RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get highly polished skin?

Old 10-20-2005, 10:00 AM

Klinko & Indrani

Nancy... I just wanted to point out (incase you didn't know) that Markus Klinko & Indrani are without doubt high among the top 5 most sought after commercial and celebrity photographers on the planet; not only for their inimitable skill with the camera, but just as much for their unrivalled quality and ingenuity of post-production.

I'm not sure how deeply you investigated their website, but their portfolio contains some of the entertainement world's most iconic images of the last few years, including images of Iman, David Bowie, Beyonce Knowles, Mariah Carey, JayZ, Kelis, Britney Spears and so many others... totally exceptional images that have had more worldwide exposure than the work of just about any other current photographic team you could mention. In addition to that, they currently shoot the majority of imagery for L'Oreal - both hair & cosmetics - as well as work for Hugo Boss and Dior.

Their retouching skills are really quite incredible, and are clearly more inclined to the "fantasy" style of retouching (rather than the "reality" style). It is unfortunate that the website presents such tiny examples of their work, I have seen a lot of it at full size & full resolution and believe me... it's utterly stunning. They have a whole team of retouchers working under the guidance of Indrani herself.

Shellby - about a year ago I applied for that position myself (they're constantly advertising for high-end retouchers). I missed out on the job only because I was based in London and they were looking for someone based in NYC... I shudder to think about how much I might have learned at that studio.

Incidentally... I never, ever use any kind of blur. Neither do I use the healing brush or the history brush. Everything is done with the clone stamp - initially at pixel level, then gradually increasing in size whilst decreasing in opacity. This is complimented by ultra-detailed dodging and burning. Nothing else.

SK
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek
Nancy... I just wanted to point out (incase you didn't know) that Markus Klinko & Indrani are without doubt high among the top 5 most sought after commercial and celebrity photographers on the planet; not only for their inimitable skill with the camera, but just as much for their unrivalled quality and ingenuity of post-production.
Skill with the camera means less post production is necessary - I was not commenting on their photography skills, merely on the fact that their portfolio does not adequately showcase their post production skills.
Quote:
I'm not sure how deeply you investigated their website, but their portfolio contains some of the entertainement world's most iconic images of the last few years, including images of Iman, David Bowie, Beyonce Knowles, Mariah Carey, JayZ, Kelis, Britney Spears and so many others... totally exceptional images that have had more worldwide exposure than the work of just about any other current photographic team you could mention. In addition to that, they currently shoot the majority of imagery for L'Oreal - both hair & cosmetics - as well as work for Hugo Boss and Dior.
Maybe its just me but I dont get starstruck with pictures of celebrities or big brands. Yes their client list is impressive but it doesnt show me what they can do.
Quote:
Their retouching skills are really quite incredible, and are clearly more inclined to the "fantasy" style of retouching (rather than the "reality" style). It is unfortunate that the website presents such tiny examples of their work, I have seen a lot of it at full size & full resolution and believe me... it's utterly stunning. They have a whole team of retouchers working under the guidance of Indrani herself.
This is what I'm talking about - the pictures are tiny and with no 'before' shots for comparison it is impossible to tell how much of the end result is due to stunning models, fantastic lighting and photography and how much is actually retouched.
You are lucky to have seen their work properly, but the rest of us are stuck with the images on the website.

I'm not dissing their skills, I'm just saying that its impossible to tell from the pictures on their website.
Quote:
Incidentally... I never, ever use any kind of blur. Neither do I use the healing brush or the history brush. Everything is done with the clone stamp - initially at pixel level, then gradually increasing in size whilst decreasing in opacity. This is complimented by ultra-detailed dodging and burning. Nothing else.

SK
I use whatever is appropriate to the task. In some cases blurring is the best and most efficient way to produce the desired effect.
If you look at some of the L'oreal adverts - the girls skin has a very 'waxy' look to it - which median does brilliantly as long as the model isnt blotchy. Some look recoloured (skin is the exact same colour all over) and some look like they have some parts airbrushed but 'airbrushing' can be a large umbrella of actions or can refer just to directly 'painting' onto the photograph with colour.

...and I now know who to blame when my hair colour looks nothing like the box

Last edited by NancyJ; 10-20-2005 at 10:26 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 10:35 AM

Hey Nancy,

I understand exactly what you're saying - photos of famous people don't do it for me either - but it's a shame you can't see these images in all their full size glory, because then the aspect of those images that DOES impress me would be more evident: the "creative" aspect of what they do, and the skill with which they execute it. I expect they could take a photo of a sack of potatoes and make it look fabulous enough to go on the cover of Vogue.

However - you are right - it is almost impossible to evaluate the images when they are so small.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any of their "before" pictures, but I do know that they use the most advanced and highly regarded lighting systems in the world, and Hasselblad cameras with Leaf digital backs. I also know from extensive personal experience that NO MODEL LOOKS THAT GOOD.... EVER!!!

SK
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:
NO MODEL LOOKS THAT GOOD.... EVER!!!

SK
Obviously no-one is perfect but there are some very beautiful women in the world and having a good base to start from makes a huge difference.

These are two of the hardest I've ever worked on ...
http://www.hazelryan.co.uk/Site2/before/P6233275.jpg
http://www.hazelryan.co.uk/Site2/before/P3241010.jpg
The first one is probably not the best angle to photograph her from, the makeup is awful and her hair looks like straw.
The second one would be quite pretty if it werent for the sun/sun bed abuse to her skin... On the close up its so damaged and cracked around her lips and the bags under her eyes are awful. I cant begin to imaging how many hours it would have taken to correct that skin damage without any airbrushing or blurring.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2005, 12:36 AM

I ll give an example for this topic. pardon me if there is copyright issue because I get it from a friend of mine. any idea on how they make it?

Realaqu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after.jpg (99.8 KB, 752 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 10:51 AM

No one give me some hints about how they made this one?

realaqu
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 01:05 PM

Well, realaqu, I assume a photo like this requires a great spectra of techniques as well as a lot of time. Cloning/healing; color management; painting with light and dark; texturized airbrushing; are a few of the methods that immediatly cross my mind. Just as when dealing with any kind of project, a retoucher has to apply all of his or hers knowledge to that particular enterprise in order to come up with a solution. And as has been written many times on this forum, there are myriads of methods to accomplish that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 07:27 PM

It seems to me the one on the left is the (already heavily retouched) original. The wrinkles on the other one look a little fake.

Look for aging tutorials to achieve that effect.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 10:54 PM

Cool Retouching attempt

realaqu,

The picture you posted got stuck in my head, so I just had to give it a go. I took the photo of the old lady and turned it into the attached file. The entire procedure took me about 20 minutes to half an hour. If I had been more careful - giving it more time and effort, I could have accomplished the finished result displayed in your post. Like I wrote, everything is possible with the correct technique. Inspiration plays an important factor as well.

Last edited by Arandel; 08-31-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2005, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panpan
It seems to me the one on the left is the (already heavily retouched) original. The wrinkles on the other one look a little fake.

Look for aging tutorials to achieve that effect.

Pierre
I don't think either image is 'original'; the 'old' image definitely has a fake look to me, & I'm pretty sure the 'young' image has seen some retouching too.

I've no idea about the origin of these images, so I'm not saying it is the case here, but I have seen before & after images where the 'before' has had as much retouching done as the after - in an attempt to make the retouch look more impressive.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching