RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to make the nose same color as skin

Old 01-22-2006, 04:23 PM

I had tried everything possible in photoshop cs2 and cannot change the color of the nose to match the color of the skin. I had tried replace color, color replacement tool, hue saturation, and match color. I tried sampling the skin color with the brush and painted the sampler color but it doesn't work. The center of the nose has this shiny color that is driving me nuts. I cannot remove the shiny center of the nose, so everytime I painted any color on it, it gets shiny in the center. I had tried placing the nose on a separate layer and that doesn't work either. Can someone please help me.

Gerald McClaren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img821(Prec)(1).jpg (53.8 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Gerald McClaren; 01-22-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 04:36 PM

Try making an empty layer at the top of your stack--Cmc/Ctrl>N---set the blending mode to Color, sample the skin color you like, with a soft brush set to say, 60% opacity, paint over the area. Play with the percentage of opacity to see what works best.

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 04:47 PM

This is the original photo that I had restored so far. Changing the color of the nose was killing me.

Gerald McClaren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img821Prec(2).jpg (60.6 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 04:55 PM

Hate to ask such a dumb question Ken Fournelle, but what is Cmc in front of Ctrl + N means.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
but what is Cmc in front of Ctrl + N mean
I think it's a typo and should be CMD/CTRL + N the first (COMMAND) is the keyboard strokes for a Mac the second (CONTROL) for Windows.

P
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 05:21 PM

One of the problems is that you are trying to color an area (the shine) where there is no base color to change. If I'm assuming correctly, what you'll need to do is repair that area, then try to match the color.
To color that specific area, you can add a layer and set the layer mode to "color". Now when you color on that layer, the color will show over the image below.
Another issue I see, is that the nose looks too dark compared to the original. Actually, it looks like someone else's nose. You may get the color right, but you'll probably have another problem here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 07:04 PM

Thanks, Peter. It was a typo, sorry.

One thing that Vikki brings up that's true is by using the empty layer set to Color, sampling a color; you will not be able to paint over an area that has no data. byRo has an excellent tutorial, Skin Tone Correction - Unclipping to help correct this kind of problem. Look in the Tutorial section.
He also has an action for the tutorial that simplifies the unclipping steps.
It has been a great help.

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
One of the problems is that you are trying to color an area (the shine) where there is no base color to change. If I'm assuming correctly, what you'll need to do is repair that area, then try to match the color.
To color that specific area, you can add a layer and set the layer mode to "color". Now when you color on that layer, the color will show over the image below.
Another issue I see, is that the nose looks too dark compared to the original. Actually, it looks like someone else's nose. You may get the color right, but you'll probably have another problem here.
Convert to LAB first. It behaves very differently than RGB or CMYK. In those spaces, the lighter or darker you get, the more neutral the color. Painting a color in color mode has no effect because it's impossible to have something really bright that is also full of color.

LAB can spec any color you can think of and all the colors that are beyond your imagination as well, including one that is as bright as possilbe, yet also as green, or blue, or yellow, as possible. It's impossible to print such a color or display it, but Photoshop will attempt to split the difference and the result will be color in all the blown out areas. Since the display is already in RGB space, converting the file back to RGB will maintain the color (assuming the layer is flattened first). Then, the healing brush can put some believable texture into the area and you're good to go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 PM

Edgework, I don't understand what you're saying.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 10:31 PM

gerald,

i've seen a couple threads now where you've been working on this image, so i thought i'd drop in.

i'm attaching a fix here. all i did was the missing area, so ignore all the other things that are still wrong here.

ALL i did was clone and push. that's all. as i recall from your original post in the other thread, you ended up with what we call the 'pasty' look. this is a result of too much of the same clone all over or too much smudge or similar tools where you duplicate one tone too much. with clone and similar tools, you have to take small samples from all around the area you're trying to fix. and use a lower opacity on the tool as you do it. do small bits at a time. nibble it. start with the easy areas and work in. observe the area you're cloning from and the area you're going to clone to. the key is observation. zoom in. use a smaller brush. nibble, nibble, nibble. little bits at a time. i used a brush size of about 4 to 6 most of the time.

when i get most of the clone done, i'll sometimes use the push brush to smooth edges and blend the clone pattern out a bit. the clone pattern is simply where you're cloning the same thing over and over and it leaves a pattern. and on the push brush i used a very small brush also, about 2 to 4 or so. i 'drew' the missing nostril with the push and clone. clone gave me the colors from the other nostril and push allowed me to shape things.

it takes a bit of time, but not as much as you might think maybe.

good luck

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img821Prec(2)-1-k-1.jpg (72.4 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching