RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mimicking Cross Processing Effect

Old 10-30-2005, 09:19 AM

Thanks, I think Pierre!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2005, 09:51 AM

pierre,

thank you. that does help and i sort of get the idea now. i've a couple more newbie photography questions if you're willing. as an amateur photographer, i never shot with slide film. heck, i'm not even sure back then i knew there was such a thing as slide specific film. had i wanted slides i most probably would have taken the shots in normal film and had it processed into slides. and you mention 'color transparency film', which i assume is primarily used to make color transparencies for overhead projectors or some such. so why do they call it 'color reversal film' when you're talking about slides? a slide comes out as a positive when processed, so i assume it had to be a negative first. so, what's 'reversed' about it? and ok, it's a transparency, so that part is reversed. is that it? is that why they call it color reversal?

obviously, i've got some confusions here. any help to straighten me out would be appreciated.

oh, and i can now contribute a tiny bit to the original topic of this thread. you can do some very interesting techniques with 'curves'. and i think this might fit with what you're talking about here. just reverse your settings in various channels from what you'd normally do. i did a little experimenting with this a while back and rather than making a gentle sloping curve or something along those lines, do a sine wave type with lots of peaks and valleys. you can really get some of those 'color processing' effects that way.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 07:42 AM

Craig,
I don't know much about the details of slide processing, but I looked it up for you. A slide starts as a negative image. A later step reverses that into a positive. Thus the name.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panpan
Craig,
I don't know much about the details of slide processing, but I looked it up for you. A slide starts as a negative image. A later step reverses that into a positive. Thus the name.

Pierre
Having a negative scanner, it definitelu scans i positive mode
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy
Having a negative scanner, it definitelu scans i positive mode
Yes, the end result is a positive image. However, within the chemical process there are some early steps where the image is a negative.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 08:35 PM

thanks guys.

i did a little bit of looking also. and both normal print film and slide film burn as a negative first. both are then converted to a positive. in the case of 'normal' film it gets printed on paper, and in the case of slides, it gets printed on a transparency. ok, so we all kinda knew that. what i had forgotten was that a slide negative in 35mm prints to 35 mm on color transparency film....at least as best i can currently understand it. this is off the Kodak.com site:
Quote:
KODAK VERICOLOR Slide Film is intended for producing same-size positive transparencies from color negatives or for making reduced-size transparencies from larger negatives.
so, even though both films use a negative to positive approach, the slide film is printing its results onto a color transparency film and perhaps that's why they use different development processing? lol. oh well, i think i at least answered my original question

thanks.

Craig

edit: i may still have this a bit wrong. i see on that same site that they talk about something called an 'internegative', which i'm currently assuming is where you might take normal film, transfer it by a photographic process to this 'internegative', which then allows to transfer it chemically to the color transparency? lol. why do i get into these things?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 08:53 PM

ok, i just did another search on 'how stuff works' and got this:
Quote:
Film Options
When you purchase a roll of film for your camera, you have a lot of choices. Those products that have the word "color" in their name are generally used to produce color prints that you can hold in your hand and view by reflected light. The negatives that are returned with your prints are the exposures that were made in your camera. Those products that have the word "chrome" in their name produce a color transparency (slides) that requires some form of projector for viewing. In this case, the returned slides are the actual film that was exposed in your camera.
so, slides ARE the film from the camera. and that in turn explains a bit more

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2005, 08:15 AM

hopefully, just some further clarifications on some of these terms:
Quote:
A negative created directly from a colour-reversal (positive) or black-white positive film. It is the negative copy of the camera original.
www.vistek.ca/glossary/default.asp
this is apparently used to take a slide BACK to a negative. it's also a term used when taking a print BACK to a negative.

so, now that i've effectively killed this thread... cross processing is based on the two different, standard processes for developing, one for normal prints and one for developing negatives into slides. so, by crossing the processes, using one for other than it was intended, you get odd, sometimes desirable results. whew!

we now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching