RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

subtle, smooth burn and dodge on skin

Old 12-06-2005, 09:30 AM

subtle, smooth burn and dodge on skin

Hi, I am new here. I need some expert advice here.
I am a photographer learning to do beauty retouching. Currently I don't use dodge and burn tools for colour portraits in PS. Instead I create a new layer with overlay blendling mode and with the 50% neutral Grey check box. I paint across the model face with a soft paint brush (also airbush) tool with black (D)or white(X). Now I find it difficult to get a very smooth, gradual transition in skin tone across large areas being lightened or darkened. I try this technique with both graphic tablet and mouse pad. The only control of I have is to lower the opacity of the duplicated layer if the transition between burn (or dodge ) and untouched areas look too artificial or too "blotchy or patchy ".

I have also tried blending mode to Colur Burn or Colour Dodge using Dodge and Burn tools..but I am not happy with the subtlety of the results. Please advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 09:34 AM

Hello there,

have you tried using very low settings (approx. 15% each) on the Opacity and Flow settings of your brush? You'll need more strokes but you get finer control.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 09:42 AM

When I use a 50% grey overlay for dodging and burning, I usually start with a large very soft brush and an opacity of approx 4-5%, brush opacity that is, not layer opacity
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 09:59 AM

dodge and burn technique

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...ghlight=heyrad

Hello

The link above is a great thread that includes the technique you are talking about. Have a read through. I have only been using this method and it is much better than using blur.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Hi singlo,

Welcome to RP!

Like you I rarely use 'Dodge' and 'Burn' Tools but rather go for Overlay, Soft Light, Lighten or Darken Layers .... The only difference is that I don't even fill the Layers with 50% grey, but leave them 'blank' and simply paint on them with very soft and very low Opacity (5-10%) black, white, or 'sampled colour' brushes... (I described this technique in this tutorial.. If the result is still not satisfying or the transition isn't as smooth as you'd like it to be, ... try to blur your Overlay (etc.) Layer and just play with the layer's opacity ....

Hope this helps ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 10:57 AM

The best method to total control is heyrad technique. I am with you shellby.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 11:16 AM

Thank you all of you for the quick responses. I am so pleased to find this forum by accident .

Now i know the problems were..i was using 30% brush opacity and 50% flow rate which were too high . I have just tried 5%-10% brush opacity, it is good for subtle work. 15% flow rate and opacity are also good for larger areas. Thanks for the tips. now .

I will print out Heyrad technique..at the moment his technique seems a bit overwhelmingly complicated for me to digest...

Flora, thanks for the tips about blurring the Overlay layer.. I will check out your tutorial learning how to sample colour with brushes.
Thanks again.

Last edited by singlo; 12-06-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 04:37 PM

After studying Heyrad's post several times, I have managed to get his "lighten-darken-desat-contrast" curves layer set working now. I am still struggling a bit to master his technique...this is something really advanced for me . Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 06:13 PM

Dodge and Burn

Don't worry just keep at it. It will come. I only use that method now. Also I find that you can use the 50% gray softlight layer and use white or black to dodge and burn - opacity of the brush can be from 2% to 10%

I have also used the curves method, but I ended up going back to the softlight method. Same thing really but my mac seemed to handle the gray softlight one better. The other one made my mac lag and I couldn't see the result right away - I had to wait a bit to see the difference and this was annoying. I have almost a gig of ram, but perhaps I should get more!

Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 06:37 PM

some comments

I just started an intensive program with my friend who is a professional photographer to enhance my photoshop skills. I have not tried the method discussed above, so I cannot comment about it.

I was told to stay away from the automatic dodge and buring tools.

I have had some good results using quick mask on the main focus of the photo and inverting it. I then adjusted the background with a filter blur of 250 and histogram adjustments.

I just started doing this within the past two weeks, so my comments are very limited. My friend said that he has not had a need for using curves. I guess that PS has many ways of accomplishing things. I'll comment more in the future when I have developed more experience.

Alan
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching