Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Orange Peel Skin Texture - How to get

Old 11-14-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks ray12 for your reply. I so think that we can do a tutorial on a technique like this someday.
Thanks ray12
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Ray, you might find this thread interesting.

There Stroker posted a method, using three layers of noise, which can give good results.
I doubled the size of the posted image, used Stroker's method and masked the final stage (pores).

If you are interested on 3D skin then this might interest you. [Warning: might raise some eyebrows at work ]

You could say that the 3D folk actually have it a bit easier. Correct skin texture modelling depends on lighting and relative angles which they can calculate while we have to imagine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image[1]-texture-byRo.jpg (96.8 KB, 787 views)

Last edited by byRo; 11-14-2005 at 12:01 PM. Reason: karnt spel rite
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the inputs - very helpful.

byRo - thanks for link - i think it takes us an additional step closer. The idea of doing a displacement map or an emboss on multiple layers of noise is great. The final image was pretty good.

cameraken - these 3d guys have really done their homework lately it seems. I wonder if they have some bump screens that we can use for glamour kinds of things. Could they create 2200x2200pix skin texture screens on a flat plane with their stuff?

Below is an example of one of the images I was working on. A couple. The goal was to enhance the image. Its not done yet - but here are 3 stages of development. Original, pasty, then with just a little skin texture borrowed from a celebrity hi res image i found - cheek texture only. Just FYI.

Keep the ideas coming - theyre really great.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg couple1.jpg (98.4 KB, 898 views)
File Type: jpg couple2.jpg (91.6 KB, 909 views)
File Type: jpg couple3.jpg (93.5 KB, 1119 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2005, 01:57 PM
You might also have some success blending in natural textures such as this pane of ice that I blended into the image. Natural textures are more "chaotic" than maps and noise and may add a bit more realism.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ice.jpg (80.4 KB, 996 views)
File Type: jpg D-couple2 copy.jpg (95.5 KB, 804 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2005, 02:14 PM
If possible, I wanted to use the woman's own features instead of importing or creating them. The goal was to blur the freckles and to emphasize the pores at the same time.

I created overlay-mode high-pass layers for radii 1,2,5,6 and 9 of the wonan's skin only, omitting the larger facial features. I then inverted the radii 5 and 6 layers and duplicated the radii 1 and 2. By adjusting layer opacities, I got rid of most of the imperfections.

I put all the high-pass layers in a group and added a mask to that group. I used it to mask out the nostrils and the jaw line because the technique tends to put halos around strong edges.

I worked on the rest of the imperfections with the usual 10% white and black brushes on a soft-light layer (alt-click on the new layer icon; select soft light mode and checkmark 50% grey; press d for default color, select the brush tool and press 1 for 10%; paint on this layer to darken; press x to switch to lighten mode).

I left some imperfections to show what the high-pass technique will NOT do. Notice the low-frequency freckles on the bridge of the nose and on top of the cheekbone under her right eye. Notice also the two freckles on the jaw line because edges were omitted. Lastly, notice the lines under her right eye (I
fixed some, but not all). Those lines are too long to be affected by the small-radius blurring. They have to be fixed with the soft-light layer.

I feel this technique is a good time/quality compromise between high-end retouching where you have to spend hours dodging and burning versus blurring everything and recreating texture.

P.S.: I have not seen this technique before. Surely it's not new?

Edit: I added the completed version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg couple1-panpan1.jpg (96.4 KB, 672 views)
File Type: jpg couple1-panpan2.jpg (99.7 KB, 853 views)

Last edited by Panpan; 11-14-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by maureeno
How do you create a neutral gray background, Creeduk? Do you then add a bump texture to that?

Maureen there is an option under edit>fill... to select 50% gray this is neutral gray and when set to overlay does not show up. this allows you to creat a dodge and burn layer with out effecting the original image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Duv, great idea on the texture. Nice example. Who would think of Ice? Thanks for the pattern - it works nicely.

Panpan - I never tried that - it produced some really nice looking pores on the cheek.

Heres an update: Im beginning to further refine the technique how to use skin textures from existing glamour models. It allows me to extract just the "Texture Only" from the models skin and to place it anywhere I want to - on my very flat overly-airbrushed looking skin.

I'll try to see if I can explain it more simply. Im now getting it down to a workflow kind of technique.

Heres how: I locate a model that has the skin texture im looking for. I make a selection of it and copy it. I look for a large area of even texture.

I paste that into my pasty looking picture on a new layer above where I want to use it and turn the blend mode of that layer to overlay. On that new layer I use the Hue-Saturation-Levels adjustment (control - U) to bring the saturation of the texture patch all the way down to black and white. Then I use the level control to bring the luminance of the patch down or up to exactly 128 gray (50% gray is the same). This is the perfect overlay color because now all that shows up is the "texture only". I use the "Color Sampler Tool" (Under the eyedropper in the toolbox to measure the level so its exactly 128 - otherwise the patch will not blend well). Voi-la! Now I have a repositionable texture only patch that I can use anywhere in my new image.

I usually end up putting a mask together with the texture so I can get nice smooth blended edges and I control its strength using the opacity slider.

Heres the great part - when im done using this texture patch to fix up the texture in the left cheek, I hit Duplicate Layer (Control - J) to get a new layer of the patch. I then slide this new layer over to the right cheek or forehead. I adjust the opacity for strength or I touch up my mask with a white or black brush to further blend in the texture. Each time I use the patch it has been refined from the step before it - so this second patch usually ends up requiring even less work to get it to look nice. Life is good.

Im still looking for texture screens or texture bumps - or especially - how to make them.

How are the 3D guys coming? Can anyone create a large plane of skin pore or forehead texture? There's got to be some kind of special math-matical formula out there somewhere!!!

Last edited by ray12; 11-15-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Have to laugh, today waiting in doctor's office, started perusing the mags on the table, mostly inspecting the skin textures on the ads, lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 08:48 AM
We are strange puppies!!! I do the same kind of thing at check-out lines.

Last edited by ray12; 11-15-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by ray12
How are the 3D guys coming? Can anyone create a large plane of skin pore or forehead texture? There's got to be some kind of special math-matical formula out there somewhere!!!

and thats just poser - couldnt find any Maya renders and I'm not at home right now.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching