Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Orange Peel Skin Texture - How to get

Old 11-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Panpan, your right. If there is original texture - no problem,

Sometimes I want to enhance the texture in a specific area. Sometimes as I explained in the starter thread, my smoothing efforts leave me with a flatter more pasty image than I would like. Im at an intermediate level - and I would like to advance in the craft to be able to do the more high end texture work.

There is also commercial demand for the "Enhanced Reality" or a "Fantasy" look - some people equate that look with some celebrity looks they have seen. Its above the ordinary look and people are saying they enjoy the polished look. One or two levels of polish makes people stand out from the crowd.

Im developing some techniques on my own to create this polished look - and this thread hopefully will give us all some ideas on how to get one or two steps beyond where we presently are. Im totally enjoying the expertise here.

Ray 12
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 03:59 AM
Klaatu, thank you very much for the 101 course. Is there going to be a test?

The criss-cross texture you mentioned really got my mind racing.
1) Make a nice diamond pattern;
2) Put in a bit of distortion, to look a bit more natural;
3) Size and wrap it around the face;
4) Mask for different regions of the face;
5) Mask for the shadow / highlight transition;
6) Add some blotches, freckles and spots (guess those are in Skin 201).

Can't wait to have a bash!

Uh Oh, Duv's coming to tell me to get some sand between the toes,
see you later...

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 06:34 AM
Here's a taste of painting uber 3d skin:
"Dr Julian's Texturing Tutorial" by Julian Jeremy Johnson-Mortimer.

A good thing about painting an old persons texture you don't have to be so neat and precise, I find the hardest texture to paint is a attractive female face.

Last edited by Stroker; 11-17-2005 at 06:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Stroker, this is exactly what ive been looking for. The link you gave above just had a great tutorial on Maya and Photoshop together to create facial texture.

Looks like I might have to look into working with maya some - its pretty involved - but im only after a part of it.

Below is the kind of facial map I was hoping somebody might have have created.

This one is pretty "ugly" because its a texture map of a really ugly and old geezer - dont have many retouch requests for that kind of subject --- but - - - maybe someone can create some nice high glamour maps for us in maya and share them here.

FYI - Posted is the original texture and color map and then a 50% texture map that is meant to be used in overlay mode in photoshop as examples. The eye lines are there - the forehead is the correct kind of texture pattern - and the cheeks are another correct kind of pattern. But be careful - the included potmarks, blemishes, veins and facial stubble on this one dont lend themselves easily to a high glam evaluation right off the bat.

I would want to make up some simple smooth ones with just the basic lines in them in a couple of densities and maybe 2 or 3 poses (straight, left and right). I could then use parts of those texture patterns to mask and blend into the photos I play with. Thanks Stroker.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg map1.jpg (99.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg map2.jpg (90.5 KB, 173 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Sorry for taking up so much bandwidth so often here - But this is getting fun.

I purchased a 3D face texture mask from one of the links off of Strokers post.

It is an 18x18 inch face with the correct textures for the whole face. Its big enough and clean enough to work on an 8x10.

Ill post a quick down and dirty test shot below.

I took the B+W 3D jpeg mask and placed it in a layer above my overly-smoothed image and placed the layer in overlay mode. I added a black mask to the overlay layer and painted in "just" the texture areas that I wanted with a white brush. I was able to control the shape and extent of the textures by painting with a low opacity brush and by rotating the mask with free transform. Once I did one eye - I duplicated the mask and did the same for the other eye - that way I get total control. The cheeks came in pretty much OK by themselves. I did a bit of toning and I was done. I left it a bit overdone so it shows up better here.

This will be great for the times when I have to oversmooth the skin textures and colors and yet still want to get a shot that looks like i didnt use any of that unprofessional blurring stuff that the so called amateurs use!!

There are 11 ways to skin a cat in photoshop - so there are many other great ideas out there to get great looking retouches.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pasty.jpg (62.2 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg textured.jpg (72.8 KB, 539 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Maya may not be the way to go, it is a hard system to get to grips with (have used it on and off) but for glamour there is far more contenet available for a program called poser. Many skins especially faces and makeup have been done for poser, just google for the content you will be amazed how much is out there and many for free.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2005, 01:54 PM

yes!... Poser can be a good option for real 3d skin. In this example the realism is total (skin with pores) and good look!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Message173422.jpg (54.7 KB, 307 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2005, 12:14 PM
A good site with skin retouch. Very very good!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Don't want to make any advertisments, but there's a Software at called Daz-Studio. It's a very nice Programm to start with Poser stuff. And it's free.
Look here..

mfG. scsi
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by creeduk
Maureen there is an option under edit>fill... to select 50% gray this is neutral gray and when set to overlay does not show up. this allows you to creat a dodge and burn layer with out effecting the original image.

Also, if you option click the new layer icon at the bottom of the layer palette, it will come up with the dialog box that allows you to name, select whatever blend mode, and the check box for filling with a neutral grey all at the same time.
This also works for adjustment layers(with no neutral fill).

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching