RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

A great tutorial on Skin

Old 03-17-2006, 10:05 AM

byro, may i ask you something about the quickdegrunge?
i think i got it, i am not 100% sure i am doint it right.

i saw .your example of the breast area. currently i did one too,
could you please have alook?
i didnt get how to remove the spotty darker areas. hm, somehow the quickdegrunge didnt remove it here as good as you did.

i did it like: duplicated layer, had a view at gaussion, at number "8" the grunge was gone, but it looke very blurred (?), ok i wrote down "8" and applied this in hipass filter, and after that applied one third (2,5) in gaussian at the same layer. then i did like written, linear light with 50%.
the result is here:

did i do it wrong? i dont know. i think i dont know the right amount of hipass. this affects the gaussion then. mayb i do it way to high or low....dont have the faintest idea. must i play around with it more often?

thanks

1st example is my own workout of byro quickdegrunge
2nd is the Kodak Digital GEM Filter "Digital GEM Professional" with hipass layer above
3rd is my own kind of degrunging with clone stamp and healing brush in combination with little gaussian blur or surface blur and hipass.

i dont know what to think of these 3, whats your opinion? i d like to work on it and speed things up, also to improve it ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quickdegrunge.jpg (81.1 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg kodak_gem.jpg (86.9 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg clonetool.jpg (54.2 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by pure; 03-17-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
Can't be certain for PS6, but in PS7.0 you find it at Filter>Other>High Pass

Thanks, Ro, I'll pop over for a look!

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure
.....i didnt get how to remove the spotty darker areas. hm, somehow the quickdegrunge didnt remove it here as good as you did.

......had a view at gaussion, at number "8"
For the method to work well you want to use the lowest radius possible (makes for a finer skin). When I was deciding on the radius it became clear that there were two types of "grunge" present. For the finer grunge I used a radius of 6, and then applied again for the "spotty darker" areas with a radius of 12.

As you used a radius of 8, you got caught in the middle - pores larger than necessary and remnants of the darker spots.

Of the three, the Kodak plug-in gave a better result. I downloaded the free sample. As I see it, it works like the plug-in I still dream of making (the seven-band equalizer), although this has three bands.

Your method seems to leave the pores uneven. In places the skin is almost flat, in others quite heavily textured.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2006, 04:29 PM

thanks for more detailed insights, thats very helpful for me,
i try it later and report then.

7band equalizer sounds terrific, the kodak "digital GEM" has 3 bands, how do you recognize?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure
the kodak "digital GEM" has 3 bands, how do you recognize?
I don't have it installed on this machine, but as I remember there are three sliders that correspond to high / medium / low frequencies.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2006, 02:45 AM

yes first i used the digital GEM and secondly applied the GEM airbrush plugin

http://www.asf.com/products/plugins/...uginAIRPRO.asp

2 combined. i didnt find any other plugins so far who work well in this short period of time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellby
From Heyrad's post:

Everything being discussed here so far can be considered a great way of achieving the end result. The important consideration here is flexibility. If you use a GRAY layer in an overlay/soft mode, you can dodge and burn with white or black till your heart's content.. The problem is, that if your dodging and burning are on the same layers-- no flexibility... If you REALLY wanna get your hands dirty and do things the smart way... Here's a method that I developed to help get the job done with the most flexibility and control...

After I remove the pimples and do light spotting on an image, I create a layer set and call it "D&B". In that layer set I create(in this order from bottom to top) adjustment layers... Curve(LIGHTEN), Curve(DARKEN),HUE(DESAT),CURVE(CONTRAST). On the LIGHTEN curve, I lighten the mids and fill the layer with black to hide. With this layer, I'll paint with white at about 1-5% depending to lighten dark spots on the skin. on the DARKEN curve I darken the mids and fill with black as well so that I can use this to darken light spots on the skin-- the goal here is to even out the skin tones. The HUE layer is used to desaturate the image. Lord knows we get tired of looking at a monitor. Desaturating helps my eyes when I'm working on fine detail. The CONTRAST curve is helpful to display the dark/light spots better-- again for my old eyes... I select a point on the CONTRAST curve that represents the dark/light spotting of the skin and I pump an S curve in it to bring out the contrast so I can see it better... After zooming in to about elevendy billion percent to work on the fine points of the skin, I begin to zoom out and use larger brushes... When I'm finished and happy with the results. I turn off the CONTRAST and HUE curves and VIOLA.... total control. Now you can color adjust your little heart out and not effect the dodging and burning. You've got total control of the dark and light curves and you can easily revisit them with your little paint brush.
Shellby can you post anyone psd file with the basic layers to view curves?
thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2006, 05:14 PM

confused

Not really sure what you are asking, sorry.

You can create the curve layers using adjustment layers at the bottom of your layeres pallet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2006, 05:16 PM

layer set for d&b .Thks for your help, very useful

Last edited by superfrasky; 04-13-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2006, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellby
Not really sure what you are asking, sorry.

You can create the curve layers using adjustment layers at the bottom of your layeres pallet.
Shellby

Re: the curves layers. You say on one you lighten the midtones and on one you darken the midtones. I tried your technique and with some success. I was very impressed, however, I wasn't sure how much to lighten and darken those curves. Would it be right to say lighten the light curve until the darkest spot you want to eradicate disappears and darken the dark curve until the lightest spot you want to elimnate disapppears? Also what is the main advantage of the D&B technique over, say, judicious use of the healing brush? I mean would you use this technique to remove freckles, pimples etc or do you only use it to neutralize uneven tones in the skin. I used it on a picture to remove freckles and while at first glance it appeared to have worked very well, upon closer inspection, I noticed lighter colored spots where I had removed the freckles. Obviously I had over lightened and I just need more practice. I probably had the lighten cure too light as well.

Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching