in the Blue channel in the Channels palette, The copy and past that into a new layer?
I thought of 2 things also.
I think he (as his example) is making the images B&W and then painting in the color after wards. Could this be. Also if you notice on the old man with the pipe picture. The skin of the old man becomes more blotchy ( showing more of his defects in the skin) Which probably won't be attractive for models But I like the Pinkish magenta skin tone he applied.
Also Someone in another forum said that by using the Eye dropper they discovered he has all kinds of "slight" colors even in his shadows. Ever so slight cyan's etc.. How would that be acheived.
If you have time to maybe figure that out.

But if not I appreciate your help and would rather pick your brain for the Loretta luxe skintones.
I am trying to get skin tones to look "white" if that makes sense. Not black and white but white.
I saw a couple of advertisements (cannot find the dang picture) that the girls was wearing a blue jeans top and bottom and she had Like Platinum colored hair (white) and her skintones were the same, Kind of White. Not grey like B&W would produce, But white!!
Sorry I am rambling maybe, And will post you a picture.
THANK YOU
Sn@@k
the s curve blue layer is a copy of the blue channel pasted into a new layer and then modified with an s curve. I use the blue channel rather than a desat because its more 'gritty' and empasises imperfections more strongly - which is the style.
One of the reasons for the skin becoming more blotchy on the b&w to colour is that the b&w is not the original, its an older version of the same photograph, the b&w is more retouched, the skin has been smoothed and the wrinkles softened in places - either deliberately or incidentally due to the choice of lighting.
Colour balancing in photoshop allows you to alter the tonality of shadows/midtones and highlights seperately. You can also use selective masking to 'paint' in tones where you want them.

I'll have a go at the pale girl thing when i get home from work (in a couple of hours)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 09:49 AM

OK thanks, Have a great day.
Here is another example of skintones and over all tonality of a picture. Not quite the pale gal and I know she had whiteish make-up here but this too is interesting.
http://www.jedroot.com/makeup/ag/full/art/ag-05-01.jpg
Thanks again and we'll chat later!
Sn@@k
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 02:31 PM

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for? shes a little rough around the edges (literally) but its just a quicky. The pose is wrong for the style - not quite surreal enough
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl.jpg (51.3 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg girl2.jpg (51.3 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg girlorig.jpg (42.3 KB, 234 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2005, 05:06 PM

Yes very Nice.. Is there a way to take a little more blue out of the skin.
I like it alot, Just has a kind of blue tone. But I guess I could mask out where I do not want that .. Just leave the skin tones that color.
How did you do it?
Thanks alot,
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2005, 04:11 AM

Ran USM
Converted the image to CYMK
Floored the Y & M Curves and adjusted to taste
Duplicated layer and ran similar adjustments on the hair colour - then masked the two together.

The for the second image ran a replace colour on the red shirt - masked out any alterations to the skin and lips.
stuck in a random clouds background

its really all jsut about playing with the curves to get the desired tonality.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 AM

Sorry to bump an old and possibly redundant thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyrad
As for the trade secrets... I'm sure Chris(being Italian like myself) will agree that we COULD share more, but then we'd have to kill you....
-Don Corrado(conrad)
I guess that's why people have so many questions regarding skin retouching. Where exactly does one learn to retouch by proper 'industry standards' (ie. not blurring the skin, or destroying pixels by utilising heal/patch tools, etc) ?? if no-one wants to share techniques because they feel that their work may become redundant due to shared knowledge? Having said that, I do understand the trepidation with sharing detailed knowledge, and it is a breath of fresh air that you have already shared a small amount of your knowledge/technique... much more than most would bother sharing

You say that if one was to use blurring in their retouching, they have little or no hope of being employed by a retouching agency. That I can understand, but since there seems to be little in the way of readily available books, tutorials, teachers or courses for 'proper' skin retouching, learning "on the job" or from someone already employed as a hi-end retoucher seems to be the only way to train one's self!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching