RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Colors for Colorization

Old 02-25-2006, 11:08 PM

Thanks vikki for your suggestion. I just bought the book a few weeks ago , have done a few tutorials and it is a wonderful book. I think the frustration also comes from wanting so badly to be able to do work we see posted here. I see a lot of people come and go and wonder why? Maybe they get frustrated too..but I always come back if just to see what is going on for postings. Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2006, 05:59 AM

Hi Neb and KlassyLady

I do understand how you feel.
Reading the tutorials here at RP is a good start but it is not enough just to read them. You actually need to DO them and then, if you get stuck there is a discussion thread where you can post your questions.

You could do the same here in this thread. If you want to learn to colourize then there are good tutorials here
http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161018
And here
http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=160986

And the one Flora and Vikki prefer is here
http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161015

Try them all and choose the method you prefer. Try them on Lonk’s picture and if you get stuck then post your questions in this thread. Someone will always help.

As Lonk has said. Teaching is difficult. But you will always find someone who will help with a specific point.

Vikki’s suggestion of Katrin Eismann's books is a good one. These books are excellent. Especially the first one.’Restoration and Retouching’.

Whatever you do. Don’t give up. The more you do then the easier it comes. Try pictures from older threads and see if you can replicate the work. You don’t need to post the results. Just try ‘em.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_DeanK-comp.jpg (98.3 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2006, 06:43 AM

Smile Thank you all

Never have been a quiter and have appreciated all the thoughts here, especially Neb.... Thanks girl!!

I do plan on getting the Katlin books. And I am reading the turtorials that were listed. If I can sing Italian and German, I will be able to do this too.

I will continue to learn and read from those of you here at RetouchPro, because this one of the best forums I've seen. All grown-ups here and that I like very much!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2006, 03:16 AM

Hi Neb and KlassyLady,

I can understand both of you more than you can imagine .... As a PS self-taught person, on opening it after installing it for the first time, I thought I had landed on Mars for what I could understand!!!! ....

English isn't my mother tongue so I tried to get an Italian version .... well, let me assure you it didn't help me one bit .... I could understand the explanations very well in both languages, but definitions and terminology were unknown to me ... no matter in what language ....

I started hunting the Internet searching for help and landed by chance at http://www.arraich.com/ps_intro.htm .... There I found (in my opinion) the most detailed 'beginners' help of all .... Snapshots of Tools, Brushes etc. accompanied the explanations on 'what', 'where' and 'how to' ... I took my first PS steps following the Tutorials found there .... I know, most of it was written for PS 7, but Tools and basic definitions and usage haven't changed much, so, I still think it's a great help to get familiar with the 'basics' even if you are 'lost' in a higher version of PS or, maybe, even for 'translating' Tools and functions for adapting them to other Software...

I know it is very frustrating when, reading tutorials, tips etc., you realize that the explanations given imply that you should know the exact path to get there, on the other hand, if for every tutorial one should take snapshots of each tool being used, its location and, possibly, describe its functions, the whole procedure would become a never-ending affair ...

RP is definitely one of, if not THE best place to be in the field ... even if I have to admit that, in spite of knowing a great part of PS like my own pockets, I simply don't understand some explanations given by members with a much higher level of knowledge than I have and will ever have...

I'll talk to Doug to see if it's possible to add an 'Absolute Beginners' Forum ... even though, unfortunately, my life rhythm and localized technical problems (regular power cuts here in SA for one...) can influence the regularity of my presence at RP ...

In the meantime here are some links from a google search for PS for beginners:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2123/226/
http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tuto...beginners.html
http://www.photosjop.com/
http://www.computer-training-softwar...toshop-cs2.htm ... this site is about a 'Training CD' but you have very good demo files to be seen with the QuickTime plug-in ...
http://www.photoshop-tutorials-plus....torials-1.html

Hope this helps...

P.S. ....thanks for your kindness Neb and Craig!!!!

________
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2006, 10:13 AM

Flora and Ken : Thanks so much for the post and information posted . Going to go to the sites , as a matter of fact did go to the Beginners one Flora and it is for 7 and I have CS2 but bet they are pretty much the same ??

Flora , about the Help File ..it is not at the bottom ..it just is not there!! I do not have a clue as what happened to it!! Ken posted a site to go to to fix it , but I am afraid to try!! Thanks to All. Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2006, 06:53 PM

I agree. I found some of the info on sites Flora suggested to be extremely helpful. One on curves was especially informative. Thanks, y'all!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 01:16 PM

Hi,

... so glad you found helpful info in some the links .... even more so because, for the moment, my quest for an 'Absolute Beginners' Forum hasn't been very successful ...

In the meantime, I think our Education Forum which offers help for "Books, courses, other websites. Discussion of anything to do with learning." is the best place to use ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2006, 07:54 PM

This thread seems to have been somewhat hijacked - but seeing as the subject is interesting, I'll jump in too!

One of the "truths" that I have always subscribed to is that the teacher always learns more than the student. My experience here at RTP has reflected this exactly. Although I did know PS pretty well before posting here, I cannot even measure how much I have learned by tackling the questions and problems of others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraellin
but a mix of student levels and teaching levels. so, it's sort of like the old schools where all the grades were in a single classroom and the students in the higher grades were expected to help the younger ones.
Exactly! Taking your example...For this to work well - the second graders should teach the first graders, the third teach the second, and so on......

Moral: If you see a question that you think you can answer - go ahead! If you are right, you have helped someone and confirmed your knowledge (and feel good ). If you are wrong, then you will end up learning something new when a "third grader" comes along.

I'm rooting for the "Absolute Beginners"* forum along with Flora . Not only for the beginners to have a "safe" place to post their questions, but also for the "second graders" to have a place to start their teaching careers.

(* maybe with another name - RetouchPRO 101?)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I'm rooting for the "Absolute Beginners"* forum along with Flora . Not only for the beginners to have a "safe" place to post their questions, but also for the "second graders" to have a place to start their teaching careers.
i havent looked recently with the 'beginners' idea in mind, but dont we already have some of this on retouch? also, if this were to be implemented here, you'd need a beginners for photoshop, beginners for paint shop pro, painter, photo impact, art rage, deep paint, impressionist, etc. etc. you just cant really learn ps from psp or vice versa. some things translate, some dont.

also, there is no reason that 'sister' sites cant be put up by folks other than doug nelson. well, i might have to qualify that a bit. certainly you'd want to coordinate with doug for a true 'sister' site. for those that may not know what i mean by 'sister' here, i'm just talking about a sort of affiliate site. you could liken it to the children companies of a bigger company like general electric which owns other companies like rca or nbc. a sister site would be one closely associated with the parent or original, but might have a slightly different purpose or theme. in this particular case it would be a more basic learning site and perhaps a bit more structured in its learning/teaching regimen.

either way, done on retouchpro, or done as a sister site, it's a good idea. i dont have the current knowledge to handle forum software, nor is my uplink speed on my own site good enough for a larger sister site type operation, but i'd certainly be willing to help out in some other capacity.

and just as a side note to all this, i believe retouchpro's database must be getting huge by now. i've noticed a bit of slowing now and again at times. this could just be internet traffic woes, but i have seen where some forum databases get so large that they begin to bog the site down. so a sister site might well be the way to go here.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 07:06 AM

Smile Absolute Beginner's Forum

I'm afraid that I was the beginning of the hijacking and thankful for all that has been said and will be.

Three years ago I lost my full time job (which I am now thankful for) and I started down the road I am now. Most of my years were spent raising my children and had only returned to work to help and keep busy. I had only worked a short time before the company folded. During that time my friend opened his doors to help him learn the editing field using Adobe Premier Pro, which I still enjoy doing. But during his teaching time he found himself in major surgery 3 times. I thought he couldn't top it after the first but he managed to top that one by having a quad bypass. Then it was a year and 1/2 before the aortic aneurysm was removed. I sat with him when his wife was at work and it was during that time I started working on pictures because he has to sleep to heal.

I found I loved working on pictures. But like most things I started at the back of the book figurativiley speaking... I have recently purchased Katrin Eismann's book (2) and will work on them but it is through RetouchPro,that I have grown.

It's important to have people to talk to. You all are wonderful. I won't name names, though I could, but know that I appreciate that have helped.

This is my morning reading material and every opportunity that I have I come here to read and learn. My Adobe library started out with one action... then two, well you get the idea.

Flora, I would be honored to be in the "Absolute Beginners Class". And when I graduate I will have the opportunity to give back what has been given... so if it happens, COUNT ME IN!!

Sincerely,
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching