RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get highly polished skin?

Old 11-22-2005, 01:36 PM

Hi ray 12,
Sorry for delay and I am not sure you wanted me to reply but I will anyway.
The blending brush in painter that is called "just add water" is a wonderfull
blending brush.... it works as if you were actually applying water to dry paint to blend. I am sorry I don't have a site or good sample to show other than my web site www.airbrushimaging.com look at the oil painting detail of the little girls face. That is not the best sample I just have not shown this or talked about it in detail.
The way I use it (just add water brush) is to have the brush opacity set low 10% or so and the size adjusted for the area your working in , small around detailed areas and larger on cheeks forehead etc. This is so simple and makes a perfect blend you can make the image look airbrushed or blend the skin lightly so you don't remove skin detail. I work on a clone a lot of the time just to be safe but you don't really need to. You do need a tablet to get the full advantage of the brush and you do not need to make selections just practice a bit and you can fix any portrait and make it to as polished as you want and it DOES NOT LOOK like a blur tool plus this is a great brush for finishing restoration work. I need to say the brush set at 10% requires you to build on the blending it usually is not a one pass stroke and you need to develop a touch like glazing paint but if you try this you will love it.
Don
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 06:43 AM

I keep meaning to dig out my painter software not used in ages. I like the just add water brush and will give this ago, could make some interesting christmas gifts for family. Alot of info in this post and amazing how many ways one can go about a job with our chosen tools.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 09:35 AM

You know there is no real quick fix. I just get out the heal and patch tools and use them with your image zoom set to like 400%. Working with really small areas at such a large zoom, you get a virtually flawless look without loosing the texture. A bit anal retentive, but you cannot get away from doing things manually even with the filters and tools (I've actually found dust & scratches useful with large pores!). Don't look for a quick fix or you loose the sense of artistry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 11:05 AM

Do it this way...

Hi, I'm a pro photographer and retoucher, and I've already saw the Rush's portfolio, as I've imagined this kind of work is doing by painting the photo again, if you work in Photoshop just create a new layer and begin to work in it. Use the brush at 30% of opacity. You'll see this work. Oh! this is one of your photos, I took it as a sample.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pores_hover_VMretouch.jpg (44.5 KB, 527 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 01:31 PM

Another idea...

Been chatting with the guy who actually did the Rush images and he said that he also uses a method where you choose one of the channels, copy it over onto a layer, then play around with the blend modes. I have had a play and it can have some interesting results. He said that he would try and dig out one of the layered files for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 02:41 PM

Blur and noise with luminocity option is very good as a snapshot for a history brush. Using this tool with multiply and screen option, is possible to control all skin structure.
Sample of this technique: http://www.pbase.com/equinaut/image/53038185
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 04:24 PM

Retouching

If you go and have a look at my portfolio on www.retouchme.co.uk you will see that I have been using the dodge and burn method - either with curves or a 50% gray softlight layer - and I have been keeping the detail in the skin.

I just wondered how people acheive the RUSH look without blur.

http://www.rush.co.uk/portfolio.htm

I know the guy who did it and he said that he did not use blur / median / surface blur. I believe he copied a channel over (eg the RED channel - as it has the least amt of detail) and then used a blend mode and masks to add the effect where he wanted it to go.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 04:28 PM

how odd

I was actually replying to a post that was here, and by the time I completed mine the post was deleted???
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2005, 03:29 AM

Some more examples DIOR adverts...

Here are some more examples of the "polished" look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIOR-SKIN.jpg (85.3 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg christian_dior04.jpg (77.1 KB, 468 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2005, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAir
Blur and noise with luminocity option is very good as a snapshot for a history brush. Using this tool with multiply and screen option, is possible to control all skin structure.
Sample of this technique: http://www.pbase.com/equinaut/image/53038185
That sounds interesting - could you explain a little more specific how you do that ... I'm not sure I get it 100% ;-)

/megl
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching