RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get highly polished skin?

Old 10-18-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellby
The pro's do not use any blurring.
Quite a sweeping statement! For "normal" glamour retouching the "pro" wouldn't use any blurring so as to be sure that the skin texture is conserved. However, as you are asking about a polished look then I'd say that this isn't a case of normal glamour work.

suzzie12, welcome to RetouchPRO .
I too find the CS2 surface blur superior to the median. The method you outlined here works just fine.
Lately I've been using the surface blur in LAB mode with different parameters for each channel - still learning but the results are getting better.

linen, welcome to RetouchPRO .
Don't know if I understood correctly, but wouldn't the multiply be darkening the skin?

As to what was actually used - could be median, could be smudge, could be blur, could be air-brush.
Like eveything in PS, there are many ways to get to a result, sometimes it comes down to personal preference.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2005, 09:49 AM

Unreal, have gone from PS7 to CS2 and never noticed a surface blur until it was mentioned tonight, obviously wearing blinkers

Last edited by Cassidy; 10-18-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2005, 11:06 PM

skin

Well, with all of the high-end jobs you see advertised they always say no blurring. BUT if you look at the DIOR adverts and some Loreal adverts they seem sooooo polished. It is hard to imagine that they do not use blur. There must be a secret to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2005, 10:09 AM

Theres also no skin texture.
You're comparing 2 different things here - job adverts that specify no blurring (btw where are you seeing these adverts?) are likely wanting to preserve skin texture - which blurring can remove or in cases where the skin is very textured - make it look blotchy.
These 'polished', as you call them, pictures are either blurred, airbrushed, recoloured, median/surface blurred or a combination of the above.
Theres no big secret - there are a number of methods to achieve that effect. But if you're not happy with our answers why not ask him how he did it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2005, 01:09 PM

skin

He wasn't forthcoming when I asked, so I thought I should try here before asking him again... I will though.

There is acutally an advert on here for a retoucher that says no blurring or airbrushing:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/classifieds/11853-full-time-high-end-fashion-beauty-retoucher-position.html

Have a look at their amazing gallery:

http://www.markusklinko-indrani.com/...llery/main.htm

Looking through it, it doesn't look as if they do any blurring and there work looks really realistic (not like the example I posted above)

I just thought perhaps there was something I didn't know about...

I have also read a method by the glitter guru. It uses the clone stamp at a large size but on a low opacity:

http://graphic-design.com/Photoshop/glamour.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2005, 03:36 PM

tbh, I cant tell whether their portfolio is any good or not - all the images are very small and mostly distance shots. They also dont show what the images look like before. If I was looking for a retoucher - I most definately would not choose them.
TBH, their advert seems very silly to me - sounds like they want to control their employees too much.
It is possible to use blurring and airbrushing whilst still maintaining the original skin texture - or the desired texture. If you cant blur or airbrush all you're really left with is cloning, layer blending and chanels - so either they have a very ineffecient work flow and they really are clone stamping out every single imperfection or they're models and photographers are all perfect
At the end of the day, all the client cares about is the end result. As long as the result doesnt look airbrushed or blurred then thats what matters.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2005, 05:08 PM

As we can see from these forums there are a great deal of techniques for retouching and an even greater variation in desired results. What may work for one client may not work for another. Terminology is also quite variable in this field as there is a lot of subjectivity and certain "looks" don't really have specific terms attached to them. I would guess that this company is looking for someone with the ability to retouch without a "blurred" or "airbrushed" look. This may mean the would like a more realistic retouch regardless of the steps taken to achieve it. I wouldn't take the request too literally.

In terms of the channels, the production manager in question may have done a lot of channel blending to reduce "noisy" channels and may have retouched channel by channel cloning out unwanted information or using the myriad of tools other than blur available in photoshop. He may have used LAB colorspace as it separates luminosity from color and allows for manipulation of the lumiosity information without risking a color shift.

Regardless, the best solution is usually that which gives the desired result. After looking at Shelby's site I actually prefer her retouching to her production manager's results; but then again it really depends on the final purpose of the images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2005, 05:21 PM

I would say that comparing shelbys work to her production managers is not really a fair comparison. From what I've seen most of Shelbys work is 'natural' and realistic whereas her production managers work has a more stylised look which is common for high fashion cosmetics and hair products/styles, where realism isnt the point - hair styles like that rarely exist beyond the catwork and the fashion photo shoot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2005, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
I would say that comparing shelbys work to her production managers is not really a fair comparison.
In terms of personal preference it absolutely is a fair comparison. In terms of the effectiveness of the image in it's final application, well, that would depend on what the final application is. I still prefer the aesthetic quailties of Shelby's work... which is as valid as not choosing the retouchers from the advert based on their website, regardless of the quality of work the produce.

A technique to attempt with channels is as follows:

1. Duplicate the original to a new layer.
2. Select each channel individually and retouch as if it were a BW image, preserving the basic tonality of the channel.
3. Go back to your layers and reduce the saturation of the layer.
4. Set blending mode to lumiosity.

It's not an inherently better way to retouch and really doesn't side-step the need to blur or airbrush or clone but it is a quick jump into to retouching with channels. For those less comfortable working directly with the channels themselves, Photoshop allows you to copy the channel to a layer and work with it there. Once you're done working simply flatten the appropriate layers, copy and paste the layer back into the appropriate channel of the original image (duplicated of course). This way you can add all the adjustment layers, masks, or any other tools you would normally use.

A very basic technique but possibly a good start.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 AM

Channels

Oh ok. I think I am going to give that method a go. I do work with channels mainly for creating DCS2 files and saving selections. This is something I want to learn more about, so thank-you.

I think that with the big retouching companies their big clients would not be happy for them to show before examples. Some companies have a section called "case study" where they get special permission to show the retouch step by step. Here is another amazing company based here in the UK:

http://www.taylorjames.com

The client list speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching