RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High-end digital retoucher in NYC

Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 PM

Cricket, Thank GOD. Someone who knows what I am talking about.

I almost lost it when NANCY said. I do not see it?? OR YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME

Then her groupies come out defending her saying I am being the PUSHY guy..

I listed about 2-3 and I have alot more of the HOTTEST retouching themes going on in any forum, And some one states , I do not see it?? LOL

O.K. when the client in New York pays $1000's for retouchers to get that look.
I 'd love to see the Client say " What? I do not see it....LOL Hello
Yeh There I do feel better...

Also Not that I am a huge fan of HIP HOP and RAP But they are all using it in there Gangster looking shot's, Well I want to incorporate the "look" Like many others in my Style of photography.
Or to understand what is happening in order to use it in different cases, That is all.
I in no way want to "Copy" Dragan. He exxaggerates peoples defects, I do the opposite. But like the tonality of the images..
Sn@@k

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305
Not to sound rude, But if it was SO easy, why are there thousands of threads trying to copy Dragan.
many people just want an easy fix, an action, or a set of filters to apply to every image..

OK this happens, but what happens, when a difficult image comes up that the set of filters doesn't like.

similar example - watch a digital photographer try to set the white balance of a raw image when there is no highlight in the shot!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:43 PM

Pixel, I prefer the 18 years of shooting and knowledge of light experience than color experience. Color Guys are a dime a dozen (had to say it)

Sorry But your 5 minute desat/Mult layer aint going to Cut it my friend.
Try duping the Blue channel rather than desat by the way.
I made an action similar to yours that takes literally 5 seconds on the Ol' G5 Dual 2.5 6 gigs of RAM..
I use it a lot along with several other layers..

Sn@@k
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:47 PM

What was this suppose to mean?
"similar example - watch a digital photographer try to set the white balance of a raw image when there is no highlight in the shot!!!"
RAW there is no white balance? That is determined later at ones taste...
You lost me on that statement...
Sn@@k
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:48 PM

I do not 'see' it because theres nothing to see, theres nothing special or unique about Dragans images, it is a common technique used by many photographers and retouchers as proved by the MANY people here on this forum able to easily reproduce it and many have given the steps to reproduce but still you insist that no-one else can do it and it is some magical mystical formula that only Dragan knows.
Its just one style of many and as I said earlier, it incorporates the common 'painting with light' technique that there are many tutorials on the web for.
You insist that is cannot be done with anything but photoshop and yet - the man himself admits that it is a modern way of doing what used to be done by hand in a lab.
"... Such manipulation is a modern substitute for the combination of an old-fashioned classical dye-and-brush painting, as well as dark room photographic techniques... Creating new illumination with this kind of retouch is, by the way, also another example of classical ‘painting with light’ techniques used by some photographers."
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 04:53 PM

Ok -

Snook, we are having quick stabs at this technique on images that were not shot by Dragen.

Compliments in one thread and when I reveal my layer order "It doesn't cut it"

Surely, this effect is just a little bit more effort than we are prepared to spend...

The sample I posted was created with a CMYK image lifted from a pdf...!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 05:12 PM

Nancy, As you stated, It was done with Painting (maybe airbrushing or even older, real dye tinting) But You will NEVER acheive the look in a LAB. I work with one of the best LAB printers in the US and maybe world for that matter.
They (he) Print(ed) for Helmut Newton,Bruce Weber, Steven Meisel,MArio Testino,craig mcdean,Mario sorentti, etc.. You will never get that look. I agree in tholder days as stated by you they painting (Modern day Dodge&Burning) The pictures to get a similar look.
All the post that you say have explained it have pretty much ended in a dead end. YES there is a lot of helpful information here and there, And that is what is all about. LEARNING.
I am asking for others opinion's here on there method. That is all.
After all this is just a forum to share information.
If you ask a question and someone said. I do not get it and it has been done, why do it. Then we would not have great forums for discussing these topics and learning.
I understand it is not your cup of tea and that is it.. No biggy.
I just think you saying It is normal and everybody does it is a very ignorant
statement IMHO.
Nothing personal.
I guess if someone saw a Ferrari and said I do not get it, It looks like a corvette and every other model car. People might look at you strange.
Maybe they are not a car fan...
And that is my feeling here.
Everyone has there opinion and you have yours.. Great

I guess also that if some one saw your Avatar, and said.. jeez that is old and everyone has done that glamour shot look. You might be surprised. or in your case maybe not...
You have me all confused on how I really feel about you....hahahaha
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Nancy, As you stated, It was done with Painting (maybe airbrushing or even older, real dye tinting) But You will NEVER acheive the look in a LAB. I work with one of the best LAB printers in the US and maybe world for that matter.
It was not me that said it - that was a quote from ragans website - straight from the horses mouth.
Quote:
I guess also that if some one saw your Avatar, and said.. jeez that is old and everyone has done that glamour shot look. You might be surprised. or in your case maybe not...
You have me all confused on how I really feel about you....hahahaha
Snook
If someone took my avatar and started raving about how it was some of the hottest retouching around and how no-one could recreate the effect I would be similarly baffled. Theres nothing special or unique about my avatar, its just as easy to recreate as the 'dragan' effect. But I suppose you wouldnt be satisfied with that either. But as I said, give me a before and after shot and I will recreate it and send you the psd. You still wouldnt be satisfied I assume.

FWIW, my avatar isnt a glamour shot, and I really worry about you if you think blue skin and hair made of silver 'snakes' is a standard 'glamour shot look'.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 05:23 PM

to sum up then

Snook, your images on your website are rather good,

not to prove or dis-prove any theories as to whether this kind of effect can be achieved, quickly or otherwise, I have spent a good 20 mins on an image you may recognize (hope U don't mind)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snook_original.jpg (87.2 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg snook_after.jpg (88.7 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by pixelfinity; 10-25-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2005, 05:26 PM

it's all gone a bit zoolander

for the record...

I will not be involved in a 'touch-off"
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching