RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get highly polished skin?

Old 09-17-2006, 05:19 PM

nice work theveed......i started out cheating skin with blurs and such....now strictly D&B.....takes a couple of hours to do my skinwork, but the result is worth it and can't be matched by any shortcut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2006, 11:35 PM

Great work Veed. I like what you have done you have done with her lips. That was a problem for me with this image. Do you use the dodge and burn tools or do you use a Soft Light layer? Also just how long did it take you to do that? I started this image using D&B but it was taking ages...I use a Soft Light layer with a 4 - 8% opacity brush and I zoom right in close (at least 600% and upwards). Eventually I gave up and started to use the clone tool and the healing brush.

Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Patron

Edit: Whoops.

Tried to achieve this look with Flaming Pear's Mr. Contrast, but can't seem to get the shimmer that I would like.

Edit: Thought I changed the title as well; I originally posted this one thinking I was on another thread. I still haven't tried some of the other techniques outlined, but I will.

Last edited by lkroll; 09-18-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd
Great work Veed. I like what you have done you have done with her lips. That was a problem for me with this image. Do you use the dodge and burn tools or do you use a Soft Light layer? Also just how long did it take you to do that? I started this image using D&B but it was taking ages...I use a Soft Light layer with a 4 - 8% opacity brush and I zoom right in close (at least 600% and upwards). Eventually I gave up and started to use the clone tool and the healing brush.

Syd
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but this is what I do. I was taught this in a 3 hour tutorial from a specTACular retoucher.

Regarding Soft Light, I literally just found out about doing it that way TODAY, and tried it. It's the same result, though. You can do D&B on a Soft Light layer, or you can just duplicate the layer. Personally, I like duplicating the layer, because I like to even out the skin color.

I use the Dodge set to Midtones, anywhere from 5-10% opacity (depends on your pen tool settings.)

Now, Syd, what I would say you did wrong was that you zoomed in. DON'T zoom in, at least not right away. Start big first. Zoom out so the face fits the screen, and that's it. Start that way, then slowly zoom in.

Here's a BIG tip: Once you feel you did a good job, then use a Curves Adjustment Layer to really bring out the shadows. You'll see all sorts of new things to go over. Then use another layer to bring out the highlights, and you'll see more things to smooth out.

There is also a tiny bit of Dust & Scratches that I'll use.

The whole thing took me about 2 or 3 hours, with many breaks taken in between. If I had applied myself, it would have taken maybe 40 minutes.

Like I said, Syd, I'm not perfect, but I personally didn't encounter at any time, a need for the stamp tool. From what I've learned, the stamp tool is very destructive, and you pretty much NEVER want to use it. The healing brush is better, but even then, you RARELY want to use it, and if you do, try to set it at Replace instead of Normal. And the most you want to use on a blur, is 1.0%. Seriously.

I hope this helps. This is just one way to do it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 08:28 AM

Veed, thanks a lot. I shall try it out immediately. I think you are right. My problem is that I have been zooming in too close, too quickly. It takes forever to do a square centimeter. And thanks for the tip about the curve adjustment. Sometime back Shelby mentioned that in this thread somewhere but I never really understood it until now. One further question: What size is your brush? If I am zoomed into about 700% I might use a 2 pixel brush and sometimes I use a 1 pixel brush when I am even closer. (Now you know why it takes me so long)! I have never had anyone to teach me this and I have just had to fumble my way along. What is the hardness of your brush? I use a 0% hardness.

Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 AM

My hardness varies anywhere from 0-50%. I like to keep it at 20-30, just cuz that's what I'm used to. As for size, on average it ranges from 10-50 pixels, but yes, sometimes a smaller brush is needed.

Practice by not zooming in. Do an image where you don't move in more than 200%. You'll see you can get the same effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 10:09 AM

Thanks Veed I will do exactly as you suggested. I'll see if I can find a decent image to work on and posts thre results. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 03:01 PM

I think i know how they do it. Its all about using selective colour and hue and saturation. You have to pick out the individual pixels that make up the blemishes in colour range, and then adjust accordingly. Takes a long time. Your talking around 12 hrs per image
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2006, 04:00 AM

I had to

give this image a try. here is my work on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before-after.jpg (64.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Before-after-2.jpg (35.2 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by hafrover; 09-19-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 11:31 AM

Re: How to get highly polished skin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellby
Hello

I am trying to find out how to achieve that highly polished look in retouching skin like the Dior adverts.

Have a look at this link to a hair salon and view their portfolio section:

http://www.rush.co.uk/portfolio.htm

If you look at my portfolio you can see that I am on my way to getting smooth skin, however I am not sure how to get this exact look.

I have used the method of median blur, and then bringing back detail with noise on a softlight layer. I also spend a lot of time using the healing brush to remove blemishes beforehand.

The pro's do not use any blurring.

Another method I have been trying out is the dodge and burn technique (thanks Conrad - from a previous thread) This does a good job of getting rid of blochy skin BUT just how do they get that polished look without blurring??

You can view my website to see the kind of work I do.
I don't think that they will give you an correct answer due to copying them! I think they HAVE used blurr or some kind of blur technique! This is very smootk...You can barely see the skin texture...But maybe the hav a pore brush that they put in pores afterwards and then smoothen on top of th eblurred skin! a technique I want to see in action...Maybe someone can post a version like that???

gerry
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching