RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get highly polished skin?

Old 12-17-2005, 10:56 PM

retouch DVD

I just got a DVD on retouching, OH MY GOD....its the best thing since slice bread.
I cant believe I been spending all my money on books when the DVD was only 39.00
Its called

Photoshop CS
photoshop retouching secrets
By Scott Kelby

Its has about 22 techniques on it, from trimming love handles to skin.....
just wanted to share that
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvstyle
I just got a DVD on retouching, OH MY GOD....its the best thing since slice bread.
I cant believe I been spending all my money on books when the DVD was only 39.00
Its called

Photoshop CS
photoshop retouching secrets
By Scott Kelby

Its has about 22 techniques on it, from trimming love handles to skin.....
just wanted to share that
I saw that DVD and was thinking about getting it. My only question is what method do they teach to smoothing out and cleaning up the skin? Is it by blurring or is it dodge and burn or something else?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiCore
I saw that DVD and was thinking about getting it. My only question is what method do they teach to smoothing out and cleaning up the skin? Is it by blurring or is it dodge and burn or something else?
He uses clone and healing tool, he also uses the patch tool. Scott claims that fashion mags and advert use the blur tool also. And thats what he uses too.
Once he blurs the skin he brings the opacity down to like 40% so that u cant tell. But like he said there are several ways to smooth skin. He uses dodge and burn to correction photography flaws, like bad lighting and washed out skin/clothes
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 03:50 PM

I do not retouch photos but I would imagine that a good way to achieve such skin is among other things to create a new layer,set opacity to 40-50%, choose stamp tool, select "use all layers" and try to work with this. I usually achieve good results with that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stamp.jpg (55.8 KB, 492 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megl
That sounds interesting - could you explain a little more specific how you do that ... I'm not sure I get it 100% ;-)

/megl
First step is blur with high radius, about 15-20 px, and noise after with luminosity option, to avoid banding in gradients. After I make a snapshot, set history brush and go back to pre-blur state of the picture. Using this brush with multiply and screen option (like dodge and burn) is possible to make smooth and natural skin. Sometimes I use oversharped with luminosity also history state to get some more pores on skin. Applying brush in cross directions, is possible even to create structure, wich was not on original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2005, 01:11 AM

some thoughts...

I have not had a chance to try this out yet, but I have just read some good things about the lab mode idea---correcting, or blurring just the blue channel which supposedly contains the most imperfections of the skin. This is supposed to leave the texture intact... I have also heard some nice comments about using dust/scratches filter on a dup layer and adding a layer mask to pull the texture back through just to a lesser amount. A lot of what I can see on that website has to do with superb lighting and photography, which as we all know, is hard to compensate for in Ps. The skin looks luminous to the point where i think the highlights of the skin had to be airbrushed in painstakingly and enhanced in blend ing modes/layers. It is beautiful work. Let us know if you crack your co-worker! I am curious to the mystery as well....

-Kate
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2005, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomino
I have not had a chance to try this out yet, but I have just read some good things about the lab mode idea---correcting, or blurring just the blue channel which supposedly contains the most imperfections of the skin. This is supposed to leave the texture intact... I have also heard some nice comments about using dust/scratches filter on a dup layer and adding a layer mask to pull the texture back through just to a lesser amount. A lot of what I can see on that website has to do with superb lighting and photography, which as we all know, is hard to compensate for in Ps. The skin looks luminous to the point where i think the highlights of the skin had to be airbrushed in painstakingly and enhanced in blend ing modes/layers. It is beautiful work. Let us know if you crack your co-worker! I am curious to the mystery as well....

-Kate
You are right about the photography, a lot has to do with great lighting and also a big part has to do with the broncolor beauty dish that creates a even tone in the skin.
http://www.duroi.com/fashionforum/in...ames/read/8639

Also this photographer http://www.sarahsilver.com told me that she uses the broncolor beauty dish for her images. I was also told by a makeup artist that worked with her that she uses a lot photoshop also. This lady also teaches photography lessons. Im curious to know if she teaches her PS techniques.
Check out her site, especially her beauty section.
Also check out this guys site, hes a makeup artist out of Paris and Romania:
www.alexabagiu.com
I think this is the effect that shellby is trying a achieve, polish skin.
I also emailed him and he told me that he uses broncolor beauty dish, and lots of lighting to achieve his results, the photography on his site is superb, stunning.
If ppl dont know the beauty dish produces a very hard light source, but the skin tones come out very very even. And thats what your seeing in the links i posted
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2005, 10:45 PM

Cloning

I am a photographer an generally don't like retouching, but when I do want that smooth look this is what I do.

I don't use any blurring, I make a new layer, select the channels palette, make only the green channel visable (that way I am only working with light and dark, no color, just gets in the way), choose the clone stamp and set the tool opacity to 30%, set the clone stamp to sample all layers, and clone away. After the skin is smooth looking I make all the channels active and see the results. Sometimes it can look too painted so you just turn down the opacity of the layer or blend it to get the desired effect.

Hope this helps, would love to hear if this is what you where looking for.

Christopher

www.cmarcel.com

Last edited by CMP; 12-24-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2005, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP
...I make a new layer, select the channels palette, make only the green channel visable (that way I am only working with light and dark, no color, just gets in the way)...
You know CMP, you CAN turn on the visibility of the RGB channel while only cloning on the green channel, don't you? Have the green channel selected, then just click on the eye icon of the RGB channel. This way, whatever changes you make you'll be able to see how they affect the whole image in real time. No surprises.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2005, 03:12 PM

RE: Green Channel

I clone on all channels, not just green. I find that looking at all the color information at once gets confusing. If I only look at the green channel all I look at is light and dark. I have never had a problem with mismatched colors or anything like that. The lights and darks translate well once I turn on the visability of the rest of the channels.

Last edited by CMP; 12-25-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching