RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Recreate this effect

Old 10-30-2005, 09:22 AM

i like that, catherine. a bit strong on the yellow in the background, but great looking effect on the horses!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2005, 11:06 AM

Yeah, I blew the background out completely <grin> and just painted it back in quickly, added some noise and angled strokes on a separate layer, so I could work on the horses. That's what I mean, with some time invested, I think it could work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2005, 12:35 PM

yup; i agree

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2005, 11:02 PM

Very nice Catherine, and pretty close.. thanks, great place to start playing with it...
~Nancy~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 09:16 AM

Nanls,

There was a great article in Photoshop Users Magazine in Sept 2005 on pages 37-43 where the use of "Corel Painter" was discussed in getting a painting look from a photograph.

If you have painting skills - there are all kinds of watercolor, acrilic and pencil tools within Painter. You end up using the photo as the underlying guide - and you can mix the results - which sometimes produces a very nice look or painted reality.

You can purchase the issue at www.photoshopuser.com or maybe still get it at Borders - The front cover has a picture of a Girl that was photo painted.

Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 11:19 AM

On this we agree, Ray:
Quote:
If you have painting skills - there are all kinds of watercolor, acrilic and pencil tools within Painter. You end up using the photo as the underlying guide - and you can mix the results - which sometimes produces a very nice look or painted reality.
I applaud PS User for including an article on Painter (Who would have ever thunk it?), but after reading this article I was somewhat disappointed. IMO the content was long on "what's possible," but fell short on providing sufficient usable information (as in specifics for a Painter rookie) describing how to achieve the effects illustrated. In all fairness there's no way to adequately cover such a broad topic in the few pages this article was alotted.

My suggestion would be that one look into books like Painter IX for Photographers (Addison) or the Painter 8 (not IX) edition of Jeremy Sutton's Painter Creativity. Although one of these books is approx. twice as expensive as a single copy of PS User, each has hundreds of pages of content with specific instructions and tutorials suited for those just getting started with Painter.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching