RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Orange Peel Skin Texture - How to get

Old 11-20-2005, 12:51 AM

That looks great Ray! I will have to look into those texture maps. I wonder if they have them for different age ranges as the pore size tends to enlarge with age.

Very interesting stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2005, 12:14 PM

I made up a re-usable texture template from the basic 3D skin texture.

You can get the size of the pores to get bigger by using the image transform or the warp tools.

If you use a black mask with your skin texture layer - you can take your white pen and control the amount of the texture, the exact position and extent of the texture area and the overall density of each area of texture. So, If you need larger pores - just scale the layer up a little bit until it looks like what you want to see.

It seems like this new skin texture method im experimenting with- visually pulls the image together and adds its own kind of smoothness blend to the final image. Its almost like applying a final coat of makeup or fixative to the image - all the blends end up looking smoother with just a little bit of texture added to them. When I add the final texture screen - another level of transformation seems to take place.

Ray12

Last edited by ray12; 11-21-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2005, 12:27 PM

The Perils Of Thread-Skimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray12
If you use a black mask with your skin texture layer - you can take your white pen and control the amount, the exact position and the overall density of each area of texture.
Hmmm... this sounds vaguely familiar. Now, where did we hear that before?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2005, 01:56 PM

Hi Klaatu, I acknowledge you are certainly way ahead of me in this skin area- especially the 101 thread! That was awsome. Thanks.

As I re-read some of the stuff you shared - and while I was focused on chasing 3d texture ideas around - I see you did share some great stuff. I havent been doing noise and emboss techniques so it didnt dawn on me that you had shared several masking steps also. Ive been using masks for years to control images - its a common technique - BUT - never so much as in this new area of delicate texture control. Masks are ending up being so essential to the end result - and the process of getting there.

Yes i think you are right. It does seem that you did share a great masking technique first. Thank you!

I think whats important is that to get this very modern brushed or textured look - one needs to be using selective masking. Its where the artistry of the technique lies. Without it - you cant easily, or predictably, get the control to get the look. Anyone who wants the look - is probably going to have to use the black mask, white pen, overlay, texture routine. Thanks for sharing.

Your posts are definately worth a re-read - good stuff.

Last edited by ray12; 11-29-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrasky
Thks for your reply Shellby. Yes shellby everyone know how do it but anyone can make it. The dior image doesn't seem to have a lot of detail , but for the makeup industry is good. In this image, the reallism is total and pores.
Anyone know how do it?
I don't think it looks realistic at all. Skin pores aren't all the same size and evenly spaced like in that image. It just doesn't look right for some reason. Don't get me wrong, it's done well and you can tell there has been a copious amount of time put into the image - but it's just not realistic.

I always retouch on separate layers, merge them then drop the opacity over the original images (minus blemishes of course!). This ensures the subject's natural skin characteristics comes through in the retouch. Anything beyond that is bordering on the edge of a "fantasy makeover" in my opinion.

Below is an example of a reasonably quick retouch from some time ago. I haven't touched my camera for over 6 months and now I've pretty much forgotten my retouching workflow. Time to find a new process!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~craighi...ch_example.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2005, 10:33 AM

Lightbulb Orange Peel Skin Texture - How to get

to ray12.

to get orange peel skin texture,in the photoshop cs/cs2 go to toolbar-click image and open Adjustments ,click on photo filter chose the orange color ( CLICK THE ARROW DOWN AN CHOOSE THE COLOR YOU WANT) a very easy step.

sarbeka
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2005, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbeka
to ray12.

to get orange peel skin texture,in the photoshop cs/cs2 go to toolbar-click image and open Adjustments ,click on photo filter chose the orange color ( CLICK THE ARROW DOWN AN CHOOSE THE COLOR YOU WANT) a very easy step.

sarbeka
¿?... I DONT KNOW IT!!!!!!!!

Last edited by superfrasky; 11-28-2005 at 10:01 AM. Reason: a very easy step and for a larger thread....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbeka
to ray12.

sarbeka
As far as I know Photo Filters might be able to give your skin the color of an orange (which I don't think we want) and doesn't have the ability to add or provide texture. ???

Cheers

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2005, 05:03 PM

Photo filters in photoshop

Photo filters in photoshop are there to emulate the traditional photo filters that you actually fit onto the front of the camera lens of a SLR camera. They alter the colour eg a Warm up filters and Cooling filters (orange and blue)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 12:35 AM

Im finding that these orange/brown/gold colors for me are coming from the overlay process itself. No color correction is necessary.

What ive been doing lately is taking a black layer above my main image - then I paint on white blotches under the eyes where I want a highlighted skin look - and on the chin - or shoulder - or on the cheeks to emulate a kicker light. These white splotches can be hard brused on - because - I have been applying gaussian blur to the splotch layer and adjusting it so that the slpotches have a nice smooth gradation from white to black. These white patches provide the brightened highlights in the skin area - and since they are smoothed - they blend in very nicely. They almost look like a photographers lighting effect. I like the etherial and polished look it gives.

But here is the other part - when I overlay this layer (or soft light blend it) - the whites produce the highlights - and the black area of the background browns out the shadows - makes them deep and ruddy - makes them brown and accented. It actually creates that red/gold/brown color you see in the Dior pictures. Of course, you can adjust its depth and color with opacity, or better yet, create a mask and paint on this really great looking skin shadow color exactly where you want it - and adjust your pen opacity.

Im getting quite satisfied with the use of existing skin textures from hi-res models pictures - or the realistic 3D textures im finding. With this new (for me) black and white overlay layer - im able to get the great highlights and the dark ruddy skin shadows I see in Dior pictures. The overly smooth skin is initially produced using the new surface blur in CS2 (5 times smoother than median). And when I add on the texture layer at the last step - its almost like it pulls it all together.

Still learning - anyone have some nice copy permitted glam type pictures we can practice on in the forum without infringing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching