RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to sample skin color

Old 09-29-2005, 02:05 AM

How to sample skin color

I have two color photos and would like to know how can I sample the skin color of one photo and apply that color to the other photo.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 03:55 AM

If using photoshop, open both photos and then using the colour picker sample from one photo and then change window to the other photo and the colour selection should remain
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 08:13 AM

Also, the highlights and shadows will vary so be sure to color pick often.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 12:02 PM

Photoshop CS has the ability to take the color scheme from one photo and apply it to another. I don't have CS here so I'm not sure exactly where it is but I'm sure someone else can help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose443
Photoshop CS has the ability to take the color scheme from one photo and apply it to another. I don't have CS here so I'm not sure exactly where it is but I'm sure someone else can help.
i guess thats the "match color" function in "image/adjust" menu. but that gives me totally uncontrollable and unwanted results most of the time for skin colors, so it seems theres no easy way of applying the skin to another image
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 11:11 AM

Skin is never just one color. What really works is sampling an entire range from highlight to shadow. A series of swatches generated from each of these samples can be the basis of a gradient map which can then be customized to the detail profile of the target image. You'll need a good mask for the skin areas.

If the tones are close to begin with, you can compare two similarly lit areas and simply take the numbers from one and use a curve to transfer the other. If the cheek of the reference image comes out to read R:235 G:176 B:142, and a similar area on the target image reads R:194 G:137 B:100, simply apply a curve to the target, add midpoints and enter the input values from the target image and the output values from the reference. This way you won't simply be overlaying a single hue onto your image; the curves will distribute the shift proportionally through areas lighter and darker than your sample area.

If the differences are too extreme, then I would say that the Gradient map is the way to go. It's the Atomic Bomb of color changes.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching