RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Orange Peel Skin Texture - How to get

Old 01-19-2006, 11:13 PM

Ricardo,

Nice Job! Well Done!!

There is a fairly easy way to even out the color without affecting the highlights or shadows too much and still have good control. That way is to paint on a transparent color. Color information only - not the luminance part of the brush.

Heres how: Choose a fairly soft medium size brush. Press the "alt" key and click on the color you want to use from the forehead - this will pick up whatever color is under the brush tip at the time. Go to the brush options bar and change the brush from Normal to Color Mode. This will now paint just with the chroma value of the color. Now paint only where you want the color to go (the cheeks and nose in your case). If you also make the brush 4-10% opacity - it will go on real smooth and will require a couple of strokes to bring it up to full color strength - you get great control and real smooth blending at these 4% to 20% brush opacities. Try painting at 100% opacity and it will look terrible.

If you are really into good control - put this painting on a blank layer above your image and paint on that layer.

Later on you can use the Hue/Saturation /Brightness control to alter its color to almost anything you want. If the edges look a little sharp where you painted - put some gaussian blur on the layer to smooth it out. You can also control the level of the applied color to whatever you like using the layers opacity slider. This lets you see the color at all kinds of various densities.

Below are some examples. Image 1 is your Dior example. Image 2 is the image with the smooth color technique applied. Image 3 is a darkened look that a lot of people seem to like these days. Youre right - the 100k jpeg file limit does reduce the quality of the images some.

Doin' Good!

Ray12
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4some.jpg (86.3 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by ray12; 01-19-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2006, 06:11 AM

Thanks!

Ray:

Thanks for the tips! I will try that later on... Hows your tut going? Will it come to an end soon? We are looking forward it!!

Alehandro:

I think you just nailed it! The reflectance on skin (tiny specular highlights oposed to tiny dots of real skin color) is (for me) the desired effect... Coul you please explain in detail and (if you dont mind) post the original photo, before your retouching??

Thanks both again!!

Ricardo
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2006, 09:41 AM

Try This

Lot's of cloning and then, manipulation with LAB and RGB
First, duplicate original image and create two different documents one LAB other GRAYSCALE In original RGB you take two "strong" channels (for details on skin) it's GREEN and BLUE
copy and paste them into a GRAYSCALE document(where you may delete background layer), creating two layers, then paste
LIGHTNESS channel out of LAB doc. into GRAYSCALE doc. Now you got 3 layers
GREEN, BLUE and LIGHTNESS (leave Lightness untouched at the bottom)
Change opacity of Gr. and Bl, to get the desired skin pores, erase the rest of the face (if necessary) leaving skin only in this Gr. and Bl layers, then flatten image, then paste that grayscale into
original LAB documents LIGHTNESS cannel. It will take some time to practice and may not take care of the problem, everything depends on the original image
As a photographer myself, i shoot both digital and film, and when you use KODAK
EPR 64 film with Mamiya RZ and then drum-scan with Imacon, it's incompatible with snapshots that i take sometimes with my Cannon 20d
Sorry guys, but when we see covers of Vogue, Elle, itd. it wasn't shot with one time use point and shoot camera and model didn't do her own makeup . Sometimes the cost of this kind of shoot goes up to 100 thou
Thank you, everybody, great ideas, i'm not sure about 3d though, i think thats pushing it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beauty_00.jpg (44.3 KB, 255 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2006, 11:53 AM

Thanks so much for that, Alehandro!

Im trying with that image you posted (of course is a lower resolution image, and should not get the same results as a bigger file), but the final result brings me a darker image than you ended up with.

Theres a part Im getting trouble:

"Change opacity of Gr. and Bl, to get the desired skin pores, erase the rest of the face (if necessary) leaving skin only in this Gr. and Bl layers, then flatten image, then paste that grayscale into"

I slide both opacities (Green and blue) but it doesnt seem to reveal me more or less pores...

And what should I erase? Eyes, lips hair and foreground?

Anyone else sorted that out?

Thks!

Ricardo
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2006, 12:57 PM

Hey Ricardo, I'm sorry, i made a lil mistake, you have to put Lightness image on top of Bl and Gr. (try to fined out that balance with opacity between Bl and Gr) then when you merge em together it looks a lil darker then "Li", so what you do is, you curve that merged layer a lil, to make it more less look like "Li" layer, but with more details in skin texture, then you just erase those parts of skin on the "Li" layer that you need, then merge and paste the result into original "Li" of your LAB
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2006, 02:32 PM

Thanks one more time for your attention alehandro!!

Forgive my ignorance, but I am not finding a way to reveal the pores nicely as you did... I can find some extra contrast (showing the pores) but only blending blue n green channels. The very last part, Im not getting it (lightness on top layer, then erasin or masking other parts but skin). Doesnt seem to improve what I already got blending the two channels (G and B) and then ajust it (using curves) to approximatelly match the "lightness" layer tone...
I dont want to take your time, explaining something you already did (my ignorance is not your fault).
Do you know where I can study the subject (is that the Dan Margulis technique?) more deeply? maybe my doubts will be fullfilled...
Im searching under his name (lots of stuff) but coundnt find yet this very same subject (skin - channels - lab mode,etc)

Ricardo
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2006, 09:14 PM

i thought i'd take a shot at alehandro's picture -- just curious if i'm achieving a good look -- this is a combination of many techniques, and i'm just learning.

MOM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beautyMOM.jpg (81.2 KB, 347 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2006, 11:18 AM

Hey Ricardo, i wish i could FTP to you that pdf file with Dan Margulis "Professional Photoshop.The Classic Guide To Color Correction", with over 400 pages of useful stuff, but unfortunately it's in russian, i think you can order that book at Amazon or Barns & Nobel. Or here is another solution, go to www.edonkey.com , download their software, install it, then search
for any "Dan Margulis" with "any" format selected, i see they got 3 kinds of pdf's now online, it's about 42-58 mg.
Here's a li sample of what i have in english
Nice job MOM keep up the good work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharpen_01.jpg (99.8 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg Sharpen_02.jpg (91.2 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Sharpen_03.jpg (96.3 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg Sharpen_04.jpg (91.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Sharpen_05.jpg (96.6 KB, 161 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeovermagic
i thought i'd take a shot at alehandro's picture -- just curious if i'm achieving a good look -- this is a combination of many techniques, and i'm just learning. MOM
Skin looks nice, but you have smoothed out the lips, eyes and eyebrows. They're no longer sharp. You didn't use a layer mask I'm assuming?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 05:07 PM

Craig,

Thanks for the feedback -- I did use a layer mask, but I left the opacity too high.

MOM

P.S. Thanks Alehandro for the nice comment and also for the articles; they are very informative.

Last edited by makeovermagic; 01-24-2006 at 05:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching