RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High-end digital retoucher in NYC

Old 10-25-2005, 01:02 PM

Is this the kind of effect you're looking for? I only spent about 5 minutes on it....

-c
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (69.7 KB, 428 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 03:41 PM

This effect can be achieved in scanning...

I used to scan loads of images similar to the ones mentioned... the secret...

They were all scanned from 10x8 prints on fuji paper...!

seems we have com full circle, how to re-create traditional techniques in a digital environment.

Long live grainy film and paper...LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 03:57 PM

Time spent

Hey Conrad and Shelby

Sorry it took so long to answer. I have been away from the forums due to getting the studio up and running full time.

Conrad makes a good point about size and all. It really comes down, to me anyway, as to what the Photographer prefers.
All of my images(negs) that are scanned are scanned at 600 dpi and are usually in the 400 - 600 mb range and 16 bit. Any Digital files that I process are done at native resolution and at 400 dpi. So depending on the camera can be pretty big.

While I do a lot of full body images, most of my work seems to be Beauty shots from the chest up. I only use the softlight/gray layer method on skin and patterned fabrics. Also good for burning in hair highlights and such.

A face can take me up to 3-4 hours for a Vogue cover. For a Mario Sorrenti shot of the same image it could take me as little as 45 minutes with the same technique. Editors are not only a Photographers worst enemy, they are hell on retouchers.

No matter how long it takes, or how much you do, it still needs to be transparent. An image that has not gone far enough and looks good is FAR better than a image that is badly retouched and has gone to far.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyrad
Hiya Shel,

Well that depends on the file size, the amount of retouching needed and so forth. On a commercial beauty ad, for instance, it can take a full day to achieve the desired results. Especially when the art director(s) cast a model with really bad skin and expect "transparent perfection" as I like to call it. They throw you a less than perfect subject and want a Rembrandt in return.. Not that it can't be done.. it just takes time. The key here is transparency. you DON'T want it to look like it's been retouched. There are millions of different ways to remove texture and bring it back, to dodge and burn till your eyes bleed and to achieve the perfect blend of detail and color...

Just remember the Triangle theory... fast and good isn't cheap, cheap and good isn't fast and fast and cheap isn't good....

You'll get a feel for where things need to go and with the contrast layers added to help you see the "finer" problems.. you should make it look nice in no time...

Keep it at!

-conrad

Hey Chris! You got anything to add to this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 03:59 PM

Cool

Sorry But No Paper gonna do that.. Nor any cross processing, Or any processing at all. ONLY photoshop is going to get you that look!
Sorry
Go scan all you want...
Mayybe, I say Maybe, Some old sepia 8X10 polaroids and Some colored ones and some tweaked out lighting by Baptiste or Roversi...
But Not even then.
Wake up Kids, FILM is DEAD
AND No that is not the look I am looking for, Sorry. That looks like some simple desat. and some glow.
Looks like it was done in 5 minutes by the way.
Sn@@k

I guess you all did not check out my site.
I did not start yesterday....
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:03 PM

Wow I like this

http://photoshoptechniques.com/foru...ighlight=dragan

Great technique. I am going to be trying this out ASAP!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:17 PM

Shellby, Nice list I threw out there..HUH?
Enjoy.. there is a Sh*t load on that site!! So much my head is spinning..

I guess you do not "see" anything special on those sites either..Like Nancy

Well One thing is for sure.. Each image has to be individual tweaked as all are different.. But it is good to have the basis and many techniques to fall back on...
Let's keep the thread going in case any new discovery's are made..

I was not ragging on Nancy, But you have to be pretty blind to say such a thing as " I just do not see it" I still get a chuckle thinking about it

Hey Conrad , Glas your back, Got any inputs on acheiving this " I don't get it look" we are discussing..
I am sure In NEW YORK CITY, some big shot photographer has ask you to get this look at some point in your career, Or no?

Sn@@k
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:18 PM

mmm - ???

it seems you dont agree or believe anything anyone says, these technques are easily replicated, with a little effort...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nice_effect.jpg (96.0 KB, 341 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:20 PM

Snook

Wow, did I get into this a little late.
I see just what you are looking for Snook. You are right, it is not just a paper, or a simple desat/with the color brought back in. Even though Conrads image is not it, it is still a good shot at it for 5 minutes.

The problem is that it is NOT a simple process. Dragan used to give away his techniques a while ago. Fiskus's technique was actually achieved by his wife, who did his retouching and came up with her /his look. THey do not give out the technique. They do train a retoucher to do their work for them and that is how it is passed down. I do hope to learn it very soon. Nice to have some insider info.

So, there are obviously people out there who know what to do or have a incredible amount of time on their hands to CSI this stuff. But they, like you have seen that it is becoming very popular and are keeping their mouths closed in hopes of riding the money train. Those images bring in big bucks for a retouching house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305
Sorry But No Paper gonna do that.. Nor any cross processing, Or any processing at all. ONLY photoshop is going to get you that look!
Sorry
Go scan all you want...
Mayybe, I say Maybe, Some old sepia 8X10 polaroids and Some colored ones and some tweaked out lighting by Baptiste or Roversi...
But Not even then.
Wake up Kids, FILM is DEAD
AND No that is not the look I am looking for, Sorry. That looks like some simple desat. and some glow.
Looks like it was done in 5 minutes by the way.
Sn@@k

I guess you all did not check out my site.
I did not start yesterday....
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:25 PM

Pixel, Then why do not post how you are doing that?

Your doing a good job on the basic color tone, But yours are missing a lot of Drama and exxagerated in the shadows and highlights.

Care to drop your workflow.
Not to sound rude, But if it was SO easy, why are there thousands of threads trying to copy Dragan. Literally thousand of threads and I have yet to see anybody that comes close except for the few tries on the threads I post earlier.
Please cough up your 5 minute DRAGAN Flow
I ma sure there will be a lot of people thanking you...

Thanks ,
Sn@@k

PS. There several threads here in retouch that never figured out the technique either. Besides the other 100 forums out there...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:33 PM

how it goes

First - gather years of experience of colour knowledge... (couldn't resist - sorry)

original - as left image.... (1 min)
dupe layer (1.25 min)
desat base (original) - (1.5 mins)
mulitply layer 2 (2 mins)

add various techniques such as hue/sat or colour overlays to tweek depending on the image...

It actually took longer to place the psd's as a jpg and make it small enough to upload than it did to create the effect.

oh there may be a secrey posterisation layer in there somewhere (mums the word)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching