RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Overdoing - but for the hell of it ...

Old 12-16-2005, 10:05 AM

Overdoing - but for the hell of it ...

Hi all !

Been a while since last, but you know - "better late than never" ...

Okay, this is classed as superflous and overdoing ( as in not really needed at all ), but - well, you know.
Got this image that's planned for a makeup commercial ( website and print ) and it's perfectly okay and approved as is right now. But still, I got this "vision" I'd like to realise just to see what difference it would make and if it would improve the feel of the image.
I'd like to add an effect similar to a shot taken with a "soft focus" in such a way that it will make her kind of glow. Hard one to get right since she's allready shot against a white background, and what I want is not just a simple over-exposure radiance, but a very subtle glow from behind her in her own skintone(s). Know what I mean ?
I've tried some various blur filters on an underlaying and slightly sized up layer and different blend modes, but I can't seem to get the right feel coming through.
As said, it's not really a needed effect, but if someone know a working techinique it would be nice to learn about it if you'd care to try your hand at it.
Of course, if you would come up with another idea/solution that could do the trick, then by all means - please go ahead.

Can't give a hi-res out due to copyright, but there's a slightly larger and less compressed image on my website in the Photo Retouch section at:

http://www.jiger.org

Thanks in advance !

-- Jiger --
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FitnessCopy.jpg (81.9 KB, 141 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 11:31 AM

Hi Jiger,

Don't know what you are looking for but here are two things to play with:

Dup base image. Median - used 9 on your image.
Dup base again. Place above Median layer. Set mode to overlay. Filter->Other->High pass. Used 7.3. Brings back texture.
This will pop highlights without changing mid and shadow. Group into set, play with opacity.

Dup base image. Gaussian blur. Used 9.5 on your image.
Set mode to overlay or softlight. Try both.

On dup layer bring up Layer styles. Blend if - This Layer. Split shadow sliders (hold down Alt key and move right shadow slider to the right). Move to about 130. This removes the shadows and some midtones from the effect. Look at this layer by itselt and you will see what I mean - the holes for the shadows and mids that let the base layer show through. No need to mask eyes, lips, hair, etc.

Now the saturation is too high and the colors look distorted - you won't like it at this point. Use a Hue/Sat adjustment on the blured layer and reduce the saturation until it is back to where you want it.

Play with opacity if the effect seems a little too much. Try different amounts of blur, median, and High pass to see their effect.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 12:01 PM

Hi Larry !

>
>On dup layer bring up Layer styles. Blend if - This Layer. Split shadow...
>
Of course - the "Blend if". Da--, I always forget that one....

>
>Don't know what you are looking for ...
>
Well, that's really part of the problem, cause I'm not really sure either ..
And as said - it's allready approved so no real need to "improve" on it.
Just kind of a fling to throw this one in on The Forum and see what comes up of suggestions if/when others approach it.
And - your suggestion no 2 looks real interesting.
Will try that.

Thanks a lot, Larry !
I really do appreciate your effort.

-- Jiger --
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I'd like to add an effect similar to a shot taken with a "soft focus" in such a way that it will make her kind of glow. Hard one to get right since she's allready shot against a white background, and what I want is not just a simple over-exposure radiance, but a very subtle glow from behind her in her own skintone(s). Know what I mean ?
nope. dont know what you mean. since her skin tone is not white, i'm not sure why the white background would be a problem. also, what kind of glow are you after. there's all sorts of glows one could effect, so a little more clarification here would be helpful. also, do you want her to glow or just from the background. there's a difference. do you want the glow emanting FROM her or from BEHIND her? how subtle do you want? how large shld the glow extend? you said a soft focus sort of glow, so i'm assuming you dont want a radiant beam type. so, do you want it regular and symmetrical or asymmetrical. do you want it around the hair or just the face?

like i said, there's lots of ways to make a glow. you could use patterns or textures or illuminations/lights or blank raster layers with paint brush and blending or gradient fills and so on. do you want the skin tone a constant hue or varying?

so, cough it up. explain this a bit more

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 12:38 AM

Not quite sure what you are looking for either, however is this along the lines of what you are looking for?

This was achieved by gaussian blurring at a level of 10 on a duplicate layer then applying in screen blending mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FitnessCopy copy.jpg (77.8 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 03:51 AM

Hi !

Craellin:
>
>...so a little more clarification here would be helpful...
>
I perfectly understand your pov, Craig. And you're right - my description is fuzzy, to say the least.
Generally, the idea was, as you're correctly assuming, not to be the radiant beam type. I was thinking more in the ways of "aura", just about noticeable, not extending so far as to take dominance and from behind her.

But Larry came up with a nice idea I'm going to try and yesterday evening a collegue came up with another, after two - or was it the third ..? - screw drivers.
Anyways, I'm very happy you involved in this, but it's not all that important. It's more my curiosity for experimenting taking voice.

Cassidy:

Thank you very much for your contribution! I appreciate it.
This is one of the things I initially tried out myself and though useful as such, and as modified variants, it's not really what I was going for.
You see, although you've got a very nice effect there it's blurring out the skin texture too much and preserving the texture left after my initial "correction" is important. It may be hard to see any of it in the small, screen res image, but it's there in the print res image.

Still, thanks a lot all for getting involved in this "fuzzy" thing here.

-- Jiger --
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 04:00 AM

Ok Jiger, how about this then, a little less etherial using the last pic as a luminosity layer of 30%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FitnessCopy copy2.jpg (90.2 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Cassidy; 12-17-2005 at 04:10 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 07:11 AM

Thinking about the 'aura' bit. Hmm selected the white and inverted copy to new layer, heavy gaussian blur (27), set blending to luminosity and drop the opacity to 22%, erase all areas from the blur layer other than the outer edges. Conversly the same could be done with the white background, but I found it made it look feathered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FitnessCopy2 copy.jpg (86.7 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 07:20 AM

Had a couple fo goes at this, but as you say - a pure white background is a problem for the effect you're looking for.
The first is the original gaussian blurred at 10px, overlayed, the original 20% luminosity and the original again at 100% color.
The second is the original blurred at 5px and set to lighten, with a bit of masking in detail areas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glow.jpg (91.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg glow2.jpg (92.9 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 07:32 AM

Like the 2nd one there Nancy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching