RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Colors like this-How to achieve

Old 02-07-2006, 06:44 AM

Colors like this-How to achieve

Okay i've got two select images that i think really show off the moody look really well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...91974848_o.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d1c1d527_o.jpg

I kinda understand what's going on here-burning and dodging, increase of saturation and also the use of a circular polariser to get the blue sky...but does anyone else have any other view as to how to achieve this PP?

I'd really love to try it out on portraiture, as in wide angle ones...

TIA!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Patron

Photos

Well both photos have used a wide angle lens with distortion and very high contrast with high saturation and a somewhat dark tone. For help on how to get that look why don't you post a picture and then ask help on how to change it to look like your examples.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 11:19 AM

Great idea! phil, i'll just find a suitable picture to use for this scheme....

i just find it extremely interesting how he's able to get the contrast going real high without being jarring...its not as if it's over saturated somehow....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 12:01 PM

To me those pictures look very similar to the high contrast effect I posted about here:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/12660-porcelain-skin-look.html

I would try Mig's method he described in post #5, I think you'll have good success wtih it, just play with varying oppacity of the multiplied and screened layers and use a curves adj. layer to tweak it and I think you'll be able to get the high contrast look very close to what they show in that picture.

Then probably mask out the foreground subject and apply whatever saturation increase to it you want. There's a chance they didn't even add any saturation to it, it could just look that way against that high contrast background.

T
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 07:01 PM

Some other things to note.

there is a dark vignette either post processed or caused by the wide angle lens..

Looks like there is some red channel blending to me as well. Granted a polarizer helps a sky out it seems too dark even for a polarizer.

Try copying the red channel and blending with multiply or color burn..

Last edited by delic; 02-08-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2006, 01:42 AM

hmm...i checked out the other post, but the effect's somewhat disimilia(as in the other thread touches on high-key exposures)r....in the examples i've posted-it does seem to be that a lot of dodging and burning has been done besides the extreme saturation...the dodging part i can get...i've tried opening the image in PS and burning further, seems like that's one part of the solution to get the contrast down first.

I'm just extremely how is it that such rich hues are achieved but yet it looks so very moody.what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2006, 02:25 AM

Whenever I see clouds like that, I think "clarify filter!".

I dug up a bland-looking image I have and did the following in Paintshop Pro X (first attachment is original, second is processed.)

1. Clarify Filter at maximum strength (ran clarify on all three color channels individually.)
2. Used the select color range tool to get the blue part of the sky.
3. Transferred that selection to the alpha channel of a curve adjustment layer. The curve was adjusted to darken the bluer parts of the sky.
4. Added a second curve layer with a radial gradient to add the dark vignette around the edges.
5. Slight desaturation. If I had a car, I'd do this desaturation on everything but the car.

I think this begins to approximate the effect--only took a few minutes. I started with a sub-par image from an old P&S, but it's what I stumbed on first.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orig.jpg (67.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg bold.jpg (86.2 KB, 109 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2006, 04:36 AM
Patron

Bart's Original

I selected the sky and copied it using mutliply blending mode. The rest I copied to another layer (using photoshop) and used vivid light blending mode. After combining these two layers I used a curves adjustment layer to lighten the center of the picture. I could have used the warp tool in photoshop to distort the image to a wide angle appearing lens but didn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spot.jpg (41.4 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2006, 08:24 AM

bart,

Quote:
1. Clarify Filter at maximum strength (ran clarify on all three color channels individually.)
ok, how did you do this? did you split the channels first or what? and if you split them, when you put them back with the original, how did you combine them and what blend mode(s) did you use?

Quote:
huh? what 'select color range tool' ?? you talking about the eye dropper or something else?

Quote:
3. Transferred that selection to the alpha channel of a curve adjustment layer.
i know how to get a selection into an alpha channel, but how did you apply it to a curves adjustment layer?
The curve was adjusted to darken the bluer parts of the sky.
Quote:
4. Added a second curve layer with a radial gradient to add the dark vignette around the edges.
and the same here, how did you apply a radial gradient to a curves layer?

boy, it may be time for me to go back and actually read the manual! even the help files have no reference to some of the things you're saying you're doing here.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2006, 10:00 AM

Select > Colour Range

Quote:
huh? what 'select color range tool' ?? you talking about the eye dropper or something else?

Go to the menu along the top. There is a menu called SELECT and in there you will find Colour Range. It is a great way to make selections of things such as hair or skin that you want to apply a blur to for example.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching