RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High-end digital retoucher in NYC

Old 09-15-2005, 08:38 AM

High-end digital retoucher in NYC

Hi All...

Just reaching out to the world... seeing what comes back.

-conrad
http://conraddigital.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2005, 01:41 PM

Great work!

I was looking at your "befores", are your photogs using digital or scans? I see that same fuzzy, red, yellow look from some of my photogs. They shoot digital, but with their SLR lens. I always have to color correct and sharpen. Well, done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2005, 05:06 PM

Conrad, welcome to RetouchPRO

Your before and afters are a lesson and an inspiration for all!
And your attention to detail has made me one very unhappy nitpicker - no wait a minute, the "Nokia Still Life" is a a dud!!

BTW Marinari Sauce can de posted here ( The RetouchPRO Cookbook)

Congratulations!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2005, 06:09 AM

Nice work Conrad.

Were you just posting for views of your work or are you looking for position?

Chris

Last edited by cricket1961; 09-16-2005 at 06:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2005, 11:08 AM

Good to be here!

Hi All..

Thanks for the kind words.. I really wasn't looking for a pat on the back, but it certainly looks like I got a few. Being from NYC, you don't come across so many cordial people.. so a heart felt thanks from a jaded ole New Yorker

GRAPF:

about 90% of the images are analog... The digial photos were quite problematic.. all but the Prescriptives work I did with Jesse Frohman... His digital files are quite nice. Had problems with quality on the Tom Munro stuff though... It never fails... even great film is held captive by the scanner operator. The old saying.. a chain is only as strong as it's weekest link really holds true here.

ByRo:

Thanks for the kind welcome to the site. I'd supply my recipe for a Marinara, but then I'd have to kill you and I really don't want to do that just yet Keep in touch... i'm getting soft in my old age.

Cricket1961

Well, I've been viewing this area for a while and thought I get involved. What I'd really like to do is network with some working photographers, reps and such. I'm currently VERY employed, but looking to branch out a bit... Always up for new challenges

THanks again everyone.. i'll be popping my head in and out to see what kind of trouble you're all getting into..

-conrad
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2005, 01:15 PM

Smile hi

Hi Conrad,

Congratulations on your work! It is always good to see nicely retouched images!

Cheers!

George Rutherford
www.seagullsfly.com
www.fotolog.net/rutherford
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Freelancing?

Amazing work there. Do you freelance or are you employed by a company. I work in the UK at a DVD packaging company but I would really like to do more freelance work. Any advise? My website is www.retouchme.co.uk
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2005, 04:05 PM

Are you looking to freelance in the UK? I'm not sure what the market's like there, but here in NYC there's always plenty of work. There are many retouching agencies here and they're always looking for retouchers.. The thing that's big now is "transparency" when retouching. You tend to use a lot of blurring to achieve soft skin and that will DEFINITELY get you nowhere... I find myself doing a lot of dodging and burning at very close zoom ratios to achieve my skin work...

Good eye, though... and best of luck

-conrad
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 AM

UK Retoucher

Hello

I am doing some work now for a New York based fashion photographer. The last few examples on my website are his images. I can accept files via ftp so it doesn't really matter where the photographer is based. I haven't tried the technique you mention regarding dodge and burn. Is this used to even out the skin tone? I do use some Median blur but at a low opacity. I spend most of my time using the healing brush and clone stamp. I am really interested to learn new ways of doing retouching. Are there any tutorials on how to achieve this? Or is this a trade secret? ;-)

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2005, 06:58 PM

Shelby

Conrad is right. The use of a softlight layer filled with gray and painted with either black or white is the only way to get realistic skin texture. In Katrin Eismanns book it is gone over how to achieve this. In the new version coming out this October, I have an image that shows exactly what is going on with the technique in conjunction with the healing tool.
One thing I forgot to add when I told her about the technique for the second version of the book is that using a black brush can leave a gray "film" that is not nice when used on flesh. For Darkening(burning) pick a area around the hairline that is a darker area of the flesh. This will give you a good balance that you can then change in the color picker using the brightness slider to make darker/lighter while keeping the balance.
Good luck. Conrad is right. For high end retouching blurring the flesh and recreating texture will not fly at all.

Chris
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching