RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to make the nose same color as skin

Old 01-23-2006, 10:50 PM

have you tried? I know I am new but...

Did you try switching the resolution (image size)? or switching Image/Mode/RGB and 8bit? Sometimes if its in the wrong mode I know I have problems. As well with Proof Setup/Working CMYK... sometimes I as well have to play around with those settings to get it. Course I have only been playing around with it for only two months.

Idea as well Ok so I am not an expert just a dabler but maybe using Phototune's Skintune Plugin might help at least set the other colors in the picture of skintone. Then possibley switching modes and see what happens? Then maybe you could clone it bit by bit in small areas. Because you could always switch back....

Biffstress
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 12:03 AM

I created a second raster layer with the color blend mode (standard color blend mode in Paintshop Pro X is based on the HSL color space). The color blend mode in Photoshop (which is called color-legacy in Paintshop Pro) is significantly different. When I'm doing something like this, I always try legacy and non-legacy. In all cases so far (knock on wood) one or other worked.

Anyway, the HSL color blend seemed to be the ticket in this case. Just sampled the cheek and then painted on the color blend layer.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nose_color.jpg (16.5 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 04:14 AM

Hi Gerald,

Had a very quick play with your picture.

New layer, clone from cheek, using clone brush set to about 10%.
New layer set to colour mode, sample from cheek, and colour stained areas round nostrils.

Colour correct with levels, adjust contrast as well.

Bit crude, but with more time a better job is possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img821(Prec)(1) copy.jpg (68.2 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2006, 11:00 PM

Make the nose same color as skin

I went to ByRo tutorial on Skin Tone Correction- Unclipping and was confused on which layer is A, B, or C. I don't understand if the 'C' layer is Image>Adjustments>Brightness, Duplicate and set blending to Color, or HSL layer. I got stucked on page 3 when he mentioned to back to layer B, and layer C. Can someone please explain which layer is which.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 05:18 AM

Hi everybody,

Gerald,

I strongly agree with Vikki .... It looks like someone else's nose ... meaning copied and pasted from another picture .... so, beside the colour, luminosity, contrast and sharpness are 'wrong'.

You didn't do anything 'wrong' since 'borrowing' parts from other pictures is a very common procedure in 'reconstruction' of missing parts .... It's the blending in of the 'borrowed' parts that's the killer .... and, if done wrongly not only it's a dead giveaway .... but it can make the subject look bizarre ....

Here, the colour mismatch is the one of the most obvious problems, but, to quote Vikki, even after correcting the colour,
Quote:
..... you'll probably have another problem here.
... well more than one as repeating myself "luminosity, contrast and sharpness are also 'wrong' ".

That said, I worked on the picture:

* Loosely selected around the nose and feathered the selection (Radius: 5 pxs)

* With the selection still active (marching ants around it) I created a Selective Colors Adjustment Layer ... (also very useful to adjust luminosity and contrast by tweaking the amount of 'Black' in the different colours )

* In the Selective Colors Adjustment Layer, click on the small downward arrow beside the 'Colors:' box to access the different Colours and make sure you have the Method: Relative checked

I tweaked the following colours only as follows:

REDS
Cyan: -8
Magenta: -15
Yellow: -17
Black: -13

YELLOWS
Cyan: -13
Magenta: -10
Yellow: -64
Black: -8

WHITES
Cyan: -24
Magenta: +3
Yellow: +3
Black: +18

NEUTRAL
Cyan: -10
Magenta: +3
Yellow: 0
Black: -4

Well, that had actually already solved most of the problems .... but there was still the issue of downtoning the shiny part on the bridge of her nose that worried you .... To fix that I simply created a blank layer set to Darken on top and, with a very soft brush (Opacity 20%), sampling colour from the surrounding areas, I carefully painted over it.... That was all ....

Hope this helps...

P.S. I had forgotten ... I have also corrected the nose's position twisting it ever so slightly to the left
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0097.jpg (82.8 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Flora; 01-25-2006 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Forgotten a point...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 10:44 PM

Make the nose the same color as skin

Flora, thanks for taking the time to write out more or less what you've had done to make the nose the same color as the skin. Yes, the nose wasn't mine, I copied it from someone that place a nose on that photo. I had tried several nose, but couldn't get the nose to match the skin. How can I bring back the color on this photo. Do I use the level, color variations, or color balance. I really appreaciated your help on the nose job, it came out very, very, close to the skin color. Thanks again.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 02:21 AM

Hi Gerald,

I restarted on the original posted on your other Thread .... I didn't redo all the restoration but simply removed the most disturbing spots and generally cleaned it up a bit so the colour correction could be seen better .....

One thing ... the colours I see on my monitor may differ from those you see on yours ... this is due to the possible different Monitor Calibration ... in other words colours that look just right to me may look 'off' to you ... so, you might have to change/tweak the values I give and adjust them until the colours look right to you ... but it is a start

That said, I corrected the colours and a bit the contrast with one Levels and one Selective colors Adjustment Layers.

Levels Adjustment Layer :

RGB
Input Levels: 26; 0.88; 247
RED
Input Levels: 71; 1.00; 255
GREEN
Input Levels: 0; 1.00; 255
BLUE
Input Levels: 22; 0.78; 231

Selective Colors Adjustment Layer :

REDS
Cyan: -30
Magenta: -4
Yellow: +13
Black: +7

YELLOWS
Cyan: -8
Magenta: 0
Yellow: 0
Black: +19

WHITES
Cyan: +7
Magenta: -9
Yellow: -21
Black: +24

NEUTRALS
Cyan: 0
Magenta: 0
Yellow: +3
Black: 0

BLACKS
Cyan: +9
Magenta: +9
Yellow: -7
Black: +17

These are the values that worked for me ... but, as I said, you might have to tweak them a bit differently ...

Hope this helps ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0103.jpg (98.2 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching