RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

eye, hair colour change

Old 01-07-2006, 04:30 AM

eye, hair colour change

Hello, been doing little work on an image that someone wants to use for ID at social club, nothing special with image and i ma doing it to practise skills.

Although i have done some work i would like to change hair (darker) and eye colour to ligh brown.

I am using Gimp but would like to know if any has any tips?

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me in hall 05.jpg (40.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Me in hall 05-younger-01.jpg (41.3 KB, 109 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 10:05 AM

I had 5 mins to change hair and eye colour, I used psp to change hair and eye's ..

Barry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Changed.jpg (63.5 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry_uk
I had 5 mins to change hair and eye colour, I used psp to change hair and eye's ..

Barry.

Any tips on how you did the eyes?

Was looking to get hair to brown, even black in colour.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 03:47 PM

Carpman to do the eyes what I did was to make a copy of the photo and make it B&W I then enhanced the contrast to make it slightly lighter, I then used the freehand tool to copy paste each eye to the coloured photo, Then added colour to the eyes using Hue saturation lightnes, Job done.. I did try the red eye tool to add colour but couldn't get it right.

Hope this helps..

Barry..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 04:18 PM

Not sure how far you intend to go with this image but I would caution that trying to knock off too many years seldom works. Just a couple of thoughts. I don't think you needed to extract the lady. A light grey background is more flattering and it is easier to select the pen tool, select the wainscotting and clone it out. The eyes seem to have too much eyeliner (my taste only) but to lighten the eyes a bit, I would use the lassoo and run a slight curves adjustment. Too much and the eyes will look phoney. For the hair I suggest using the burn tool set to low opacity and slowly build the blacks. For me, totally black wouldn't work for this lovely lady. Pretty nice job on the teeth by the way. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Me in hall 05.jpg (92.9 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Patron

Her's a sample of the direction I would take. I selected the eyes and moved the hue to a deep blue-green. They appeared to be missing a distinct pupil so I added a dark center to each. Next the face is a bit too magenta. I used the Image>Adjust>Selective Color in Photoshop to reduce the magenta and add a bit of yellow to normalize the skin color. I started out making her hair dark brown but it didn't suit her. So I just used an airbrush at low opacity with the burn tool to darken it. I only went part way through the process. If you think that is the way to go, you can continue from there.
Regards, MM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carpman MM Rev Thumbnail.jpg (97.5 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2006, 12:28 AM

I did what I think you were asking for (not that I think the results are particularly approriate for an ID photo! :-))

First off, I'm using Paintshop Pro. I used the old red eye tool which has the ability to change iris color, pupil size and color, and even manipulate the glint. I think you could do the same thing by creating a separate layer and drawing brown circles for the irises and small black circles for the pupils. Make the circles a bit fuzzy and turn down the opacity of the layer until it looked about right. Then erase as necessary to make it fit between the eyelids.

For the hair, I extracted it (used the background eraser tool initially followed by a bit of post brushing.) Then I created a colorized version of the photo and applied the mask(s) to that to give me colorized hair. Then applied a curve to that for darkness. The hair is a bit reddish, but that's pretty easily adjustable in the colorize step--I'm just doing it for illustration purposes.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair_color.jpg (33.5 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2006, 12:46 AM

Carpman, I've but one small question. This is to be an ID photo? If I understand that correctly, will this woman eventually look like the finished product or will she remain as she is in the first image? Is there a contingency sorted out in the event there is great disparity between the end product and the real person to be ID'd through that photo?

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Patron

I don't do glamour, but I do use GIMP.

I first created a transparent layer set to multiply and roughly painted in the color that I wanted your hair to be (cleaning up any overlap of course). I did a Gaussean blur set to GIMP's defaults and adjusted the opacity down to make it look more natural. I did an overall AutoContrast (which, in GIMP all you do is do Colors/Levels/ and select AutoLevel on a duplicate layer and set the layer property to Value) to brighten it up a bit. I then flattened and duplicated for a total of 4 layers turning the baselayer off. I ran Tachyon Overlay using an Invert Tachyon Script-fu until the eyes were brightened like I liked it. Merged all visible layers and duplicated the base layer and moved Center layer to top and selectively erased around the eyes. Flattened and created a Transparent layer set to Saturation and painted the whites black (this lightens them up a bit). Flatten and done. You seem to be able to knockout photos, so I leave that up to you.

Forgot to add that I reduced the redishness a bit by duplicating for total of three layers, set the top layer to Value and Center layer to Screen and adjusted opacity of Center layer to taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me in hall 05.jpg (52.4 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by lkroll; 01-08-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2006, 01:34 PM

Well I did a total fantasy makeover, with dark hair, just for a lark. As the final touch I used a Radiant filtre which I'm not certain I fancy overmuch. I left the teeth alone, though, so you can see a wee bit of the original.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...eeno5/D-Me.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching