RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

"Pimp My Portfolio" advice....

Old 02-06-2006, 05:58 PM

"Pimp My Portfolio" advice....

Im tryin to help a couple of friends out whos tryin to break into modelin. Now they got some real novice photographer to shoot them for very cheap and got what they paid for. Alot of their headshots dont move me at all. Because of the skill level of the photographer, their tru essence really wasnt captured. I want to add some essence, and am looking into different ways to create skin texture in photoshop. Now, I got cs2 version and want to add sharp skin texture to their faces. One of my Ideas was to sample different types of skin textures and create brushes out of them.Any other Ideas on EMULATUNG SKIN textures or Links to TUTORIALS please??????
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2006, 10:43 PM

I do not know where you are, but around here the last thing you want to do to a photo that is going to be used for a Zed card or a head shot for a modeling agency is to have it retouched. I have rephotographed many models that have been in the situation you outlined so they could get something the agency would accept.

So while it might be a fun project to work on, it will most likely not be something the model can use to advertise themselves.

Somewhere's I have read something that goes like this: When you bake a cake and frost it, you need a great cake and great frosting. Then when the frosting is on the cake, you take a tool and make some small designs in that frosting to make the cake a little more interesting visually. Producing a great photograph is the same. You take a camera, lights, skill, whatever you need to produce a great cake and the frosting that is on it, Photoshop is the small tool that makes that last small design to make it more interesting visually.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 12:30 AM

Hi AlfonzoFM!

Welcome to RP!

I tend to agree with Mike about retouching 'Portfolio pictures' .... but if you want to practice on getting beautiful skin without losing texture ... in other words ... beautiful non plastic skin ... you could read through this Thread... and have a look at this Tutorial ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 03:48 AM

Models and actors have been having their photographs retouched since the very beginning. Retouching is not something that started with photoshop and digital cameras. It took a lot more skill in ye olden days (no undo button ) but it still happened.
The key is retouching the right way. There are many things you should and shouldnt retouch in a portfolio picture. Bad photography is one of the things you definately can and should sort out in photoshop. A modelling portfolio should reflect how photogenic the model is, how well they pose and how varied their range is - not how much money they spent on the photographer.
There are many ways to improve a portfolio image, without making it unacceptable to a modelling agency. With the actual model, remember to only retouch non-permanent blemishes - eg zits, cracked lips, eye bags (only if they're due to a late night, not a permanent feature)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 07:25 AM

This link http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=30854 has free brushes for CS2 that emulate skin texture. I've used them for making realistic skin in 3D models and they are very good. Also there are tutorials on how to use these brushes to make realistic skin. Hope they help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 02:57 PM

AAAHW Thanks guys! Yall have showed me more than enough. Now Ima take these techneiques and try to add more of a leathery look for the men. Have yall seen the latest issue of 'American Photo'?!?!?!? Its the one Where theyve taken headshots of famous actors (Christopher Walken, Angelina Jolie, etc.) Have you seen the vivid detail that these photgraphers have taken?? The skin textures that were captured were amazing!!!!
I wanna try to create those in photoshop!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching