RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Porcelain Skin Look

Old 01-27-2006, 10:40 AM

Porcelain Skin Look

I'm just getting started in this restoration/retouching, but someone was kind enough to link to a website they had a portfolio posted on and I was captivated by the effect they were able to achieve in some of thier images:

http://www.ffureel.co.uk/p7.htm
http://www.ffureel.co.uk/p4.htm
http://www.ffureel.co.uk/p11.htm

I originally thought it might just be an extreme shadow/hilight adjustment but that didn't seem to get the job done.

I tried duplicating the base layer set the blending to soft light then play with a levels adj. layer as well, but that also, seemed to fall short.

Does anyone have any suggestions on obtaining this look posted in the above examples (also seems to be used in magazines a lot as well).

Thanks,
T
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2006, 11:16 AM

I don’t think that it’s very hard to get this effect, you should try to duplicate layer then blur it a bit and set to soft light, then make curves adjustment, desaturate it. I suggest you to work in LAB mode, I found it very useful, there’s bunch of information about it in this forum, try to search it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Patron

For the image of the lovely lady, I brought the image over to LAB and got to the same place by apply a heavy contrast in the L and shifting the A channel toward green. At that point, using a brush in Saturate mode, the eyes became thew exact same bright blue by increasing the saturation, as did the lips. The rest of it appears to have been airbrushed. If you examine the two images side by side you will see that a large hair strand on the neck has been removed along with all of the skin imperfections.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2006, 10:14 PM

I took a quick hack at this one
http://www.ffureel.co.uk/p7.htm

Very easy to duplicate..
1. Add a strong curves adj layer to the lightness channel (in lab mode)
I put points at 50/50, 25/9, and 71/88 (input/Output)
2. select original layer and select the luminosity as selection. ctrl-alt-~
3. Create new layer and Fill with white, set opacity to 80%
4. Select all and Add hue/sat adj layer. Pus sat to +62. Create mask to show the effects on her pants and lips.

That's it.. THe result is nearly identical

Last edited by delic; 01-27-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 02:21 AM

All this talk of lab mode, shifting this here and there, etc. will only mislead the poster and make it seem too difficult for him/her. He's new to retouching, so the explanations are over his head. Even I had trouble understanding it. Furthermore, while interesting reading, it's not even how the effect was done.

It's done with a series of simple selections of lights and darks, and then blend modes, with some colour corrections and some minor touch ups.

Twitch, here's the super-easy way. Go into the channels palette and find the most contrasty channel. Click it. Now hold down the Ctrl key and click the channel again. You'll see the marching ants and have just made a selection of the 'lights' in the image.

Return to you backgournd layer of person or thing or whatever you have going and copy/paste whatever's in this selection to a new layer.
Make the same selection - the easy way is to just go to Select>Reselect, but this time invert the selection, Select>Inverse. (This will be the same selection, only inverted, and will be used to select the darks.)
Return to the background layer and copy/paste the contents of this to a new layer.
If you've done that you'll have three layers. One of lights and one of darks, with everything in between.

1) change the blend mode of the layer with the lights to 'screen' and play with the opacity of the layer (and consider some blur of this layer as well)
- do colour corrections on this layer to get it looking like you want, any type will do, colour balance, hue/saturation, whatever you're comfortable with. You may like to reduce the saturation here if you want that milky-looking skin; the skin is practically blown out to white, but has some colour in it.

2) change the blend mode of the darks layer to multiply and play with the opacity
- do colour corrections on this layer to get it looking like you want

Finally, look around the image and find places you want to change with painting, gradients, or whatever, and play with their blend modes.

This is how that guy did not, not by those other methods. You'll still need to experiment with it to see what you can get working, but it's not too difficult. Attached is a near exact copy using the above recipe.
Try it, and if it doesn't work, pm me.

M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smiling_girl.jpg (98.4 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by Mig; 01-28-2006 at 02:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 12:05 PM

no offense mig but your post is the longest by far.. How do you know your way is the way this guy did the PP?? Are those links yours?? Screen/Multiply is the same as a high contrast curve..

Secondly, you learn by doing things ways that you are not familar. Im not bashing you, really, if your way works also all the power to you but converting to LAB, adding curves and hue/sat adj layers are not exactly a difficult thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 01:47 PM

These techniques (for me) can be done in any colorspace. I would not do it in cmyk, though. But you can wing it. I do it in L*A*B at times. RGB for others. I like L*A*B because it does keep color and contrast seperate. And you can blur the color channels a lot more than in RGB. The blending of colors are calculated differently in L*A*B than RGB. Mr. Margulis has this in his "Photoshop L*A*B Color". Where if your doing this kind of work(skin smoothing, basic retouching) it can be done in any color space you want. Their might be times though, where focusing on the color channels is the main issue or the luminosity channel, you might want to use L*A*B, but for more complex retouching, than for bluring, toning skin. You have to know what these colorspaces have/don't have to offer. For some, doing it in RGB is eaiser, because since....what, I think 99', when P.S.5 came out, all these techniques were in RGB. Where L*A*B, not many were working with it.

John Opitz
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Patron

Can get this effect easily ...

...by creating a highkey (my favorite method using GIMP is to duplicate layer, run a Script-fu called Invert Colours (inverts just the colors leaving the values intact; it actually does this on a duplicate layer so you now have three layers), move the top layer down (the Invert Colours layer) and set the top layer to Overlay. Set the middle layer to screen and flatten. Now download (if you do not have it already) Xero's Porcelain filter (which is free by the way) and run it. Done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 01:28 AM

no offense mig but your post is the longest by far..

it's long, but only long enough so that the original poster can follow and understand it. I tried to answer twitch's question, not send him into photoshop LaLaLand.

How do you know your way is the way this guy did the PP??

There's a link to contact the guy on his page. I don't need to ask him how he did it because I already know. If you're advanced user then you should be able to look at something like the pics on those links and identify the method used in a matter of seconds.

Secondly, you learn by doing things ways that you are not familar.

This is true. I enjoy trying different things, and you're right, this is one of the great ways to learn, by experimenting. As you know, there's often several ways to get to the same end by taking different routes in photoshop. The sample I posted speaks for itself and you can measure this by opening it in ps and checking the math against the original. You won't get the same measurements with the method you used. I tried.
Now, I'm not saying your method isn't any good or not worth trying. It's cool to bring up different methods and suggestions for exploration. Your solution is a good 'suggestion', but produces no way near an identical result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 04:25 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I'll take a stab at all the methods suggested, I'm sure they'll give me a good starting point for trying to get this method down

T
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching