RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get highly polished skin?

Old 08-15-2006, 12:16 PM

Hi,

In my opinion the dodge / burn tools are perfect to polish skin. I'm not convinced by the "grey layer" method, it's less precise and take more time (maybe i'm wrong but when I use this method the color turn to be too saturate and "posterized"... I have to retouch again to correct this)

With dodge / burn we can correct and create shadows, midtones and highlights ! The colors are more "natural" than "grey layer" method.

I'm so sorry not to be fluent in english but in this thread I explain in French how to reduce the size of the skin texture (grain ?) You have to use convolution (Filter > Other > Custom...) or - better - a negative high pass in overlay mode (opacity : 20 - 30 %) moved from 1 pixel (or more) to the left / right (it depend of the light) Maybe some french guys could translate that for us.

An example of skin with dodge & burn tools (and brush in color mode - Alt to sample the colour). This is not finish yet (I'm working on it) but it give a good idea what we can do with this fabulous tools. It's only dodge / burn / brush tool (no clone)

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2663/burntoolcm4.jpg

PS : color or colour ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2006, 12:37 PM

Here is my quick attempt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quickie.jpg (99.8 KB, 121 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2006, 02:23 PM

Julien,

The advantage of the gray layer method is that you can change and rework, erase, etc. The color shift is a problem but it is easily handled by using a blank layer above the D/B set to color mode. A brush set to hue and white will desatiurate colors which is what you generally need when a very dark area is lightened. Set the brush to color and sample to change colors. I don't find it too much extra work.

Here is example of my attempt at polished skin or at least as polished as I would want to make this image. It is the same image I posted above, flattened and the color and density worked. I used the techniques Amy Dresser explained in another thread to get the polished look and bring up the highlights.

In lightening to get the face skin tones where I wanted them I created two problems. The hair looked washed out, no contrast. I used a narrow shadow tone mask (Mitchell, thelightsrightstudio) with a curves layer to deepen the blacks. I painted out on the mask any areas of the face I did not what effected. It fixed the hair nicely and made the whole image snap. Second, the shadow on the ladies right jaw (camera) had a greenish, sallow color and the tone was uneven. I painted a mask limited to the discolored jaw area and used it with a curves layer to adjust the color. The uneven tone was smoothed with a D/B layer.

I anyone is interested, I made a PDF of Amy Dresser technique. This was a revelation to me and I learned much. She provided a PSD file with layers intact. I pulled apart the image layer by layer and commented on what each layer did. If you would like a copy I will email it to you. It is 1.1MB in size. Email me at leuallen at netscape.net if you would like a copy. By the way, she uses dodge and burn like Julien but I still prefer the gray layer.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00034-silver-LL.jpg (97.0 KB, 207 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2006, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien Lions
Hi,

I'm so sorry not to be fluent in english but in this thread I explain in French how to reduce the size of the skin texture (grain ?) You have to use convolution (Filter > Other > Custom...) or - better - a negative high pass in overlay mode (opacity : 20 - 30 %) moved from 1 pixel (or more) to the left / right (it depend of the light) Maybe some french guys could translate that for us.

PS : color or colour ?
Hi Julien,

Im kind of new here, I was impressed by the retouch done by Tricky..how did she accomplish the sharpness on the image?? I dont read or speak French, sorry. I would love it if you could give use some more information on this

thank you,
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2006, 02:55 AM

I'm interested by you PDF leuallen (my email : contact@jlions.com ) Thanks a lot !

MrPatch, Tricky use the default values, as "he" say, of Photoshop custom filter, wich are :

0 -1 0
-1 5 -1
0 -1 0

It's surprising but it seem to work

One day after posting my retouching, I feel not convinced by my skin texture... it's really not finished ! In fact, this is not good at all at this stage ! (sorry, I will upload better this we)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2006, 05:18 AM

I just had to give this one a go...such a stunning model!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTP1a.jpg (51.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg RTP1.jpg (51.4 KB, 168 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien Lions
Hi Julien - you're example is pretty good! But I'm not sure I quite get how you did it? Can you explain in steps how you obtained that look?

/megl
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2006, 07:07 AM

Yet again another model with such a gorgeous face! This is my take...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTP2a.jpg (60.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg RTP2.jpg (50.4 KB, 161 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziaphra
Wow Ziaphra, this is great...It reminds of http://www.eugeniorecuenco.com/..one of my favorite photographers. Check him out.

What was your workflow on this?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziaphra
Almost looks like you are smudging?

/megl
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching