RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Orange Peel Skin Texture - How to get

Old 11-29-2005, 07:48 AM

A good site about glamour and fashion retouch, and with sample about workflow

http://www.onemodelplace.com/newslet...ticle7_pg2.cfm
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2005, 03:44 AM

Here is a quick example of smooth blending with a soft texture. Its from another part of the forum. I used textures to keep from getting an overly smoothed "pasty" look.

I used "surface blur" to smooth out the skin.

Then added a "Soft Light" layer above the main image with blurred black and white areas to get the dark cheeks and the highlights.

Then added in some skin texture from a "Soft Light layer" that had a skin texture map on it. Blended this texture into the image using a mask.

Attached are examples of what the skin texture patches look like - and how to use them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patch examples.jpg (94.9 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg becky12BFA5372.jpg (99.6 KB, 390 views)

Last edited by ray12; 01-12-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meok
This is a very interesting tread. I always felt that to get good (natural) texture you have to start with a file with decently good texture to start with. Introducing pores where there was none can affect the balance of the image. The lack of pores can often indicate that the area is out of focus, thus adding texture can make it look "off" from its surrounding and therefore, will not create an homogeneous result.

When I have an original file with decent skin texture, I usually retouch at the pore level by dodging, burning and cloning until I get an uniform texture. To emphasize them, I usually do some blending of the weak plate.Thats the technique I used for this: http://byloc.com/minifolio/page2/page2.html It is pretty time-consuming technique tho, so Im sure some the pro retouchers here have a more efficient way.
Very good retouch, could you explain it more detailed,.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2006, 02:54 PM

agreed--would like to hear more

the retouch posted by meok is excellent, and I too would like to know more about the method used. very subtle.

-Kate
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2006, 05:37 PM

Hi Guys,
If I remember correctly, it was technically pretty simple. I started with a global color correction, then used the healing tool to fix up the most obvious skin defect, then added a 50% grey layer on softlight. On it, I used the burn and dodge tool to do some more work on the skin. Then I pushed and pulled some feature of her face (the most discreetly possible). I finished with blending some of the channels to get a little better detail in the skin and hair. Thats pretty much it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2006, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meok
Hi Guys,
If I remember correctly, it was technically pretty simple. I started with a global color correction, then used the healing tool to fix up the most obvious skin defect, then added a 50% grey layer on softlight. On it, I used the burn and dodge tool to do some more work on the skin. Then I pushed and pulled some feature of her face (the most discreetly possible). I finished with blending some of the channels to get a little better detail in the skin and hair. Thats pretty much it.
How do you exactly blend channels?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2006, 09:35 AM

Jeronimas,
Blending channel is the process of modify the density of any perticular channel. It is commonly used to emplify low-contrast texture, reajust tonalities, fix certain color casts and is also great for fine-tuning masks. The Photoshop command to blend the channels is "Apply Image" and "calculations", both found in the "image" drop down menu. You can also use the channel mixer, which is a dumb-down version of those tools.

For more info on blending channels, I highly recommend Dan Margulis' "Professsional Photoshop" and "Photoshop LAB color". Also "Photoshop Channel Chops" which is also a great book to learn from. (altho, be ready to pay a pretty penny for it as it is a very rare and prised book.

hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2006, 02:14 PM

This is my try

http://img418.imageshack.us/img418/2...delcopy0gt.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2006, 06:17 PM

My try

Hi,
I've been following it for quite a while, and applying what is been discussed here to achieve this look...
My dificulty is the same as many here: get a nice skin texture.
Another one is make the face tone even (forehead has a diferent color tone than cheek, nose, etc...) tones may vary to redish and yellowish.... How can I make it even, chosing a certain color on the face using eyedroper? I mean, lets say I want to color cheeks and nose using forehead color... But I want to alter only the undesired color (I want to keep the colors of shadows, highlights and areas that already look ok), no more, no less... anyone??

Here is my try ( I dont know if texture is visible due file size is limited to 100K).
Thanks

Ricardo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dior_skin.jpg (96.0 KB, 332 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 PM

Another solution

You'll have to do lot's of cloning first, to make skin looks perfect, then
Dan Margulis, and his channel mixing technique
(Loreal retouchers will never share their secrets)
This guy still amazes me, i was in his studio ones
www.akosphotography.com

Here's my result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beauty.jpg (42.1 KB, 405 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching