RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin problems, undefined...

Old 02-09-2006, 05:53 AM

i tried two methods, both similar to what flora did. in the first i ran psp's digital camera noise removal at settings of 70/70/70 66/50. that's normally pretty heavy but it was needed here. i ran this on the full rgb image first. i then make a duplicate layer and ran 7 band sharpen on it at roughly medium settings. this was to try to bring out the hairs more on the forearm.

for the second attempt i split the rgb channels and did what flora did on the blue channel, only instead of neat image, i ran digital camera noise removal. recombined the channels.

the screenshot shows both attempts. the one on the left is digi noise and 7 band sharpen. the one on the right, digi noise on the blue channel.

i also dont know what's going on with the photographer's camera(s), but it's certainly a bit unusual. the forearm hairs on the woman's picture does show a bit too much contrast. in fact, i'd recommend he re-shoot. it was pretty much impossible to truly get those hairs to show right.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg female-skin-1-k-1.jpg (94.6 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 06:11 AM

here's another way to do this:

make a duplicate layer of the background.

run psp's digi camera noise at settings to taste.
duplicate that layer and run a gausian blur of about 8 on it.
set the blend mode on the gaus layer to one of either, darken, lighten, hue, or color, again, to taste (i used darken).
adjust the opacity of the blend layer to taste (i used about a 60 opacity).

this allows you some control in how much detail you want in the skin as opposed to how much mottling.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg womanskin-2-k-1.jpg (94.3 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
... but, as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't touch the DIGITAL GEM Airbrush Professional ...
ok, does that mean this is not a good plugin?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 06:23 AM

Hi,

Craig,

The attachment of your first post looks very nice !!! .... The second one looks a bit too 'oversmoothed' in my opinion ...

pure

Quote:
ok, does that mean this is not a good plugin?
... No, I'm not saying that .... It's just that I don't like the rather 'unnatural' finish of Airbrushing .... but it's just a matter of personal taste ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 06:55 AM

flora,

thanks

i tend to agree, which is why i added the note of setting that gausian layer's opacity as desired. with different blend modes and different opacities, it's not nearly as bad. but then, you already know that i just wanted to show one, where if you wanted, you could sacrifice a bit of clarity for smoothness.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 07:10 AM

Folder 'correcion' (correction, as I should write normally ) contains curves and hue/saturation settings for the skin tone correction. When applied, it reduces banding in skin tone. Color has changed, as I've changed Photoshop color settings for the picture to remove the embedded profile. Picture become darker, so if photographer started in correction from RAW looking like this, he should apply strong contrast curve and saturate the picture a lot. So, to avoid this problem in future, you have to provide your RGB profile to photographer. If we speak about quick smoothing, I would propose a methode, which doesn't require any additional software, just Photoshop.

1. Select skin, save selection, make layer via copy, name it, say, 'Sharp'. Do unsharp mask to make pores look little bit oversharped, change the layer mode to luminosity.

2. Go back to the Background layer, load skin selection and make another layer via copy, name it 'Blur'. Apply gaussian blur to smooth completely the skin, add noise a little, load skin selection again and make a mask. Brush the mask where you need your details back.

3. Copy Background layer and put it over the 'Blur' layer, make opacity about 60%, so the skin become looking smooth.

4. Reduce opacity of the 'Blur' down, to get some skin structure back.

4. Mix opacity for 3 layers to get desired result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg womanskin_3.jpg (96.2 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 08:05 AM

onair,

i like your results. that's pretty similar to byRo's high pass/gausian process. instead of the usm, he's using high pass.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 08:17 AM

Yeah, that's even quicker, than mine
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 02:33 PM

doge and burn

If you wish to keep the texture of the skin, pores and hairs, you will need to use the dodge and burn method.

This means lighten the dark areas and darken the light areas until the skin tone is even. Avoid blur if you want to keep the texture.

Do a search for the user: Heyrad as he outlines the non-destructive dodge and burn method.

The actual dodge and burn tools are destructive to the image (ie The pixels are changed). The other method involves creating a new layer, check Full With 50% Gray, Make the blend mode SOFTLIGHT. Then on that layer paint with a soft brush set at 3 to 5% opacity. White for lightening and Black for darkening (dodging and burning)

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAir
So, to avoid this problem in future, you have to provide your RGB profile to photographer.
thanks for your help!

i am working in ECI-RGB always.
i dont know, i guess the digibacks shoot in Adobe-RGB? no, or in company-own-colorspace maybe, so converting from Adobe-RGB into ECI for example is not bad as ECI is wider and better for skin-tones i was informed by some colorexperts from my Fuji-printer.

do you mean he should shoot with ECI-RGB? i havent the faintest idea of that in the moment.

your "quick smoother" is very very good, a good relationship between time and effect, in my opinion the best.

i will do that in a hurry. ugly deadlines... sorry

when having more time, dodge and burn use to be the method of my choice, too.

thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching