RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

need help in retouch slide scan

Old 09-17-2005, 01:52 PM

Here is my effort.

1. Selective color adj layer, balanced mid gray point on collar to neutral. Face lookd bad.

2. On adj layer painted face with black brush to restore face to original. Too much. About half way would be closer to good skin tones. So Alt click on adj ayer mask to make it visible. Color selection of the blacks and fill selection with 50% gray. Now some of the color adjustment from the adj layer show through. Looks better, but still not there.

3. Another Selective color adj layer on top of stack. Adjust color for face, jacket and background will go off color. Copy mask from first adj. layer to new adj layer. Invert mask. background is restored but color of new adj layer remains.
Almost happy with color. Will fix localized tones latter.

4. Eyes look bad. Make 50% new layer for dodging and burning. Low opacity white brush to lighten up areas around eyes. Color really shifts badly on worked areas, don't worry about it now, can be fixed easily latter. Made layer set and put these layers in it. Made new merged layer from set, having only set visible, ctl-shft-alt-N-E (whew!).

5. Copied the new layer once more by dragging to new layer icon at bottom. Healing brush to clean up under eyes. Overdo it a little. It will look plastic and unnatural. When done, lower opacity and let original of copy layer underneath show through. About 44% looked good. Eyes look much better and more natural now.

6.? Don't remember but I think the eyes still looked to dark so I made another new merged copy layer of the top two layers and then another 50% dodge/burn layer. Painted with white to lighten eyes.

7. Merged last copy layer and D/B layer. Going to work on the local discolored areas. Set brush to color, 10%. Select a good, normal skin color, light mid tone that is near the area you want to correct. While in brush mode, hold down the Alt key and the color picker comes up. Bush over the discolored areas. Build up, the bad color will start to disappear and merge with your selected color. Do this with the various discolored areas, sample new for each area that is in a different color zone.

Took longer to write this than do the steps.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orig-050917-LL.jpg (98.8 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2005, 10:11 PM

Larry looks very natural.

I thought I'd have a go at this, as my main bug was the missing hairline. Dont recall all that I did other than I created a new layer and wound the brightness and contrast right up to pick out the hairline and then slightly dodged around the background of it before overlaying with a very small opacity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orig copy.jpg (84.3 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2005, 01:08 AM

Hi, just thought I would throw this in because no one else has really followed this thought process ... I did not retouch the face as that was not the point of this thread ...

-new layer, inserted red channel and set to luminosity blend mode, flattened
-Control-Alt-~ to select highlights
-Control-Shift-I to invert selection
-Control-J to copy selcted shadows to new layer, set blend mode to screen
-Control-J a bunch of times to dup this layer to lighten hair
-Duped background layer and merged hair lightening layers with this dup, masked to just effect hair

Hope this helps,
Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scanned-slide.jpg (75.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by roger_ele; 09-18-2005 at 01:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2005, 10:42 AM

larry, cass and roger,

many thanks for the workflows of your different approaches, will put them to work on my original

many thanks again

bert
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching