RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

bronzing skin tones

Old 11-22-2005, 04:58 AM

bronzing skin tones

I am trying to change the skin tone to bronzing like colors. does anyone have any idea how to do that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 11:15 AM

A sample would make it easier to suggest an approach.

Rule of thumb: generic caucasian skin tones usually have approximately equal magenta and yellow with about one-fifth the cyan. Yellow can be a little higher but some situations call for a pinker tone.

Bronze tones, or highly tanned skin, has both a higher proportion of cyan and yellow compared to magenta. Don't just add yellow with Levels or Color Balance because this will effect the whole tonal range equally. You often find that the effect is most pronounced in the midtones and three-quarter tones. A curve will allow you to add tone to the darker regions without sending your highlights off the grid.

The tones you're talking about share a lot in common with gold. Gold isn't red, blue, green, yellow blue or brown, but a slight deviation in one or more channels can send it into those unwanted hues. It's a tricky balance and there's no single formula.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2005, 12:24 PM

a bronze tone. hmmm. balance. i tried doing it. nearly took me 4 hrs.

but what you mentioned is in CMYK right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (42.1 KB, 155 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo
a bronze tone. hmmm. balance. i tried doing it. nearly took me 4 hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo
a bronze tone. hmmm. balance. I tried doing it. nearly took me 4 hrs.

The numbers, yes. I often set one of my Info readouts to CMYK even if I'm in LAB or RGB. Maybe it's because the numbers are in percentages of 100, rather than 256, it's easier to think of the proportions of one channel to the other. Because shadow detail is siphoned off into the Black channel, the C, M, and Y, values are primarily in the areas where color is most crucial. If my skin tones are too hot, I automatically think in terms of a deficient Cyan plate, even if I'm in RGB. Selective color allows me to add Cyan anyway, and for the most part, the RGB curves can be treated as though they were CMY curves.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgework
The numbers, yes. I often set one of my Info readouts to CMYK even if I'm in LAB or RGB. Maybe it's because the numbers are in percentages of 100, rather than 256, it's easier to think of the proportions of one channel to the other. Because shadow detail is siphoned off into the Black channel, the C, M, and Y, values are primarily in the areas where color is most crucial. If my skin tones are too hot, I automatically think in terms of a deficient Cyan plate, even if I'm in RGB. Selective color allows me to add Cyan anyway, and for the most part, the RGB curves can be treated as though they were CMY curves.
Oh. most of your color adjustment done in SELECTIVE COLOR? I was wondering do I really have to change to CMYK just to adjust.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2005, 07:34 AM

I realised 1 thing. As a photographer, most of our kind think in RGB. rather than CMYK or LAB. I guess I have to start thinking out of my box.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2014, 04:09 AM

Re: bronzing skin tones

Hi Tetsuo,

You can see this image for what I did sometime ago while attempting "Dragan effect" The skin tone was changes to golden in this one. Please refer to my thread http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...an-effect.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2014, 03:42 PM

@suryapuranik: Very nice, thanks for the tip. It is one of those "How I did not think of this"
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2014, 10:43 PM

Want the color? Match the tones. Easiest way is first to introduce the blue channel as the lighting on the skin, and there are so many ways of doing so, form apply image, to selecting the channel, and setting the layer to luminosity, to simply using channel mixer and setting blending mode to luminosity... Anyway, then you mask out the layer to only affect skin.
You need to do a lot of dodge and burn on top/underneath of that to insure that mid tones go dark, while leaving the shadows open.

You also need to go into curves and using the same mask adjust the color.

Sounds complicated, but once you get a hang of it, it's one of the simplest "looks" to achieve.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2014, 03:24 AM

Thanks Aladdin But the drawback of this technique is that you can only use it on the old people's portrait which has got lot of texture. Can't imaging applying it on a smooth skinned model
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching