RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

subtle, smooth burn and dodge on skin

Old 12-31-2005, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlo
Edgework I have tried your suggestion. I create a new layer in Luminosity blending mode and "meger down" to the softlight (overlay or DB tool ) layer. I must do something wrong, it doesn't stop colour shift.
I use blurred Soft Light layers a lot, which always seem to push everything to red. I like the softening effect but want to avoid the color shift. So I copy merged to a new layer. Then I turn OFF the original Soft Light layer and put the new merged layer in Luminosity mode.

The same could be accomplished with Overlay layers, whether you use one or two layers for the effect. Simply merge everything to a new layer, turn ALL the original dodge/burn layers OFF, and put the new merged layer in luminosity mode. Overlay uses Screen and Multiply in its calculations so there will be a hue shift. Using this trick will eliminate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2005, 08:26 PM

Question:

Im not doing well with the luminosity trick.

Whenever I I use the luminosity mode I loose the transparency of the corrections and I get a white or black haze all over the picture.

I used to use overlay because I could get see thru lightening and darkening - but then I went to Soft Light to avoid the slight color shift that overlay created - but this luminosity thing isnt working for me.

What might I be forgetting???

Luminosity is not transparent like Soft Light and if I paint on a blank layer - or on a gray layer - then I get the black or white pen color instead of the darkening of the original pixels.

Thanks for any procedural clairifications you can make.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray12
Question:

Im not doing well with the luminosity trick.

Whenever I I use the luminosity mode I loose the transparency of the corrections and I get a white or black haze all over the picture.

I used to use overlay because I could get see thru lightening and darkening - but then I went to Soft Light to avoid the slight color shift that overlay created - but this luminosity thing isnt working for me.

What might I be forgetting???
Sounds like you're applying your white and black (or light and dark tones, if you're using color) in a transparent layer in Overlay mode for your Dodge/Burn effects. That works fine; no real need to first fill the Overlay layer with 50% gray.

But if you're getting white and black haze, the only thing I can think of is you are turning that transparent layer from Overlay to Luminosity. What I suggested is that you leave your Overlay layer as is, since it's doing what you want it to do (with the exception of shifting your colors somewhat), but merge all your layers to a new layer. If you have CS2 you simply have to hold down the Option key when you select Merge Visible from the Layer palette options. CS and 7 (I think this works in 7) you need to create a transparent layer first and make that your active layer, then, hold down the Option key while you select Merge Visible.

If you then turn off your Dodge/Burn layer, and put your new copy merged layer in Luminosity mode, you will reap the benefits I promised. Really.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2006, 10:15 AM

After trying out half a dozen B&D techniques, my favourite way of burning and dodging skin at the moment is to work on the green or blue channel directly on a duplicate layer set to luminosity, instead of using overlay layer on RGB image. I know other methods work well too, this method is working for me particularly well. I can now easily get a polish skin look by applying a S-curve to either green or blue channel, bumping up the highlights and then do some burning and dodging...no colour shift. Whether i use green or blue or both channels depending on the individual images and the effect i am trying to achieve. Usually blue channel shows most of the skin imperfections with lots of noises but it can be good for popping up the skin shininess.

Last edited by singlo; 01-07-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching